sofla free agency thread

Chaminade the new STA?
In a way...but sta is still sta.

Chaminade actually HAS to recruit because they dont have a base. Where the school is located there isnt any surrounding neighborhood talent...well not enough to do what they do.
STA and AH atleast are located in talent efficient neighborhoods close enough to draw from being in Plantation and Lauderdale/davie.

The thing about it its overkill....there really isnt a reason for them to have 4 - 4star level wrs right now and still actively poaching kids lol.

Advertisement
It is....

There is a facebook group with alot of local head coaches and parents you should see the gloating on there...if you want to understand the thought process of south florida its on there. its low key embarassing....

Its actually called "The portal" where every day they are speaking on kids transferring or fellatioing chaminade for getting transfers. I know some of our posters on here are in that group. They call most of the public schools ..."jucos" on there. Because they just develop kids for 2 years for the big name schools to take them easily.
I was in that group for like a week and had to get out. Disgusting.

It is....

There is a facebook group with alot of local head coaches and parents you should see the gloating on there...if you want to understand the thought process of south florida its on there. its low key embarassing....

Its actually called "The portal" where every day they are speaking on kids transferring or fellatioing chaminade for getting transfers. I know some of our posters on here are in that group. They call most of the public schools ..."jucos" on there. Because they just develop kids for 2 years for the big name schools to take them easily.
wtf lol. And people wonder why it's so hard for us to keep homegrown talent home... Look - we haven't had much to offer for a long time until recently by way of development, investment and structure so that's fair and I get it, but man idk if any other top tier programs in CFB have a home recruiting base with less loyalty than where we're at. A high school football transfer portal is crazy lmfaoo. No loyalty is taught from a young age. Mad respect to the guys from down here who want to come in, put on for the city, and bring this thing back with Mario because it seems like that's more of the outlier these days than the norm. Wild times.

wtf lol. And people wonder why it's so hard for us to keep homegrown talent home... Look - we haven't had much to offer for a long time until recently by way of development, investment and structure so that's fair and I get it, but man idk if any other top tier programs in CFB have a home recruiting base with less loyalty than where we're at. A high school football transfer portal is crazy lmfaoo. No loyalty is taught from a young age. Mad respect to the guys from down here who want to come in, put on for the city, and bring this thing back with Mario because it seems like that's more of the outlier these days than the norm. Wild times.
its the actual the parents of the kids in the group and who created the group.

legitimately gloating on who are the best "recruiters' locally. **** they have ppl or coaches calling themselves "recruiting coordinators" and dming the parents in the groups about the kids that get exposed weekly, depending on the "pitch" to the parent.
These are the same parents/ coaches from the youth parks and the reason alot of these kids are the way they are.
xs and os are seldom if at all talked about in there. @Coach Macho just who can poact the most talent.....THE PORTAL.

There are a few reasons why I wouldn't want to come back to coach in South FL anytime soon (I'm in Houston right now fwiw). One is the pay is way better here lol. But the other one is that the transfer "portal" in South FL high school ball is too much. I wouldn't even consider myself an old school "you have to stay where you are for all 4 years and go to where you are zoned" guy. I wanted to transfer from Western to Everglades my senior year, but I didn't have a car to get there from Davie. But it seems like the parents (and the kids by extension) are mercenaries. You don't have to just have pride to play ball at Central/AH/STA/Chaminade. And then even if you are at a lesser known school and build it up, then you have to worry about getting raided and poached by all the schools near you.

I'm not gonna act like transfers don't happen in TX. To be honest, I hate that the ppl here act like it doesn't happen and that it's so sacred here. If you know how good Duncanville/DeSoto/North Shore are, you know it's not just the kids zoned to them. But it definitely isn't nearly as prevalent as it is in South FL. I don't know if anything can or will be done about it. But it feels like the toothpaste is out of the tube now.

Advertisement
There are a few reasons why I wouldn't want to come back to coach in South FL anytime soon (I'm in Houston right now fwiw). One is the pay is way better here lol. But the other one is that the transfer "portal" in South FL high school ball is too much. I wouldn't even consider myself an old school "you have to stay where you are for all 4 years and go to where you are zoned" guy. I wanted to transfer from Western to Everglades my senior year, but I didn't have a car to get there from Davie. But it seems like the parents (and the kids by extension) are mercenaries. You don't have to just have pride to play ball at Central/AH/STA/Chaminade. And then even if you are at a lesser known school and build it up, then you have to worry about getting raided and poached by all the schools near you.

I'm not gonna act like transfers don't happen in TX. To be honest, I hate that the ppl here act like it doesn't happen and that it's so sacred here. If you know how good Duncanville/DeSoto/North Shore are, you know it's not just the kids zoned to them. But it definitely isn't nearly as prevalent as it is in South FL. I don't know if anything can or will be done about it. But it feels like the toothpaste is out of the tube now.
Bro, I honestly wouldn't mind the poaching as much if they simply changed the classifications and put the private schools in their own ****. (that's generally the only schools that we lose kids to)

I've been around Western a long time, this is my 3rd stint. We've lost more kids to Heritage and STA than I can count.

We offer the best combination of facilities, coaching, resources and competition than anywhere else you can find in Broward County. We're as close to a private school as a public school can get, yet we still can't even scratch the surface of what the privates have to offer. So what do you think the parents are gonna do as soon as Heritage or STA come calling? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cool. No problem. I get it.
But then we turn around and have to play said private schools during our season. (well, we choose to regardless)
Then have to get through another elite private school in order to have a chance at the state title.

