So You Want a Savage DC? Part 4: Give Me This Goon!!

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
After covering 5 great choices for DC, I would feel comfortable with any of Aranda, Barnett, Chizik, or Tressel. But if I'm picking, I'm taking Don Brown hands down. You can check out my writeup of him in here https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/wanna-savage-dc-don-brown/95022.

Miami hasn't had a DC that aggressive in over 20 years. His BC defense is undersized and speed based, but doesn't just rely on playing coverage with a 4 man rush, hoping pro bowlers make plays for him. Brown is a grizzled vet of coaching, which means Richt can be more free to do what he wants and coach QBs and call plays, knowing that the defense is in the hands of a man with decades of experience.

If I couldn't have Brown, I'd go for Harlan Barnett. He's coached under two of the best in the biz in Dantonio and Saban, runs a defense that we are all familiar with, and prior to being named DC was the DBs coach for a scheme that is massively reliant on DB play to make it all work. He would be at Miami for a while, like Narduzzi was at MSU, before stepping into HC ranks.

I love what Aranda has done, but there are two things that concern me, neither having to do with scheme. One, the guy is going to be a HC very very soon. It would be a major setback for Miami to hire him, only to have him split after a year. And two, his defense is very unique to him. The defense is reliant on him and his game calling to work right. Bc there are so many moving parts, it's not as simple as setting it up and being able to pass it to the underlings if he left. What that means is that you will be starting over if he leaves.

Chizik, while also a very solid choice, really only had one impressive defensive season when all is said and done, and it was under the man who knows that defense better than anyone, Tommy T. I also wouldn't doubt he will be looking at a HC sooner than later.

Last edited:
Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;MrGx4s3xStE]https://youtu.be/MrGx4s3xStE[/video]

BCs offense is so horrendous, ND average starting field position was like the BC 45. BC held them to 19 points. ND averages like 35 per game. It's like one giant "fvck you" style defense. Favorite part is how they are savages about stripping the ball. The aggressive mentality is something I would kill for back at UM.

I agree but. Only problem is that his season has been over for weeks, prob would have happened by now. IMO it will either be an NFL guy or someone on a playoff team. All others are already seemingly available.

And ND was handed some of the most absurd roughing the kicker penalties to keep drives alive I've ever seen. ******* loser Irish.

Advertisement
I agree but. Only problem is that his season has been over for weeks, prob would have happened by now. IMO it will either be an NFL guy or someone on a playoff team. All others are already seemingly available.

ummm Richt just got hired a week ago......

You understand that Richt has been on the road recruiting since taking the job... The man hasn't even hasn't even changed his drawls in week

My concern is that he had mediocre results in his prior two stints as DC.

I also am weary of the Umass connection. Last Umass coordinator we picked up was supposed to be an offensive genius with the "whiplash" offense.

Brown has been my clear number 1 for a long time. The dude is exactly what Richt and UM needs--a teacher who can take total control of the defense while Richt focuses on the offense.

UM hasn't had a schematic advantage in many many years. It would really be great to have a proven DC who has done incredible things with less talent. His defenses are mean and nasty and play downhill. He's a NE guy, but his philosophy is tailor made for UM.

Advertisement
Brown has been my clear number 1 for a long time. The dude is exactly what Richt and UM needs--a teacher who can take total control of the defense while Richt focuses on the offense.

UM hasn't had a schematic advantage in many many years. It would really be great to have a proven DC who has done incredible things with less talent. His defenses are mean and nasty and play downhill. He's a NE guy, but his philosophy is tailor made for UM.

I've come around Brown. The fact that he's spent his entire career in the Northeast still concerns me, but Richt is fresh out of the SEC and knows what it looks like. It could be a nice meld of scheme and personnel.

BC has legit defenses. Brown has earned his love.

But "South Florida ain't for everybody".

I'd see how committed Todd Orlando is to Herman and Houston.

I've come around Brown. The fact that he's spent his entire career in the Northeast still concerns me, but Richt is fresh out of the SEC and knows what it looks like. It could be a nice meld of scheme and personnel.
I don't buy into that region stuff when a guy shows his mettle like Brown has. Look at a guy like Dantonio. He's been in the Midwest his whole life, but I'd take him here in a second.

Advertisement
This guy seems good but is there any indication/chance that he's actually on our radar?

There's no insight on anyone being on our radar. It'd be nice if someone could put a bug in Richt's ear about Brown. We need a guy like this.

BCs offense is so horrendous, ND average starting field position was like the BC 45. BC held them to 19 points. ND averages like 35 per game. It's like one giant "fvck you" style defense. Favorite part is how they are savages about stripping the ball. The aggressive mentality is something I would kill for back at UM.

LOL at Brown's "are you shting me?" tirade at 15:02.

"are you ****ting me? You gonna call a hold tonight???"

Advertisement
BC has legit defenses. Brown has earned his love.

But "South Florida ain't for everybody".

I'd see how committed Todd Orlando is to Herman and Houston.

This is the line of thinking that gets you Randy Shannon over Gary Patterson. It might be the stupidest thing I've ever read on a message board. Congrats!

"are you ****ting me? You gonna call a hold tonight???"

"Are you ****ting me? Are we gonna get hosed all night?"

Advertisement
Back