Softball?

Jaromir Jagr

Senior
So if I understand correctly if Miami's enrollment rate was 50/50 we would need to have the same proportion of men vs women participating in athletics.
That’s only one of three possible requirements. We don’t choose to meet that standard. We more fall in line with #2.

Fightinibis

Junior
I think the absence of a men's soccer team is further complicated by Title IX considerations. Overall, Miami is missing a number of sports like lacrosse, wrestling gymnastics, etc., but I remember reading on the board that there is a club ice hockey team
Not to mention no men's golf team in SFLA....that has always been hilarious to me.

CTCANE

Junior
There are only a few sports that make money. Football, Men's and Women's Baskeball. That's it. So, it all comes down to how much money the school wants to put into a budget. Miami has deep pockets and can field other sports if it wants to.

Women's softball would be a "no brainer" because it's a very popular sport in the US. However, besides money, I think the biggest issue is land. Land is very precious around campus. I don't think the administration wants to give up any land to build a softball stadium.

There are no other men's sports because of Title IX which states you have to spend equal amounts of scholarship money on each gender sport. So, if Miami added another Women's sport, they could add another for the guys.
I dount Womens basketball makes money

CTCANE

Junior
It's my understanding that Title IX requires equal participation for men and women. Football throws that way out of whack due to the sheer number of participants.
So if we added a womens softball team we would then need to add a mens sport to keep the numbers proportional.

When you stop to think that Miami does not have men's golf or soccer in South Florida it's crazy.
Not true. It is based on student body. UM is 53% Female I believe

CTCANE

Junior
They make money on the tv deal. Money gets split evenly between all ACC schools and the ACC is a strong conference for Women's basketball.
The whole program makes money on the TV deal. There is no separate TV deal for womens basketball. The womens program is not a revenue producer.

Jaromir Jagr

Senior
Not true. It is based on student body. UM is 53% Female I believe
Which is irrelevant since we don’t attempt to give more female athletic scholarships than male athletic scholarships.