Make that make sense. 🤔
Not just for us, but any public school that's stuck in a classification with the likes of STA, Chaminade and Heritage.

I'm watching private schools benefit off of kids that were developed elsewhere.
And most of the coaches at these schools put more emphasis on recruiting than they actually do on development.

Just to put into perspective how much these schools hoard talent...

All 3 of my starting Linebackers made All County this season. All 3 were at private schools before Western. One of them sat the bench at Chaminade for THREE SEASONS! The first time he ever started was this year at Western, and he made 1st team All County, yet he wasn't "good enough" to crack the rotation at Chaminade. Instead of developing him they would just bring in new kids at LB.
And this is EXACTLY what all of the private schools do.
They flat-out lie to these kids, don't give EVERY ONE OF THEM the attention, the chance and the development they deserve, and they hoard kids that could be having All County seasons elsewhere.

Yet the parents and kids fall for this BS every off season.

Last edited:
So besides Jabari, Koby, and who is already on the roster. Chaminade is actively recruiting more receivers. I've seen the messages.
Rumor is that they're going for Ffrench from Mandarin as well.

Any truth to the possibility of Florida have a top 8 team playoff separate from the other classifications? Talking to a friend who coaches in North Florida area he was saying that it had been brought up due to the south Florida free agency building these super teams. I live overseas so no clue how legit this is

Tootpaste is wayyyyyyy out the tube.

Before you would have kids who were kind of looking for exposure that would transfer to the bigger schools....now its kids from the smaller schools, with exposure, and production that are literally transferring for "clout" and for their parents to say their son plays at ____ school.

Before it kind of was looked down on.....now it is "championed" and coaches at the big schools are being deemed "best recruiters" and praised for stealing the kids lol.

My sr year i had a chance to transfer to CHAMINADE or Miami Pace...both schools wanted me really bad and it was easy for me to attend both as im catholic and had a ride to BOTH schools if needed. But i thugged it out at the high school i started at didnt go to the play offs sr year but got schollies.
I do always think how it woulda been as would have played with a few of my cane alumni friends at chaminade or maybe beat them with WW at Pace. lol

Advertisement
So besides Jabari, Koby, and who is already on the roster. Chaminade is actively recruiting more receivers. I've seen the messages.
Rumor is that they're going for Ffrench from Mandarin as well.
They probably tried to get Reed from Monarch as well but i think his mom shut that down.

Apparently also the wr from True North who the qb they got through to alot was another wr they were after.

Me personally i dont see the point, but like stated its hoarding of talent.
The crazy part is kids still there who were rotation or bench riders that "really" think they have a shot of starting. Im looking at em like you dont see whats going on?. The "com[petiton" you think is about to happen...really aint. Like Machos tated these kids coming in are coming to start. lol

We got 2 from Chaminade last szn...1 was an edge at chaminade that was a rotational guy who we played at ....WR/DB. (Crazy i think had he played it there he may have been a solid recruit) and another db that was younger that wanted reps.

In s.fla ..."recruiting" by the hs coaches is much more propped than actual development like @Coach Macho stated. Alot of these dudes cant even break down film or tell you anything other than " buss em in the mouth" to the players.

Bro, I honestly wouldn't mind the poaching as much if they simply changed the classifications and put the private schools in their own ****. (that's generally the only schools that we lose kids to)

I've been around Western a long time, this is my 3rd stint. We've lost more kids to Heritage and STA than I can count.

We offer the best combination of facilities, coaching, resources and competition than anywhere else you can find in Broward County. We're as close to a private school as a public school can get, yet we still can't even scratch the surface of what the privates have to offer. So what do you think the parents are gonna do as soon as Heritage or STA come calling? 🤷🏻‍♂️

But then we turn around and have to play said private schools during our season. (well, we choose to regardless)
Then have to get through another elite private school in order to have a chance at the state title.

Make that make sense. 🤔
Not just for us, but any public school that's stuck in a classification with the likes of STA, Chaminade and Heritage.

And most of the coaches at these schools put more emphasis on recruiting than they actually do on development.

All 3 of my starting Linebackers made All County this season. All 3 were at private schools before Western. One of them sat the bench at Chaminade for THREE SEASONS! The first time he ever started was this year at Western, and he made 1st team All County, yet he wasn't "good enough" to crack the rotation at Chaminade. Instead of developing him they would just bring in new kids at LB.
They flat-out lie to these kids, don't give EVERY ONE OF THEM the attention, the chance and the development they deserve, and they hoard kids that could be having All County seasons elsewhere.

I graduated from Western (C/o 2006). I am impressed and proud at how much the program has gone from relatively average when I was there, to being decent, to now expected to go 3-4 rounds deep annually.

My thing with Chaminade/STA is, what do you gain from hoarding? It's overkill especially for Chaminade, when you're winning a state championship game 56-0.

And @gogeta4 is spot on about the coaching. A lot of these South FL coaches that just hoard talent would be in a world of trouble coming to TX because they really coach out here. And I'm not saying that to brag on how great TXHSFB is, because I'm a Florida native and wish we were on that level. But seeing it up close and personal, a lot of coaches here put the work in to be good, even if the results don't always show.

Make that make sense. 🤔

That’s sad. Keep coaching those young men up. I wish parents would see through all of this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back