So who is playing QB in the bowl game?

Advertisement
Garcia transferring. Machoda leaving. Rashada getting $14M from Florida not to sign with Miami, and then not getting it.

Bad things can happen quickly with a roster. We went from four scholarship quarterbacks in Dec 2008 - none with more than two years of experience - to just one scholarship QB in Aug 2009.
“Bad things happen quickly with a roster”…come on, man. It is incomprehensible roster mismanagement/negligence to be in a situation with possibly no scholarship qb to start a bowl game. And this isn’t a situation where circumstances out of Mario’s control created this situation….Mario screwed up big time by only having 3 scholarship QBs to start the season and then completely f*%$ed up the TVD injury/benching situation to put us in this position.

“Bad things happen quickly with a roster”…come on, man. It is incomprehensible roster mismanagement/negligence to be in a situation with possibly no scholarship qb to start a bowl game. And this isn’t a situation where circumstances out of Mario’s control created this situation….Mario screwed up big time by only having 3 scholarship QBs to start the season and then completely f*%$ed up the TVD injury/benching situation to put us in this position.
2009-2011 was worse. One scholarship QB in 2009, only two in 2010-2011.

And I’ll throw in 2004-2006 as well. One quarterback signing in three years.

Or 2002-2006. Two quarterback signings in five classes, plus a transfer.

Mario had two quarterbacks committed for 2023, one backed out late.

Advertisement
Can our punter play QB….we know they can play WR so maybe…we know he can roll to the right at least..

He 100% should have brought in a portal qb to serve as a functional backup.
I agree. The question was, who was available and what NIL resources were dedicated to a transfer backup. Riding into the season Jacurri (who wanted his redshirt) and Emory (3 star true freshman) was less than desirable.

Greatest CFB team of all-time had WR Ethnic Sands as backup QB. 3rd string was walk-on.
Butch Davis only signed 3 QBs his entire time here.

Advertisement
We can always threaten to withhold TVD NIL check unless he plays in the bowl game 🤣
You say that as a joke but I think that is where we are headed.

I realize it is not allowed to connect playing to NIL now but the rules are getting so abused, I doubt the restriction will stay.

Besides I could make the argument that being seen on national TV is an NIL issue if I am legitimately paying for your name recognition.

Advertisement
Is this like a moral victory?
No, I just think it was hard to then flip another 2023 quarterback that late in the game. Presumably, there is only so much NIL money to go around for the team and for the position. For example, spend too much to get a Dante Moore to flip late and then you have to up TVD's money as well. And if you don't, Van Dyke walks. Which then leads you have to overspend to bring in two transfer portal quarterbacks. Which in turn means you have less money to spend on other portal necessities, like Cohen and Lee.

I just think that there are a lot of considerations behind the scenes in 2023 football beyond just hey, we lost Rashada...no big deal, we will roll into 2023 with just three QBs.

Advertisement
1j1.gif

Jeff George son Jayden George, bowling green transfer who walked on. Freshman Ripley Luna is a possibility as well who had 2700 passing yards 37TDs as a senior in highschool

wowwowwow a talented mr. ripley. be careful on a boat with him tho

Advertisement
Back