Some L comments that... aren't great

We’ve brought in the following Grad Transfers under Coach L:

- Z. Johnson
- K. Stone
- D. Kirk
- J. Thomas

Clearly the majority of these players were decent or better. In fact, 3 of the 4 were expected to be solid contributors. Again, J. Thomas is just an example of 1 Grad Transfer. He is the outlier.

None of these Grad Transfers were cancers. None of these Grad Transfers were unwilling to compete.

Advertisement
I repeated myself once. The roster management crowd repeats itself continuously for months on end. Also, my repetition spurred him to actually do some research, so it was effective.

Miami was making the tournament every year before the FBI, so I assume that means you were OK with the roster management until 2018.

"At some point" = this offseason. We brought in 4 guys last year. It's not realistic to expect that we would've brought in 6 decent players in one cycle. There's a limited pool of those and we are not a top tier program.

And yes, they have to be decent players. I rather have a useless player than an unused scholarship like most of you, but unlike most of you, I am able to put that into its proper context. Having an Anthony Mack and Joe Thomas last week vs UNC would've had no impact on the outcome. We needed a Bruce Brown and a Lonnie Walker. Our 2018 version of those guys don't exist, because we had a recruiting class of 0.

Actually, I said when you're in the tournament every year AND you have 11 D1 players. 2017 and 2018 were cute, but we were one and done both times. At no point in the last five years have we had depth. We can't pin this year's roster on one recruiting cycle. It had been an ongoing issue and now it came back to bite us.

You make a valid point. The point myself and the rest of the roster management group are making is that once you are not able to bring in a freshman recruiting class, use those scholarships on grad transfers. That gives you players to compete for the upcoming season and allows the coaches to use those scholarships again for the following recruiting class. Last Summer, there were over 110 grad transfers in the transfer portal.

The FBI investigation was last season's excuse so let's not use that excuse any longer. The grad transfer solution should always be used whenever there are unused scholarships unless you have 5 seniors on the roster for the upcoming season. Then, take a regular sit out transfer but there are always high school seniors available. They are probably players who need to redshirt to develop into contributors.

I am not going to debate you on whether or not Anthony Mack or Joe Thomas would have contributed against Carolina but I can tell you for sure, 8 is still better than 6, except in golf.

I agree with almost everything you said.

The only thing I disagree with is the notion that the FBI excuse is no longer valid. Just because we're tired of talking about it doesn't mean it's not valid. L's strength is player development, and he doesn't have a sophomore class to develop. Add the sophomore versions of Bev, Wong, and Walker to this team, and it's likely a tournament team.

I think the big year for L is next year.

He's also top 200 nationally in offensive rating, turnover rate, and 2pt FG%; his rebounding has drastically improved to where he is top 400 in both offensive and defensive rebound rates; and there are even signs that some of his weakest areas are improving, as his block rate is now top 500 and his FT% is a respectable 57%, due to going 11 for his last 13.

He's far from a star but he has had a really nice year. Kudos to him and the staff.
You can't be serious. I am not on here calling for L's head like some, but there is no defending Rodney Miller as a basketball player. The guy is not ACC material, is not in shape or athletic, and is consistently outclassed in 1-on-1s against conference competition. The fact that he has to play big minutes is an indictment on the quality of the roster.

I agree with almost everything you said.

The only thing I disagree with is the notion that the FBI excuse is no longer valid. Just because we're tired of talking about it doesn't mean it's not valid. L's strength is player development, and he doesn't have a sophomore class to develop. Add the sophomore versions of Bev, Wong, and Walker to this team, and it's likely a tournament team.

I think the big year for L is next year.

I am glad we could come to a form of agreement.
I just don't support the notion of not using the scholarship at all. It seems as if no one has a plan B. I just advised that grad transfers are a plan B. A temporary solution to a short term problem.
Yes. Next year has the potential to be special but we need to use all the scholarships to keep the momentum rolling.

Advertisement
You can't be serious. I am not on here calling for L's head like some, but there is no defending Rodney Miller as a basketball player. The guy is not ACC material, is not in shape or athletic, and is consistently outclassed in 1-on-1s against conference competition. The fact that he has to play big minutes is an indictment on the quality of the roster.

Uh, there is. In fact, I just did.

The guy is not a star, probably not even a starter, but he's been legitimately good on offense. The traditional as well as the advanced numbers back that up. He's very bad defensively but has improved slightly, and his rebounding is now almost adequate.

I guess you haven't been watching him in conference play. He's played much better in conference play than in the non-conference. Look up the numbers for yourself.

He'll be a valuable backup next year.

Fascinating.

Your level of obsession with this issue is off the charts.

Yet, you prefer to say the same old things to the same old posters in this echo chamber, rather than do any research that would bring context to this issue.

How frequently do other teams not use their scholarships? Idk, and it seems to me that none of you do either. It's strange to have such strong feels about this without knowing that - unless the goal itself is to be grouchy and complain, in which case being well-informed is irrelevant. For example, I read that UVA has multiple unused scholarships this year. In recent years, Syracuse has made the tournament playing very short rotations. All of this information would provide needed context to this issue.

How often are the 11-13th scholarships handed out to guys like Joe Thomas at other programs, and how often does that work out? For example, at UNC I believe they now have multiple veteran guys from smaller schools filling their last scholarships for 1-2 years. It has not helped them this year. And if those guys are useless and are still the best UNC can do, that likely means the guys we would get would be much worse. I wonder how frequently teams fill their scholarships with small-school veterans, and I wonder how often they end up contributing.

All of this would be interesting to know, and given how much time you guys spend repeating the same stuff to each other, one would think you have time to research it.

Nobody plays more than 10 guys but, somehow, us having 10 guys is a huge indictment of the coaching staff.

Oh and injuries and FBI suspensions are signs of bad roster management.

Advertisement
Nobody plays more than 10 guys but, somehow, us having 10 guys is a huge indictment of the coaching staff.

Oh and injuries and FBI suspensions are signs of bad roster management.

Florida State, Baylor, San Diego State and Duke are a few teams that play 10 guys.
Just a few teams off the top of my head.

Advertisement
While watching the Baylor at Texas game on ESPN. Fran Fraschilla brought up an interesting point about Baylor.
He states that 8 of the 14 players on the roster have taken a red shirt to get better and older.
There are so many ways to build a roster so not filling scholarships is not an option.

While watching the Baylor at Texas game on ESPN. Fran Fraschilla brought up an interesting point about Baylor.
He states that 8 of the 14 players on the roster have taken a red shirt to get better and older.
There are so many ways to build a roster so not filling scholarships is not an option.
The Gillespie (sp?) kid, a strong big man piece for Baylor, was a freakin' DIII transfer (from Carleton College in Minnesota). Lotta good players in unexpected places. Australia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Greece, Canada, JuCos, grad xsfers.

You'd think we'd strike real paydirt sooner or later, just on the luck of the draw, meaning a level up from Manu and DJ and Murphy, several tiers higher than Sam. Transfers (Grad and regular) are where we've really thrived.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back