Softball?

So if I understand correctly if Miami's enrollment rate was 50/50 we would need to have the same proportion of men vs women participating in athletics.

That’s only one of three possible requirements. We don’t choose to meet that standard. We more fall in line with #2.

Advertisement
I think the absence of a men's soccer team is further complicated by Title IX considerations. Overall, Miami is missing a number of sports like lacrosse, wrestling gymnastics, etc., but I remember reading on the board that there is a club ice hockey team

Not to mention no men's golf team in SFLA....that has always been hilarious to me.

There are only a few sports that make money. Football, Men's and Women's Baskeball. That's it. So, it all comes down to how much money the school wants to put into a budget. Miami has deep pockets and can field other sports if it wants to.

Women's softball would be a "no brainer" because it's a very popular sport in the US. However, besides money, I think the biggest issue is land. Land is very precious around campus. I don't think the administration wants to give up any land to build a softball stadium.

There are no other men's sports because of Title IX which states you have to spend equal amounts of scholarship money on each gender sport. So, if Miami added another Women's sport, they could add another for the guys.
I dount Womens basketball makes money

It's my understanding that Title IX requires equal participation for men and women. Football throws that way out of whack due to the sheer number of participants.
So if we added a womens softball team we would then need to add a mens sport to keep the numbers proportional.

When you stop to think that Miami does not have men's golf or soccer in South Florida it's crazy.
Not true. It is based on student body. UM is 53% Female I believe

Advertisement
They make money on the tv deal. Money gets split evenly between all ACC schools and the ACC is a strong conference for Women's basketball.
The whole program makes money on the TV deal. There is no separate TV deal for womens basketball. The womens program is not a revenue producer.

Women's softball probably allows us to reinstate men's golf, purely from a Title IX standpoint.

Would love to see us add both men's and women's soccer too.

Leaving men's swimming as the remaining program that Maggard axed in the 1990s.

Advertisement
Women's softball probably allows us to reinstate men's golf, purely from a Title IX standpoint.

Would love to see us add both men's and women's soccer too.

Leaving men's swimming as the remaining program that Maggard axed in the 1990s.

We have a women's soccer team.

Agree on a mens team, the right coach could have a great program here

We have a women's soccer team.

Agree on a mens team, the right coach could have a great program here

Is women's soccer a full varsity sport or a club sport? If it's already varsity, we could possibly reinstate men's swimming too.

Is women's soccer a full varsity sport or a club sport? If it's already varsity, we could possibly reinstate men's swimming too.
Varsity although not a very good one. It has been a long time since the women's team has qualified for NCAAs. Mostly an ACC bottomfeeder. Yes, the ACC is an outstanding conference for women's soccer but Miami should be competitive.

Last edited:
Varsity although not a very good one. It has been a long time since the women's team has qualified for NCAAs. Mostly an ACC bottomfeeder. Yes, the ACC is an outstanding conference for women's soccer but Miami should be competitivw.

I don't really follow womens soccer, but on the mens side, most of the top programs do a lot of international recruiting. The ability for Miami to appeal to European/Latin American should be obvious, so I'd love to see us add it as a men's sport

Advertisement
I don't really follow womens soccer, but on the mens side, most of the top programs do a lot of international recruiting. The ability for Miami to appeal to European/Latin American should be obvious, so I'd love to see us add it as a men's sport
Women are capped at 14 while Men at 9.9. That's why you have to have smart kids, too for academic scholarships to make up the difference.

I'd rather see lacrosse because these kid's come almost exclusively from private, prep schools. Most lacrosse players get 25% or in rare exception 50% scholarships. They come from wealthy families mainly.

There are more women’s sports at UM than mens. When there is a sport like cross country and swimming/diving where both compete, it’s still heavily slanted towards women. Not sure what tile IX accomplished at UM. I’m still irked by the 11.7 scholarship rule for baseball and I think a mens soccer team would be great down here. (FIU has a an excellent mens program, ffs)

There are more women’s sports at UM than mens. When there is a sport like cross country and swimming/diving where both compete, it’s still heavily slanted towards women. Not sure what tile IX accomplished at UM. I’m still irked by the 11.7 scholarship rule for baseball and I think a mens soccer team would be great down here. (FIU has a an excellent mens program, ffs)

"More women's sports" is not the issue. The number of scholarships IS the issue. And there is no women's sport equivalent for football (85 scholarships).

As for the difference between "head count" scholarship sports (football, basketball) and "equivalency" scholarship sports (everything else), that is a separate issue.

We just need honest debate, and no "blaming" of Title IX based on a misleading comparison of "number of women's sports" instead of number of women's SCHOLARSHIPS.

And for the record, Dave Maggard got rid of the men's swimming team (not the diving team) in the 1990s. So, again, accuracy.

1650636205899.png

Advertisement
Women are capped at 14 while Men at 9.9. That's why you have to have smart kids, too for academic scholarships to make up the difference.

I'd rather see lacrosse because these kid's come almost exclusively from private, prep schools. Most lacrosse players get 25% or in rare exception 50% scholarships. They come from wealthy families mainly.

Yes, and I believe that women's softball has a higher "equivalency" number of scholarships than men's baseball as well, I have a friend whose daughter plays D-I softball on scholarship.

Yes, and I believe that women's softball has a higher "equivalency" number of scholarships than men's baseball as well, I have a friend whose daughter plays D-I softball on scholarship.
Div 1 is allowed 12 full ships. Most get a half ship or less. Think baseball is 12.8 ships

Last edited:
Div 1 is allowed 12 full ships. Most get a half ship or less. Think baseball is 12'8 ships

Baseball is 11.7 equivalencies. Softball is 12 equivalencies (I was told 14, but that is obviously incorrect).

The minimum award is 25% of tuition, so the practical mathematical impact is that you rarely see anyone get more than a 50% scholarship.

Advertisement
Back