Some Advice to Mario from another local reporter

Advertisement

A response to this article explaining how off-base it is would be similar to having the patience of explaining to a toddler why they can't have cake and ice cream before dinner.

Big Manny might not be successful in the end, but he is building an organization with what appears to be a very well practiced and proven methodology.

It is anathema to our era of instant gratification and this constant Lifetime Channel "you have to let me be me to be free!" garbage drama.

The first 3 words of the highlighted sentence - Could it be - should speak volumes to many. She doesn’t know anymore about what’s going on inside the locker room then the man in the moon and admitted she doesn’t know squat about the game. Total speculation and bullshyt - as usual - from the local hacks masquerading as reporters who **** sure aren’t journalists

Anyone that lends any credence to these hacks are fools - plain and simple.
Her approach is incredibly naive and misinformed.

Advertisement
Well…what an accomplishment. She has actually found a way to lower the bar for Miami media.

eaaf63ec-00f1-4663-a0b0-29ca62b7547c_text.gif

I have no sympathy for Mario..You guys are trippin' if you think Mario didnt invite every tom, **** and harry into his program to give him feedback on what he can do better for us to not be a local, statewide and national joke anymore. This is what happens when you are 3-4 and have blowout losses to Duke and MTSU. EVERYONE is in your business!

You think its bad now? Wait and see what happens if we get beat by FSU at home. Your gonna get all kinds of people coming out of their caves trying to help him right the ship. Because at that point we are more than likely not making a bowl game and the season is over. It will be the longest offseason that I can remember in a loooooong time if that scenario plays out.

I actually agree with the general premise.

I mentioned this very thing to my bud last week.

From my faint recollection, Mario's FIU teams had some attitude to them. I met Mario once too. He was an excitable guy.

Then, he went to Bama. Is he being who he is or is he trying to be someone he's not (Saban)? People can see through you if you're trying to be something you're not.

I don't see any excitement from the players on the field. College kids are very susceptible to the ebbs and flows of a game. No, I don't want kids celebrating down 20, but a little attitude wouldn't be such a bad thing. Let the kids be kids (to a degree). The business-like thing is great if you're Bama but we're not. If the kids can get a little edge from celebrating a good play or jumping around a bit, so be it.

Advertisement
The dancing stuff was stupid and tbh I don’t care if the players are having fun at practice ( I know they aren’t ) but there’s also some truth in that article. Not a lot of it but some.
Is it fair to say that Mario’s recruits are enjoying practice and the grind of the season more than others?

The dancing stuff was stupid and tbh I don’t care if the players are having fun at practice ( I know they aren’t ) but there’s also some truth in that article. Not a lot of it but some.

Aka nobody on the team likes playing for Mario or that his style of play/scheme isn’t fun?

Oregon players seemed to like playing for him outside of a few butthurt ones

Maybe the players at Miami have just been too coddled

There’s a reason why we see hyped up/coddled guys from south Florida go to SEC schools and then transfer. Those coaches don’t mess around. They have big boosters, high expectations and a lot of fan base pressure. It’s cutthroat

And that’s why they win. It’s what Mario is trying to instill here but 80% of the players aren’t used to it or can’t grind like that

I saw plenty of excitement after the first Duke TD. In fact, I commented to my buddy next to me that it was the most celebrated score of the year.

Advertisement
Highlights:

-Nobody, not Mario Cristobal, not any of his players, not any University of Miami staff member, booster or reporter who attended the coach’s emotional introductory news conference last December could have envisioned what happened in the Hard Rock Stadium visitors’ locker room on Saturday afternoon. The jubilant Duke Blue Devils danced a conga line after beating the Hurricanes 45-21. A Duke dance party in Miami Gardens? Really? Yes, indeed. It happened. At least one Duke player broadcast the fiesta live on social media.

--, it can take time to implement a new playing style and culture. No, all the players on this roster are not hand-picked by Cristobal. But plenty of them are, including talented transfers Colbie Young, Henry Parrish Jr., Akheem Mesidor and Darrell Jackson.

