sofla free agency thread

It’s a different beast now. That being said, STA just had a dominant title run but it seems like this was the quietest I ever heard from STA. There wasn’t much hype this year and they dominated.
This year was quiet for real...and the other schools who won states down here been calling them out....chaminade, Miami central feel they ducked the smoke.

Advertisement
The Harriott part of it is taking senior transfers. Coach Smith and Casullo didn’t do that. In addition to that, Harriott is out there stacking talent 4 deep and he doesn’t care if he has good players sitting on the bench.

Smith definitely took SR transfers, just not as frequent

Yea but it’s a different beast now. They always had top talent but kids are transferring with fbs p5 offers their senior year. Kids ball out at one school for 3 years then transfer in. I don’t know how true it is but I heard parents are taking out loans just so their kids can transfer in

The game in general has changed. Gone are the days of Smith keeping all his top kids offers in a shoe box, not allowing them to take OV’s until after their season, no decommits etc.

Tbh with social media etc the kids are much different now

The game in general has changed. Gone are the days of Smith keeping all his top kids offers in a shoe box, not allowing them to take OV’s until after their season, no decommits etc.

Tbh with social media etc the kids are much different now
Smith told players not to commit until they were ready to commit and you never saw a player decommit or flip on his watch. That is part of the reason schools recruited STA so hard. You knew the kids were talented, would stay eligible academically, generally stayed out of trouble and were committed when they committed. Harriott has good kids in the program who tend to be able to compete academically, but they no longer place a premium on commitments there. Part of that might be the nature of recruiting because schools drop players too, but most of the STA kids who flip didn't get dropped.

Advertisement
Yea but it’s a different beast now. They always had top talent but kids are transferring with fbs p5 offers their senior year. Kids ball out at one school for 3 years then transfer in. I don’t know how true it is but I heard parents are taking out loans just so their kids can transfer in
I know kids whose parents took out loans for them to go to Gulliver & Columbus, they definitely gotta pay at STA too lmao. A kid can get offers at South Plantation but clout is worse than cocaine

I know kids whose parents took out loans for them to go to Gulliver & Columbus, they definitely gotta pay at STA too lmao. A kid can get offers at South Plantation but clout is worse than cocaine

Exactly! I went to South in 06. Even that team had like 5 players sign with fbs schools and another player signed with an fcs program. South Florida is a football haven. These kids don’t have to go to the same handful of of programs. Just go to a good program with good coaches.

Smith told players not to commit until they were ready to commit and you never saw a player decommit or flip on his watch. That is part of the reason schools recruited STA so hard. You knew the kids were talented, would stay eligible academically, generally stayed out of trouble and were committed when they committed. Harriott has good kids in the program who tend to be able to compete academically, but they no longer place a premium on commitments there. Part of that might be the nature of recruiting because schools drop players too, but most of the STA kids who flip didn't get dropped.

Game has changed, especially with the emergence of social media. Look at how many decommitments there were back then compared to now. Back then a flip wasnt very common, but now we’ve got kids flipping 4-5 times

Advertisement
taking out a loan to play at columbus aint that....Columbus aint sending kids power 5 like that imo.

STA is cutting it close for taking a loan because its a high probability if your in the rotation at worst your going IVY league or fbs somewhere.

At Heritage they make you work weekends or odd jobs typically to negate the cost..been doing that for years.

Game is too crazy in South FL. Coaches absolutely don't get paid enough there to have to deal with the regular stresses of coaching on top of worrying about the high school transfer portal. I coach in Houston and, while there definitely is recruiting here, it's much tougher to do. The coach at the old school has to sign off on the player transferring to the new school, otherwise he can't play varsity ball that season. Some players will try waivers to get around it, but even so it's still tough.

Transfers will happen, but you shouldn't have to worry about your program being poached from the entire offseason. It just aint right.

Game is too crazy in South FL. Coaches absolutely don't get paid enough there to have to deal with the regular stresses of coaching on top of worrying about the high school transfer portal. I coach in Houston and, while there definitely is recruiting here, it's much tougher to do. The coach at the old school has to sign off on the player transferring to the new school, otherwise he can't play varsity ball that season. Some players will try waivers to get around it, but even so it's still tough.

Transfers will happen, but you shouldn't have to worry about your program being poached from the entire offseason. It just aint right.
i watched **** near a whole team get poached...sh*t is sad.

Dudes are getting HS coaching jobs now simply due to their recruiting ability and not their coaching acumen. **** is crazy. It's just like college. 😂

Advertisement
Dudes are getting HS coaching jobs now simply due to their recruiting ability and not their coaching acumen. **** is crazy.
No disrespect to you because you’ve proven your coaching ability, but the coaching at most South Florida schools is terrible. Some of these guys don’t appear to know anything.

No disrespect to you because you’ve proven your coaching ability, but the coaching at most South Florida schools is terrible. Some of these guys don’t appear to know anything.
No offense taken, I know it's bad. 😂

I watched almost every title game live @ DrvPnk stadium. While the coaching wasn't bad at necessarily every level, the next-level concepts of football (offense & defense) just aren't there. It's very vanilla football in some cases, almost little-league level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back