Some defensive thoughts from the spring game.

hharvey09

Recruit
I'm a db coach at a d3 school and a former high school dc/db coach so a lot of this focuses on the back end of the defense.

-The corners and safeties were a lot more aggressive in the spring game. A lot more press and a lot more cover 1 and cover 3. if this is any indication of where the defense is heading I like it. Even in zones they're pressing and they're shifting to zones late so it's hard for a quarterback to get a pre snap read of what the defense is trying to do. Even in cov. 4 (quarters) the corners were pressed like Michigan St. I liked it.

-Both safeties are coming to the box or becoming the deep middle safety. This goes along with making it harder for the quarterback in pre snap. You need 2 really good safeties cause both have to be great tacklers, diagnose runs/pass keys fast, and be able break from numbers to numbers. I thought they did a pretty good job doing this and there were hardly any miscommunications, which is what you want in the spring.

-Love Artie Burns and Tracy Howard pressing! You got a track star that can make up ground if he's beat and former 5 star who's a great field corner and led the team in picks. (Would have liked to see him high point the ball on that last pick instead of waiting on it!) I say go mano y mano against the wide receivers in the ACC, outside of FSU I don't think there's a team that can match up those two. I think that caused the qbs to have those bad completion percentages. Fades are the lowest percentage throws and when your going against press man you gotta win those one on ones on the outside.

- I'd love to see Gunter at nickle with that big frame. I think he's physical enough to bring it on runs, can cover slot guys one on one, and play good underneath zone coverage. I wasn't impressed with Tracy at that spot. I don't know if he wasn't comfortable there because he's so used to being outside, but he just wasn't very physical there.

-Saw a lot more "40" fronts and nickle on early downs which I liked. One problem we saw last year was the defense sent out personnel for downs and distance instead of matching the offenses personnel. Switching defensive personnel for Down and distance is fine if you play a team that goes 21 and 12 personnel(backs and tight end) on 1st down and 2 and med and switch to 10 and 11 personnel (more receivers) on 3rd and med to long. But when you play spread teams who go 10,11,00 personnel on all downs you gotta match db to receiver. If not you'll have Shavon Green on a slot receiver on 1st down.

-I thought the D lost focus once the offense start going fast and couldn't get lined up. If you remember last year that was a problem. If they can get this solved it will go along way in beating teams like North Carolina and Louisville who go no huddle and go fast.

-Will go back and look at some front stuff

Advertisement
Good write-up - welcome to the board! Always good to have some coaches posting!! There's an X/O thread I started with some good ol' genuine football discussion - would love to hear a DC's take on things as well.

Good stuff.

-Saw a lot more "40" fronts and nickle on early downs which I liked. One problem we saw last year was the defense sent out personnel for downs and distance instead of matching the offenses personnel. Switching defensive personnel for Down and distance is fine if you play a team that goes 21 and 12 personnel(backs and tight end) on 1st down and 2 and med and switch to 10 and 11 personnel (more receivers) on 3rd and med to long. But when you play spread teams who go 10,11,00 personnel on all downs you gotta match db to receiver. If not you'll have Shayon Green on a slot receiver on 1st down.

This is the biggest problem I had with our scheme last season. We were in our base D on first down or second and long even when opposing teams had 3 wide sets.

Good to see we're fixing this issue.

I think you'll see a lot more nickel looks going forward - hallelujah!

I'm a db coach at a d3 school and a former high school dc/db coach so a lot of this focuses on the back end of the defense.

-The corners and safeties were a lot more aggressive in the spring game. A lot more press and a lot more cover 1 and cover 3. if this is any indication of where the defense is heading I like it. Even in zones they're pressing and they're shifting to zones late so it's hard for a quarterback to get a pre snap read of what the defense is trying to do. Even in cov. 4 (quarters) the corners were pressed like Michigan St. I liked it.

-Both safeties are coming to the box or becoming the deep middle safety. This goes along with making it harder for the quarterback in pre snap. You need 2 really good safeties cause both have to be great tacklers, diagnose runs/pass keys fast, and be able break from numbers to numbers. I thought they did a pretty good job doing this and there were hardly any miscommunications, which is what you want in the spring.

-Love Artie Burns and Tracy Howard pressing! You got a track star that can make up ground if he's beat and former 5 star who's a great field corner and led the team in picks. (Would have liked to see him high point the ball on that last pick instead of waiting on it!) I say go mano y mano against the wide receivers in the ACC, outside of FSU I don't think there's a team that can match up those two. I think that caused the qbs to have those bad completion percentages. Fades are the lowest percentage throws and when your going against press man you gotta win those one on ones on the outside.

- I'd love to see Gunter at nickle with that big frame. I think he's physical enough to bring it on runs, can cover slot guys one on one, and play good underneath zone coverage. I wasn't impressed with Tracy at that spot. I don't know if he wasn't comfortable there because he's so used to being outside, but he just wasn't very physical there.

-Saw a lot more "40" fronts and nickle on early downs which I liked. One problem we saw last year was the defense sent out personnel for downs and distance instead of matching the offenses personnel. Switching defensive personnel for Down and distance is fine if you play a team that goes 21 and 12 personnel(backs and tight end) on 1st down and 2 and med and switch to 10 and 11 personnel (more receivers) on 3rd and med to long. But when you play spread teams who go 10,11,00 personnel on all downs you gotta match db to receiver. If not you'll have Shavon Green on a slot receiver on 1st down.

