So You Want a Savage DC? Part III: Tubby's Descendants

Except that's not actually true at all. Squat Halves and Tampa 2 are different coverages.

Squat 2, aka old school cover2, has 5 underneath zone players and 2 deep zone players. Tampa 2 has 4 underneath zone players and three deep zone players.

Stop digging the hole deeper. You're wrong. The [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] dropper is the only difference, if any. He's not a true deep 1/3. He runs with a vertical by 3 or takes a deeper than normal drop if no vertical.

LOL completely wrong. The safety play, the play of the OLBs, are different as well as the Middle dropper.

Tampa 2:

Safeties drop further outside the hash. OLBs melt with the QB. Corners as a result are better protected in the dead area and can ride slants. MLB stays on top of the inside seam routes, and is a pass first player shuffling at the snap.

Squat 2:

Safeties stay on the hash (college). Corner jams/funnels and then drops under the corner route. OLBs don't melt with the QB. The middle hook player plays the run first and then can either spot drop in his hook zone, or carry #3 to the safety.

Miami never played Tampa 2, and it is extremely naive to think they are the same thing. To the uninitiated it may not seem much different, but in many small ways it adds up to be quite different.

Looks **** similar to me. You're talking about a variation of the same coverage. I used that term because people are familiar with it. Concepts get recycled. It's the same ****.

Also. Stick with your argument. Tell me how it's a three deep/four underneath coverage.

The Mike is not responsible for the underneath hook zone. His responsibility is the middle hole between the two Safeties, who are responsible for their side of the field. Three deep. That leaves you with two flat players, and two hook/curl players. 4 underneath.

See the math??

So he's covering grass if no one comes into his zone? Why not line him up at 15 yards?

Advertisement
Stop digging the hole deeper. You're wrong. The [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] dropper is the only difference, if any. He's not a true deep 1/3. He runs with a vertical by 3 or takes a deeper than normal drop if no vertical.

LOL completely wrong. The safety play, the play of the OLBs, are different as well as the Middle dropper.

Tampa 2:

Safeties drop further outside the hash. OLBs melt with the QB. Corners as a result are better protected in the dead area and can ride slants. MLB stays on top of the inside seam routes, and is a pass first player shuffling at the snap.

Squat 2:

Safeties stay on the hash (college). Corner jams/funnels and then drops under the corner route. OLBs don't melt with the QB. The middle hook player plays the run first and then can either spot drop in his hook zone, or carry #3 to the safety.

Miami never played Tampa 2, and it is extremely naive to think they are the same thing. To the uninitiated it may not seem much different, but in many small ways it adds up to be quite different.

Looks **** similar to me. You're talking about a variation of the same coverage. I used that term because people are familiar with it. Concepts get recycled. It's the same ****.

Also. Stick with your argument. Tell me how it's a three deep/four underneath coverage.

The Mike is not responsible for the underneath hook zone. His responsibility is the middle hole between the two Safeties, who are responsible for their side of the field. Three deep. That leaves you with two flat players, and two hook/curl players. 4 underneath.

See the math??

So he's covering grass if no one comes into his zone? Why not line him up at 15 yards?

screen-shot-2015-06-15-at-2-53-20-pm.png

It's a true zone coverage.

Tampa 2:

Squat 2:

Safeties stay on the hash (college). Corner jams/funnels and then drops under the corner route. OLBs don't melt with the QB. The middle hook player plays the run first and then can either spot drop in his hook zone, or carry [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] to the safety.

See the math??

Ok so back to my point. The only glaring variation is that the #3 immediately plays the hole. It's the same ****. I don't believe that any college or NFL team plays a spot drop 7 man coverage. It's a variation of the same coverage. That's like someone arguing over the term man free or cover 1 (when not sending 5). Or someone arguing over the term match or cover 3. The Seahawks play cover 3, but some sort of variation of it.

See the math??

Ok so back to my point. The only glaring variation is that the #3 immediately plays the hole. It's the same ****. I don't believe that any college or NFL team plays a spot drop 7 man coverage. It's a variation of the same coverage. That's like someone arguing over the term man free or cover 1 (when not sending 5). Or someone arguing over the term match or cover 3. The Seahawks play cover 3, but some sort of variation of it.

Fair enough.

Either way, a savage must be acquired to run this Defense. That's all I care.

I have season tickets to MSU games and this team has had a ton of injuiries. Theyve come a long way but had they not lost key starters, they would definitely be top-5. Its aggressive, the corners play on islands and make tackles. Its risky and rewarding.

Advertisement

See the math??

Fair enough.

Either way, a savage must be acquired to run this Defense. That's all I care.

YAS! Give me a savage on defense. The simple things like intensity, pursuit, and tackling are what form the foundation of a successful defense.

I researched him. He wasn't a part of that MSU staff. He's extremely green, and unlike the current MSU guys hasn't been around elite defenses his whole career. Pitt is a great place for him to cut his teeth. He presents no greater upside than Barnett/Tressel, with much much more risk.

Now this is my language.... Its some good **** in here....

I dont think we have the personnel right now to run a cov 2, but I can see us killing it in 43 cov 4.

Advertisement
Barnett and Tressell both make $378,230/yr.

Miami could certainly afford to give one of them a substantial pay raise to move to Coral Gables.

I love the MSU defense. Barnett is the play caller and is an amazing DB coach. He's developed so many great players and they are not 4&5* athletes.

If we can get him I would be all for it.

Advertisement
Not sure how much money Richt has to play with and I'm not sure about his relationship with Chizik, but if those two things aren't issues,I would absolutely love to see chizik as DC. He's reportedly making about 750k at UNC.

I love the MSU defense. Barnett is the play caller and is an amazing DB coach. He's developed so many great players and they are not 4&5* athletes.

If we can get him I would be all for it.

Barnett would be my choice.

Those MSU defenses are nasty year in and year out. They're tough to run on and also great against the pass. What's not to like.

Any DC that can push Taint's **** in is the guy I want running our D. Imagine him running that D with our South Florida athletes and some savage DT's. It would be a wrap.

Advertisement
Back