Some Coaching Names to Watch for 2020

I'll add to this list over the next 12 months but here are some early, more realistic names i'm tracking for next year's coaching cycle if/when Diaz gets canned. I highly doubt we go the coordinator route again so i've excluded them from this list:

Luke Fickell - Cincinatti
Current Salary - $2.3 million

He's likely going to USC if that job opens next year (former Cincy AD is there) but he's 25-12 as HC at Cincinatti and has turned the Bearcats into one of the best Group of 5 teams in America. Spent 15 years at OSU (including one year as interim HC) which will certainly serve him well on the recruiting trail.

Josh Heupel - UCF
Current Salary - $1.7 million

Wouldn't be shocked if he gets the Mizzou job this time around but he's done a really good job at UCF (21-4 in two years) and already knows the South Florida recruiting landscape. Would love to see him bring Randy back as DC, along with Jeff Lebby as OC.

Eli Drinkwitz - App St
Current Salary - $750,000

Probably my personal preference on this list as he's young (36) and has familiarity with the region and of the conference (waS OC at NC St). Just won 11 games in his first year at App State and is from the Gus Malzahn coaching tree, so you know the man is going to be innovative on offense. Have to think he's NC State's first call next year should they fire Doeren.

Bryan Harsin - Boise St.
Current Salary - $1.55 million

Highly doubt he ever leaves Boise (is from there and played there) but definitely someone kicking the tires on assuming he has bigger aspirations.

Bill Clark - UAB
Current Salary - $1 million

Honestly really surprised he hasn't taken a bigger job (in the SEC?) already but he's quietly put together 8, 11 and 9 win seasons in succession at a program that had previously agreed to drop football.

Billy Napier - ULL
Current Salary - $875,000

Coming off a 10 win season at a fairly difficult school to have success at. Was a big time recruiter at Alabama to boot. Might be a bit wet behind the ears but have to think he'd jump if we came calling.

Will Healy - Charlotte
Current Salary - $700,000

This is more of a futures bet, and perhaps an Al Golden-esque hire, but he's just 34 and just took Charlotte to their first ever bowl game in his first season. Go watch YouTube if you want to see the kind of energy he brings to a program.

Advertisement
Google really needs to work on its targeting better

2019-12-04_1551.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I'll add to this list over the next 12 months but here are some early, more realistic names i'm tracking for next year's coaching cycle if/when Diaz gets canned. I highly doubt we go the coordinator route again so i've excluded them from this list:

Luke Fickell - Cincinatti
Current Salary - $2.3 million

He's likely going to USC if that job opens next year (former Cincy AD is there) but he's 25-12 as HC at Cincinatti and has turned the Bearcats into one of the best Group of 5 teams in America. Spent 15 years at OSU (including one year as interim HC) which will certainly serve him well on the recruiting trail.

Josh Heupel - UCF
Current Salary - $1.7 million

Wouldn't be shocked if he gets the Mizzou job this time around but he's done a really good job at UCF (21-4 in two years) and already knows the South Florida recruiting landscape. Would love to see him bring Randy back as DC, along with Jeff Lebby as OC.

Eli Drinkwitz - App St
Current Salary - $750,000

Probably my personal preference on this list as he's young (36) and has familiarity with the region and of the conference (waS OC at NC St). Just won 11 games in his first year at App State and is from the Gus Malzahn coaching tree, so you know the man is going to be innovative on offense. Have to think he's NC State's first call next year should they fire Doeren.

Bryan Harsin - Boise St.
Current Salary - $1.55 million

Highly doubt he ever leaves Boise (is from there and played there) but definitely someone kicking the tires on assuming he has bigger aspirations.

Bill Clark - UAB
Current Salary - $1 million

Honestly really surprised he hasn't taken a bigger job (in the SEC?) already but he's quietly put together 8, 11 and 9 win seasons in succession at a program that had previously agreed to drop football.

Billy Napier - ULL
Current Salary - $875,000

Coming off a 10 win season at a fairly difficult school to have success at. Was a big time recruiter at Alabama to boot. Might be a bit wet behind the ears but have to think he'd jump if we came calling.

Will Healy - Charlotte
Current Salary - $700,000

This is more of a futures bet, and perhaps an Al Golden-esque hire, but he's just 34 and just took Charlotte to their first ever bowl game in his first season. Go watch YouTube if you want to see the kind of energy he brings to a program.
Randy back as DC?! Gtfoh!!! Other then that good list my friend. 👍

Advertisement
Mike Houston (ECU) is one to watch in 2-3 years....he won at Citadel using triple option, won National Championship at James Madison using spread and ECU competing in his first year.

when I moved from Lauderdale to Franklin NC my JR year he was a couple years behind me. Don’t know what kind of staff he would have but unless he’s changed drastically (haven’t seen him in years) he would have a really hard time relating in the SFL scene!

when I moved from Lauderdale to Franklin NC my JR year he was a couple years behind me. Don’t know what kind of staff he would have but unless he’s changed drastically (haven’t seen him in years) he would have a really hard time relating in the SFL scene!

Nah, I wasn't projecting him for UM job.
Just saying that I think he is one to watch going forward.

Advertisement
Back