-I thought the D lost focus once the offense start going fast and couldn't get lined up. If you remember last year that was a problem. If they can get this solved it will go along way in beating teams like North Carolina and Louisville who go no huddle and go fast.

More nickel? Sounds like a great idea.

Advertisement
One problem we saw last year was the defense sent out personnel for downs and distance instead of matching the offenses personnel. Switching defensive personnel for Down and distance is fine if you play a team that goes 21 and 12 personnel(backs and tight end) on 1st down and 2 and med and switch to 10 and 11 personnel (more receivers) on 3rd and med to long. But when you play spread teams who go 10,11,00 personnel on all downs you gotta match db to receiver. If not you'll have Shavon Green on a slot receiver on 1st down.

This I believe drew the most angst from observers. There can be no justification for coaching of this ineptitude.

I have yet to watch the spring game (on dvr waiting at the house for me), but the play when Tucker scored from about the 5 it seemed as if there was little pressure at the line. I remember a few times last year when the opposition was in a goal to go scenario and our LB's were back on the goal line instead of showing line presence. Can anyone enlighten me if this is the norm in this defense, and what the benefit to giving an offense a 3 yard head start is inside the 10? Thanks

Advertisement
One problem we saw last year was the defense sent out personnel for downs and distance instead of matching the offenses personnel. Switching defensive personnel for Down and distance is fine if you play a team that goes 21 and 12 personnel(backs and tight end) on 1st down and 2 and med and switch to 10 and 11 personnel (more receivers) on 3rd and med to long. But when you play spread teams who go 10,11,00 personnel on all downs you gotta match db to receiver. If not you'll have Shavon Green on a slot receiver on 1st down.

This I believe drew the most angst from observers. There can be no justification for coaching of this ineptitude.

YUP. I also think this is why many were sold a bad bill of goods when we played UF because their traditional offense played right into what we wanted to do. When they came out in traditional sets we were able to atleast look competent. That gave many hope for the season but as the season wore on and we played more teams that have gotten away from the ol run on first and second, pass on third down offense, Our DC was exposed bad week in and out. Said it for awhile dude seemed to coach from some old version 1 how to coach defense for dummies booklet.

I have yet to watch the spring game (on dvr waiting at the house for me), but the play when Tucker scored from about the 5 it seemed as if there was little pressure at the line. I remember a few times last year when the opposition was in a goal to go scenario and our LB's were back on the goal line instead of showing line presence. Can anyone enlighten me if this is the norm in this defense, and what the benefit to giving an offense a 3 yard head start is inside the 10? Thanks

The score Tucker scored on for some reason Carter was way out of the formation guarding a WR I think. I was like WTF?

The score Tucker scored on for some reason Carter was way out of the formation guarding a WR I think. I was like WTF?

Probably just got caught in a man situation where if he got a detached #2 receiver he would go out with him. Just got caught in a bad call there

Nice post OP.

I saw a lot more Cover-1 as well. I like. I like our CB's over just about any WR unit in the ACC. I think this is the way we need to go against FSU. I feel like Winston will tear up zone defense but struggles against tight man coverage. That's how Bush got his pick in last season's game. We were playing man and Bush was at Safety playing clean-up.

Advertisement
Nice post OP.

I saw a lot more Cover-1 as well. I like. I like our CB's over just about any WR unit in the ACC. I think this is the way we need to go against FSU. I feel like Winston will tear up zone defense but struggles against tight man coverage. That's how Bush got his pick in last season's game. We were playing man and Bush was at Safety playing clean-up.

I completely agree. QB's are taught from middle school how to beat 2 high and 1 high safety, zone defenses.But man is the easiest coverage to install and if you are equal or better it's the hardest to beat because you have nowhere to go with the ball.

Good write-up, Harvey.

I'm still unsure who we have to play CF, though. If we're going to go single high, we better do something different up front.

Very interested to see how Artie develops. He looked lost and really struggled against Louisville. I always thought he should've been put at safety.

Any DB coach worth their salary should develop Artie into a day 1 or 2 DB by the time he leaves here.

For the upcoming season, how many guys do we use for the CB rotation? And who gets who left out?

Artie, Howard, and Gunter are locks. Then we have Crawford, elder, and hope coming on strong this spring.

As for safety

Carter, Bush, Crawford, and Jenkins will obviously get most of the burn. So expect Hester to start getting more play by around game 4 or 5 and how he performs will determine the rest of his playing time for this season.

Looking at those 5 guys, what a special group we could have in 2015. Those 5 safeties along with the possibility of Jaquan, SBB, etc.

Advertisement
The opinions of the Spring game by some posters the last couple days have been on point. A lot of good info to read for us guys who couldn't watch it.

Probably just got caught in a man situation where if he got a detached #2 receiver he would go out with him. Just got caught in a bad call there

I'm only a porster not a corch. If you get a chance please go watch the play again and let me know what you think.

Not a coach or scout, but a seasoned fan, this is a great write-up. I think we are going to see a whole new defense next year. Those two jc transfers (saturday saw some stout movement upfront with 93 and 91 in together), and few of the freshmen (Chad & AJ Moten) are going to help this defense compete in a big way. Way too many Experienced talent at every level!!!

Advertisement
Back