Some Info for you guys:

KevinCosio

Sophomore
This is from the other board: I feel like u guys should have access too. Because in the end were all Cane Die Hards and we all want this program back to bring Great....

First and foremost, hats off to Jim and the rest of the basketball staff for the job they've done with all facets of that program. Great student involvement, great player development, great recruiting, great game day coaching, etc. Everyone in that building knew that they were attending a game being played at a very high, nearly elite level.

The AD held a very nice moment of silence in honor of Edna Shalala who passed away yesterday at the age of 103. As we did not go up to the box, we didn't see President Shalala (if she was there at all), but it was a nice tribute.

Despite the stellar passion, hustle, coaching, and play on display last night, it seemed that the football program was on the tip of EVERYONE's tongue in the Hurricane 100 room. Blake came by to do his usual glad-handing, and did not look good. Several other assistant AD's were all toting party-line, which is something to the effect of:

"We know the situation sucks, we're not happy either, but we can't stay on the 4-5 year hamster wheel of swapping in and out coaches...let's GIVE IT TIME."

To say that none of us were particularly encouraged by these sentiments is a gross understatement. Everyone saw through the BS and basically said, as AG once did, "are you kidding me?"

Here is some information, unverified, gleaned from several conversations yesterday:

1) The AD knows that the football program is a bad place right now
2) The football progarm is full of "toxicity" and no one is coming to work with a smile on their face in the FB offices
3) Kelly Golden is VERY unhappy with the situation at Miami and/or continuing to live in Miami
4) Realistically, the Goldens probably want out sooner rather than later
5) Realistically, the AD wants out sooner rather than later
6) The hefty buyout is a huge obstacle to getting movement RIGHT NOW
7) General consensus among the boosters and few trustees from which I got info was that pretty much everyone wants him gone
8) It looks like the powers that be, despite wanting him gone, are biding their time hoping that Kelly wanting out and AG knowing how small of a margin for error there will be next year's record will push AG to resign on his own and take another gig somewhere else
9) Everyone knows that Coley is an asset, D'Onofrio is a liability

Also, had a great time spending time with the basketball coaches after the game. Great coaches and, across the board, really good people.

Advertisement
lol it was posted in WTH's earlier tgread but doesn't hurt to have it at the forefront.

Any one else heart broken that Kelly Golden dislikes Miami? I'm all busted up about that.

Advertisement
Thanks for the information. Not sure if I can believe it, but thank you. Highly convinced you'll get cussed out in some fashion soon, just because.

Says to me that he's not going to make any changes. He doesn't care anymore. He probably wants his buyout. And lets face it, if anyone here had a 4-5 million dollar payday coming for being fired, they wouldn't be walking away from that either.

He will be here next year, and sadly, it seems that Donofrio will too. I think at this point he wants to get fired and get his buyout. This is the worst of all worlds situation.

I also don't get this "hamster wheel of firing a coach every 4-5 years". That's how its DONE. 2-3 years, yes I agree with that. You cant be ****canning coaches after 2-3 years over and over again, especially paying what UM does, because it will become a highly undesirable job, which it already is questionable. But 4 years is a fair amount of time to expect results. In 4 years, he is back to square one. Lots of talent, lots of hype, and no results. He's had a fair shot, and failed. Nothing wrong with firing a coach that got 4 years to show some palpable improvement, and fell flat on his face.

lol at waiting for Al to quit. Please.

Al ain't quitting. If he does, that's a career killer. He knows it. Kelly knows it. Blake knows it.

Says to me that he's not going to make any changes. He doesn't care anymore. He probably wants his buyout. And lets face it, if anyone here had a 4-5 million dollar payday coming for being fired, they wouldn't be walking away from that either.

He will be here next year, and sadly, it seems that Donofrio will too. I think at this point he wants to get fired and get his buyout. This is the worst of all worlds situation.

I also don't get this "hamster wheel of firing a coach every 4-5 years". That's how its DONE. 2-3 years, yes I agree with that. You cant be ****canning coaches after 2-3 years over and over again, especially paying what UM does, because it will become a highly undesirable job, which it already is questionable. But 4 years is a fair amount of time to expect results. In 4 years, he is back to square one. Lots of talent, lots of hype, and no results. He's had a fair shot, and failed. Nothing wrong with firing a coach that got 4 years to show some palpable improvement, and fell flat on his face.
This. 4-5 years is the standard for schools where winning in football is paramount. Unfortunately it is clear we just don't care about that anymore.

