Some Canes about to hit the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
High points the ball, back shoulder, and runs smoother routes. Waddle has more wiggle but that rarely translates to a legit #1 WR the NFL, especially at his small stature.

History repeats itself. Eerie similar to the Fins overdrafting the OSU kid because he was supposed to be the next Hester. Problem was he wasn’t quite Hester in the return game and had suspect hands. Now they are taking a vastly undersized WR to be a #1 because he’s the next Hill. Is Waddle Hill? I don’t see it. Hill plays with a huge chip every time he touches the ball.
Tbh DeVonta Smith is much more physically reminiscent to Ted Ginn Jr than Waddle. Waddle & Ginn weighed virtually the same but Waddle is 5'9.5" vs Ginn being 6'1". What separates Waddle to Ginn is Jaylen can make contested catches & take hits while still catching the ball, Ginn was only useful running go routes & kickoffs.

Advertisement
Tbh DeVonta Smith is much more physically reminiscent to Ted Ginn Jr than Waddle. Waddle & Ginn weighed virtually the same but Waddle is 5'9.5" vs Ginn being 6'1". What separates Waddle to Ginn is Jaylen can make contested catches & take hits while still catching the ball, Ginn was only useful running go routes & kickoffs.

that’s why people can’t just focus on measurements. Smith is a completely different player than Ginn was. Ginn was a one route kind of guy - smith is the antithesis of that.

that’s why people can’t just focus on measurements. Smith is a completely different player than Ginn was. Ginn was a one route kind of guy - smith is the antithesis of that.
Waddle is also the antithesis of Ginn was what I was saying

That’s not at all the point my friend. I’m not comparing them to Ginn. I comparing Ginn to Hester and Waddle to Hill. It’s a copy cat league and those that try to copy usually fail miserably. I believe Waddle is the smallest guy to be taken in the top 6 possibly ever. All because they want the next Hill.

We can revisit this in 3 years. My money is that they should’ve taken Sewell or kept the 12 spot and gotten Smith with 3 first rounders next season. They essentially used 2 first round picks to get Waddle. That’s an insane gamble with bad odds.

That’s not at all the point my friend. I’m not comparing them to Ginn. I comparing Ginn to Hester and Waddle to Hill. It’s a copy cat league and those that try to copy usually fail miserably. I believe Waddle is the smallest guy to be taken in the top 6 possibly ever. All because they want the next Hill.

We can revisit this in 3 years. My money is that they should’ve taken Sewell or kept the 12 spot and gotten Smith with 3 first rounders next season. They essentially used 2 first round picks to get Waddle. That’s an insane gamble with bad odds.
Fair enough, I think Waddle can be good w/o having to live up to the Hill comparison but I see your point. Originally I wanted Grier to stay put at # 3 overall & we definitely paid a steep price for Waddle, just gotta see how it plays out now.

Advertisement
loop vortex GIF

(I dont know anything just wanted to get back on track)

High points the ball, back shoulder, and runs smoother routes. Waddle has more wiggle but that rarely translates to a legit #1 WR the NFL, especially at his small stature.

History repeats itself. Eerie similar to the Fins overdrafting the OSU kid because he was supposed to be the next Hester. Problem was he wasn’t quite Hester in the return game and had suspect hands. Now they are taking a vastly undersized WR to be a #1 because he’s the next Hill. Is Waddle Hill? I don’t see it. Hill plays with a huge chip every time he touches the ball.
Tua has high-pointing back-shoulder-catching WRs all over the roster, and smooth route running doesn't necessarily equate to separation. Miami wanted someone that could consistently take a short pass the distance and they got the best player with those skills.

Advertisement
nah, Waddle has higher receiving and scrimmage averages per play than Smith in 2020 and throughout his career.

Come again.
Irrelevant. Smith had 48 career touchdowns to Waddle's 20. Waddle may end up being a better pro, but Smith was better at Alabama and it's not even close.

Tua has high-pointing back-shoulder-catching WRs all over the roster, and smooth route running doesn't necessarily equate to separation. Miami wanted someone that could consistently take a short pass the distance and they got the best player with those skills.
Alot of people speak on it but dont really know the fins roster.

Smith cant work in the slot like Waddle honestly and take short passes the distance like that...doesnt have returna bility either.

Its the fit for them. Just seen Smith in the Training camp clip looking like a high school wr. lol Mans gonna have ot live up to them Marvin Harrison comparisons ppl give him and hope he have a Peyton Manning throwing him the rock.

Advertisement
Alot of people speak on it but dont really know the fins roster.

Smith cant work in the slot like Waddle honestly and take short passes the distance like that...doesnt have returna bility either.

Its the fit for them. Just seen Smith in the Training camp clip looking like a high school wr. lol Mans gonna have ot live up to them Marvin Harrison comparisons ppl give him and hope he have a Peyton Manning throwing him the rock.
Smith took 35% of his snaps in the slot in 2020 for 863 yards.

Also

Exactly

Advertisement
Double down on bad decisions. It's what Miami does. Draft a QB who can't push the football and draft a WR at a historically high point for size to "compliment" their prior year draft mistake. At least we don't have a QB with the first name Jay am i right?

Last edited:
We watched them play with each other for 4 games this past season and the one defenses paid the most attention too wasn't Smith. With the extra attention Waddle still outperformed him. It is funny that because Waddle is faster than anybody he plays against he's apparently just a gadget WR now for some people. Both great players. We've seen guys like Waddle do their thing in the NFL. Steve Smith and obviously Reek Hill. Devonta is gonna be a bit of an anomaly if he eats.

The Dolphins took the more accomplished less physically gifted QB one year and then took the more physically gifted less accomplished WR the next year. Carson Wentz was below average in year 1, a near MVP candidate in year 2 and finished his Eagles career as unplayable. Baker Mayfield went from a rookie sensation to trash back to playable. Josh Allen was bad as a rookie to an MVP candidate in year 3. Anybody who thinks they know who Tua and Herbert are gonna be based off their rookie years hasn't been paying attention.
Tua was selected because he fits the culture Flores was trying to establish. He is also a leader of men and rises to the occasion when put under pressure. As a cerebral QB they tend to take more time to develop than the guys with the physical traits. It was a little before my time but didn’t Tom Brady rely on his defense his first couple season, than stepped up to efficient, and he is now the Goat(and I absolutely hate Brady, hard for me to complement the guy like that,but it is the truth).

Personally I wanted Smith and we got him. Imo Smith was always at a different level , especially with route running. Waddle is fast but Smith is a complete player, he’s just skinnier than I’d like. I’m just happy my birds took the guy I wanted .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back