Some L comments that... aren't great

The article is free, but there were a couple highlights that made me want to rip my hair out.

So why enter the year two scholarships short, a season after a lack of a full roster was an issue?

“We tried,” said Larranaga, who has guided the Hurricanes to four NCAA Tournaments and an ACC title in his nine seasons. “We really tried. These last two years our recruiting has been very seriously challenged under circumstances that were totally out of our control.”

This isn't nearly the defense Jim seems to think it is. I've said it a couple times, but if for whatever reason, the coach isn't capable of fielding a competitive roster, he shouldn't be the coach anymore. If Jim's admitting that, two years later, recruiting is STILL being effected by the investigation, he's in trouble. If the taint from the investigation hasn't warn off by now, it likely never will.

While having a full roster would arguably be beneficial, it has not been a huge priority as Larranaga has long valued the freedom of having at least one opening for potential transfers, who have sometimes made impacts.

Admittedly, this is not a quote, and may be an editorialization. Regardless, I can't quite put into words how horrible this logic is, so I'll let Peter Griffin do it for me.

“You’re trying to figure out a balance of who’s good enough to play for you with who really wants to come,” Larranaga said. “You can get players, but if they’re not really good enough to win, then there’s no sense in signing them and then handcuff yourself as to when someone is available that you can get that you don’t have a scholarship available because you have a player who can’t really help you win, but he’s on your roster and he takes up one of those scholarships.”

Reed, Jekiri, Izundu and Amp were all 3 star recruits that hardly made an impact as freshman, frequently looked over-matched early on, and eventually developed into useful players. This defeatist attitude almost suggests that Jim doesn't think he's capable of developing players. Its truly bizarre, especially since, outside of Anthony Mack and arguably Rodney and Uceda Cruz, there hasn't really been a player on the team recently that legitimately had no chance to compete in the ACC.

Advertisement

The article is free, but there were a couple highlights that made me want to rip my hair out.

This isn't nearly the defense Jim seems to think it is. I've said it a couple times, but if for whatever reason, the coach isn't capable of fielding a competitive roster, he shouldn't be the coach anymore. If Jim's admitting that, two years later, recruiting is STILL being effected by the investigation, he's in trouble. If the taint from the investigation hasn't warn off by now, it likely never will.

Admittedly, this is not a quote, and may be an editorialization. Regardless, I can't quite put into words how horrible this logic is, so I'll let Peter Griffin do it for me.

Reed, Jekiri, Izundu and Amp were all 3 star recruits that hardly made an impact as freshman, frequently looked over-matched early on, and eventually developed into useful players. This defeatist attitude almost suggests that Jim doesn't think he's capable of developing players. Its truly bizarre, especially since, outside of Anthony Mack and arguably Rodney and Uceda Cruz, there hasn't really been a player on the team recently that legitimately had no chance to compete in the ACC.

First off, thank you for posting the biggest question about the men's basketball team. This is great and will be a fun thread to discuss.

I am not throwing Coach L under the bus but he cannot take the victim approach to the roster management issue. This is a seven year problem. Yes, the FBI investigation hurt but it did not cause this problem.
I understand Coach L wants to keep a scholarship available for a transfer but he is not taking transfers during the season. Yes, Sam came mid-season from high school but honestly, can we say that was beneficial.
Having scholarships available in the Summer for transfers is acceptable but you have to have all 13 scholarships filled before the start of school. Filling all 13 scholarships is the goal, not an option. At some point, if you don't feel a 3 star high school player can develop into a starter or key reserve for you in four years, take a grad transfer to fill the scholarship for the season and let's try again next year for a capable freshman. It is really that simple.
This past Summer, once it was confirmed Wong, Beverly and Walker were going to be the incoming freshman class, filling the last four scholarships should have been used on four grad transfers. Sit out transfers is an option but under our circumstances, Miami needed grad transfers to play immediately. Coach L signed Stone and took Brooks without getting a waiver then left two scholarships unfilled.
That is poor roster management.
This is somewhat an overreaction to the situation but I have a feeling that Caputo and Fisher are recruiting kids to the program and Coach L is saying no instead of closing the deal. I could be and hope I am wrong.
If I am right then this is a sign of burnout. Recruiting takes a lot of work and you don't stop until all 13 scholarships are filled. If a coach does not have the drive, determination and energy to recruit then his coaching ability is useless as no amount of coaching ability makes up for a talent deficiency.
The best statement we can hear from Coach L at this point is that Miami will add two high school senior bigs to the 2020 recruiting class and have 13 scholarship players for next season, guaranteed.
If that does not happen and Miami deals with this for a 3rd year in a row and 8 out of 11 seasons, then it confirms Coach L is burnt out and needs to be removed.
In fairness, let's give him one last chance to get this right, even though I feel he should know better as I expect better from a experienced coach like Coach L.