Advertisement

Al ain't quitting. If he does, that's a career killer. He knows it. Kelly knows it. Blake knows it.

Yeah I don't get this at all. LMAO. Why on EARTH would he quit? He's making 2.2 Million dollars a year, and would forfeit 4-5 million dollars of a buyout if he did.

If it was my gig, I would just keep right on doing whatever until they fired me and bought me out. He knows **** well he will not be getting any gig that pays CLOSE to what he's making now quit or fired, so he's going to ride this as long as he can, and then take the money, and a lower level position after he gets the boot.

There is ZERO chance this guy quits unless there is some sort of negotiated buyout where both sides agree to terms. But he's not going to leave all that money on the table.

I will disagree with this. If you get fired you do get the buyout but if the team is worse next year than this year his future earnings will be severely impacted to the tune of more than 5 million. He leaves now he can get another gig making a couple million a year ala Tubberville bailing on TT before he got ran out.

No kidding. The way off that "hamster wheel" is to hire a winner. The AD and his minions are the same low character type as Al. They can't do their actual job, which is to hire winners and raise cash (thats it). Instead, they do nothing but pump out excuses and say platitudes like "no one is happy about this." Well fix it or GTFO.

The truth is they lack the means and the skill to fix the issue so we get low character excuses, like the "cloud," the "agenda" and now the **** "hamster wheel."

Pathetic. If I ran my professional life like these clowns, I'd be unemployed.

Advertisement

Yeah I don't get this at all. LMAO. Why on EARTH would he quit? He's making 2.2 Million dollars a year, and would forfeit 4-5 million dollars of a buyout if he did.

If it was my gig, I would just keep right on doing whatever until they fired me and bought me out. He knows **** well he will not be getting any gig that pays CLOSE to what he's making now quit or fired, so he's going to ride this as long as he can, and then take the money, and a lower level position after he gets the boot.

There is ZERO chance this guy quits unless there is some sort of negotiated buyout where both sides agree to terms. But he's not going to leave all that money on the table.

+1

If Kelly is unhappy I would imagine that he'll be taking the next available gig out of town.
Doesn't really surprise me if true either, Miami is a weird animal and I know a few people that have moved to the area and cannot wait to leave.

IMO Miami personifies the "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" adage.

Advertisement
There was More that you Forgot To post....

"I apologize for the lack of clarity. The AD wants out meaning that the Athletic Department knows that continuing the relationship with AG long-term is likely not in the FB program's best interest and would like to sever that relationship sooner rather than later.

A few more general thoughts I forgot to include:

1) Golden is a "stubborn" head coach in that he has his philosophies that he truly believes will work and will die trying
2) Offensively, he is a "ball-possession" HC, meaning that he wants to possess the ball and run a lot to chew clock and slow the game down and keep the defense off the field
3) Defensively, he is a "bend but don't break" HC (no surprises there) and he wants to limit big plays but not necessarily dictate to the opposing offense as much what to do
4) He has had struggles with Coley who is an aggressive scoring coach and has repeatedly encouraged him to run more and pass less to keep the defense off the field
5) AG is very energetic and passionate, but is not adapting his philosophies to the current situation
6) Many boosters are canceling their season tickets or intending only to buy a reduced amount
7) Some boosters who have provided airplane usage for AG for recruiting purposes will not be doing so anymore because of the general unhappiness with the FB program's performance and direction

Lastly, the boosters are not happy with the PSU debacle last year and have NOT forgotten it. He lost a lot of support and cred with a lot of supporters at that time."

JC

The problem is no one wants that bich. He would have been gone already. The only reason Penn St even looked at him was because he played there

If Kelly is unhappy I would imagine that he'll be taking the next available gig out of town. Doesn't really surprise me if true either, Miami is a weird animal and I know a few people that have moved to the area and cannot wait to leave. IMO Miami personifies the "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" adage.
If you're a *****.

Advertisement
Back