--The talent on the 2022 Hurricanes roster is ranked No. 13 in the nation if you believe 247Sports and its recruiting gurus. There are two five-star recruits on the roster and 44 four-star recruits.

--“Some areas of our team are more talented than others, some are more talent-deficient than others,” Cristobal said after the loss to Duke.

--So, if it’s not lack of talent and it’s not the fact that Cristobal is a first-year coach at Miami, then what the heck is going on? I would never claim to know more about any sport than the coaches and athletes who make a living at it. Nobody wants to win more than they do.

But as an old-time (and getting older) sportswriter and UM alum (Class of ’87) who covered the championship football teams of the 1980s and the basketball team’s Sweet 16s and run to the Elite Eight last March, there are two things that seems to be missing from Cristobal’s team: fun and flexibility.

--Last Saturday, the team disembarked from its buses on a gloriously sunny morning and began the Hurricane Walk into the stadium as the pep band played. Sebastian the Ibis waved a giant hurricane warning flag, cheerleaders waved their pompons, and fans chanted and tried to get their favorite players’ attention. The players marched along, staring forward, serious “game faces” on. Football is serious, you say. No need for smiles. Nick Saban doesn’t have fun. Bill Belichick doesn’t seem to be having fun. Both are outstanding coaches. True. But that drill-sergeant, tough-talking style doesn’t always work. No question discipline, toughness and hard work are keys to athletic success. But so is confidence, freedom, and self-expression. It was true with Jimmy Johnson’s teams. And it seems especially true with modern-day athletes, who like to share their thoughts, music and fashion on social media.

--When you see a team commit 17 penalties one week and turn the ball over eight times the next, you can’t help but wonder if these Hurricanes are feeling stifled and playing nervously.

Is it possible Cristobal, whose passion is undeniable, is instilling more fear than confidence in his players? Could it be that he so deeply believes in his system that he is unwilling to adapt to suit the players and personalities on his roster?

Only the people in that locker room know the answers. Maybe Cristobal could take a cue from UM basketball coach Jim Larranaga, who gets the most out of his players and then dances with them in the locker room. If anyone should be doing the conga at Hard Rock Stadium, it should be Cristobal and his Canes.
we have sucked the last 3 years, and we sucked this year: what's the constant the players: The coaches don't teach 17 penalties or 5 Turnovers, they don't teach players to free-lance.

I have no issue with the team coming out serious. They had 17 freaking penalties against v-tech. They shouldn't be all smiles after that.

Do I want them dancing and having fun if they're winning every game, making big plays and blowing out teams? Sure, go for it. Do I want them dancing after getting molly-whopped by Duke at home? Absolutely not. Duke earned the right to dance and have fun with how they played.

Losing games should suck and it should not be fun. Winners will not accept losing as an option, and this team needs to get there.

That woman is also an adjunct prof at Miami so she already likely has an ax to grind with Mario due to his salary.

She probably thinks they shouldnt keep score in youth sports until they are 15, WMBA players should be paid the same as NBA players, and if man feels like a woman he should be able to take a whiz in the girls bathroom even if he has a dong dangling between his legs.

Advertisement
0DD52D3A-0462-48D8-8A1F-6D2C4B437CFA.jpeg

I got negged plenty when I posted this about Mario undressing the entire defense after a penalty in a blowout win.

I understand there has to be discipline, but there’s a fine line between that and killing all the joy there’s supposed to be in the game.

To me, Mario just looks like at the moment, he is wound up a little bit too tight.

The team’s play reflects that imo.

View attachment 212416

I got negged plenty when I posted this about Mario undressing the entire defense after a penalty in a blowout win.

I understand there has to be discipline, but there’s a fine line between that and killing all the joy there’s supposed to be in the game.

To me, Mario just looks like at the moment, he is wound up a little bit too tight.

The team’s play reflects that imo.
You also defended Manny Diaz so nobody gives a **** about your opinions lmao.

You also defended Manny Diaz so nobody gives a **** about your opinions lmao.

How would you know dumbass you’ve only been here since after he was gone right?

How many times have you been banned again?

Change your name to Username 3.

Advertisement
Back