Advertisement

You’re literally too dumb to understand. Sad.

This guy is beyond senile at this point and I’ve been saying it for multiple seasons. He literally steals a paycheck, doesn’t give two s*its about his job and blames his shortcomings on something that hasn’t been relevant in three years. If we had an AD with male reproductive organs, he would have been forced out after last season. Honestly shocked that talents like Cross and Timberlake see through this crap because we literally have ZERO momentum as a program right now

This guy is beyond senile at this point and I’ve been saying it for multiple seasons. He literally steals a paycheck, doesn’t give two s*its about his job and blames his shortcomings on something that hasn’t been relevant in three years. If we had an AD with male reproductive organs, he would have been forced out after last season. Honestly shocked that talents like Cross and Timberlake see through this crap because we literally have ZERO momentum as a program right now

Message board fan demonstrates anti-evolutionary impact of governmental social welfare programs.

Message board fan demonstrates anti-evolutionary impact of governmental social welfare programs.
There is a reason why I have the clown on ignore. He is the same dope who posted that he couldnt wait for Davon Reed to graduate. That is all you need to know about him.

Advertisement
Coach L and staff need to stop with the excuses and get the job done. If they can't do it, then we need to find a staff that can. FBI investigation happened 3 years ago. Recruiting is a major, major issue here. Coach L had a difficult time pulling the top in-state kids. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Dewan (who practically fell on his lap), Miami hasn't been able to get any of the elite Florida prospects.

Pure vomit

Doubters? Where are his supporters? Does anyone think he can average (more than) the following:

MPG: 15
PPG: 5
RPG: 3
BPG: .5

Those aren't even good numbers. Those are backup numbers.

So who thinks Rodney will put up better than that this season?

Rodney is averaging....

MPG: 24.7
PPG: 7.2
RPG: 5.9
BPG: 0.7

:****:

Rodney is averaging....

MPG: 24.7
PPG: 7.2
RPG: 5.9
BPG: 0.7

:****:

You joined two days ago and your third porst is to bump an old post. Very random.

When you get a chance, can you let us know how many baskets he allows a game with his atrocious D?

Coach L and staff need to stop with the excuses and get the job done. If they can't do it, then we need to find a staff that can. FBI investigation happened 3 years ago. Recruiting is a major, major issue here. Coach L had a difficult time pulling the top in-state kids. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Dewan (who practically fell on his lap), Miami hasn't been able to get any of the elite Florida prospects.

We were the only team named in the FBI report to be negatively impacted with recruiting to the point that we can't fill out a roster. Somebody explain how that makes sense.

Advertisement
Haith's last recruiting "class" consisted solely of Akpejiori and Swoope, neither of whom ever became much of a factor. That was waaay before the FBI issue. This is not a short term problem.

Last edited:
Advertisement
13/14 12 on scholarship 14/15 - 12 on scholarship 15/16 11 on scholarship 16/17 10 on scholarship 17/18 12 on scholarship. We had quite a few transfer and at least 3 kicked off the team during this span. The last 2 years because of the FBI garbage we have had to play shorthanded.

13/14 12 on scholarship 14/15 - 12 on scholarship 15/16 11 on scholarship 16/17 10 on scholarship 17/18 12 on scholarship. We had quite a few transfer and at least 3 kicked off the team during this span. The last 2 years because of the FBI garbage we have had to play shorthanded.

Who's fault is that?

No, we chose to play shorthanded. There was no penalty handed down that reduced our available scholarships.

Fascinating.

Your level of obsession with this issue is off the charts.

Yet, you prefer to say the same old things to the same old posters in this echo chamber, rather than do any research that would bring context to this issue.

How frequently do other teams not use their scholarships? Idk, and it seems to me that none of you do either. It's strange to have such strong feels about this without knowing that - unless the goal itself is to be grouchy and complain, in which case being well-informed is irrelevant. For example, I read that UVA has multiple unused scholarships this year. In recent years, Syracuse has made the tournament playing very short rotations. All of this information would provide needed context to this issue.

How often are the 11-13th scholarships handed out to guys like Joe Thomas at other programs, and how often does that work out? For example, at UNC I believe they now have multiple veteran guys from smaller schools filling their last scholarships for 1-2 years. It has not helped them this year. And if those guys are useless and are still the best UNC can do, that likely means the guys we would get would be much worse. I wonder how frequently teams fill their scholarships with small-school veterans, and I wonder how often they end up contributing.

All of this would be interesting to know, and given how much time you guys spend repeating the same stuff to each other, one would think you have time to research it.

Advertisement
Back