So UGA

Advertisement
of the $30.2 million for UGA's IPF, 15.1 million came from UGA's cash reserves and 15.1 million came from private funding.

Also, UGA named UVA reject Greyson Lambert their started QB today, so not everything is rosy in Athens.

If you look at the latest fundraising efforts for UM, the Momentum 2 campaign brought in more than 1.6 billion in donations; only 100 mil of that was earmarked for athletics. The vast majority of it was earmarked by the donors for other purposes--eg, endowed chairships for departments, new endowed professorships, new buildings, new research efforts, new scholarships, new technology, dorm upgrades, etc.

Same with the university endowment. It might be close to a billion, but the football program can't touch the vast majority of those funds; they're earmarked by donors for other purposes, and are invested for those purposes.

The net assets of the University are roughly 50% unrestricted. Within the unrestricted net assets $187 million is invested (endowment) and $108.5 million is designated for operations. Before an accounting change in 2013, the unrestricted funds in the endowment were almost double that amount (moved to temporarily restricted). In terms of revenue, of the $129 million in gifts received, $67.5 million was unrestricted. All numbers are from the 2014 audited financial statements. The school could do more to support football. We can have a conversation about whether it would be prudent to spend $15 million on an IPF, but the school could do something on a smaller scale if it really wanted to support football.

99% of funds UM has does not go toward Athletics. The heavy hitters give towards Healthcare, Healthcare, and more Heatlhcare. Then comes Law, Arts and sciences, Bio, Engineering, Business, and somewhere around 25th on the list of to do's comes football...

bingo

Advertisement
If you look at the latest fundraising efforts for UM, the Momentum 2 campaign brought in more than 1.6 billion in donations; only 100 mil of that was earmarked for athletics. The vast majority of it was earmarked by the donors for other purposes--eg, endowed chairships for departments, new endowed professorships, new buildings, new research efforts, new scholarships, new technology, dorm upgrades, etc.

Same with the university endowment. It might be close to a billion, but the football program can't touch the vast majority of those funds; they're earmarked by donors for other purposes, and are invested for those purposes.

The net assets of the University are roughly 50% unrestricted. Within the unrestricted net assets $187 million is invested (endowment) and $108.5 million is designated for operations. Before an accounting change in 2013, the unrestricted funds in the endowment were almost double that amount (moved to temporarily restricted). In terms of revenue, of the $129 million in gifts received, $67.5 million was unrestricted. All numbers are from the 2014 audited financial statements. The school could do more to support football. We can have a conversation about whether it would be prudent to spend $15 million on an IPF, but the school could do something on a smaller scale if it really wanted to support football.

We can certainly have that discussion, and I'll freely admit that UM might be able to afford to give more; do we know what they're taking from the unrestricted funds now, if any? Of course, how much "more" they should give will always be a point of contention.1 mil? 10 mil? 20? 50? 100? Whatever it takes to build our own stadium and have an IPF and pay 5-6 mil/yr for a top-notch coach and another 5-6 mil for top-notch assistants?

The point remains that other programs, like UGA in the comparison in the OP, do not take from their unrestricted endowment to fund football. What should be obvious, without discussion, is that UM lacks big-money donor support for football that many (I'd say most) other big-time programs have, including emerging programs like TCU, Baylor, Louisville, et al. Fans expect UM to use endowment funds to support the football program in the absence of such donor support, and that simply doesn't happen at most schools who actually have their priorities in order.

Last edited:
of the $30.2 million for UGA's IPF, 15.1 million came from UGA's cash reserves and 15.1 million came from private funding.

Also, UGA named UVA reject Greyson Lambert their started QB today, so not everything is rosy in Athens.

FWIW, this news article specifies that the "reserve funds" were specifically from the athletic dept, not from the general university endowment. In other words, their huge athletic dept. endowment helped cover it.

UGA unveils new state-of-the-art practice facility | www.wsbtv.com

3x times more than the amount of alumni Miami has. However Miami does have the funds to do it they are just being cheap af

I think your estimate of UGA only having 3x the amount of alumni we have is incredibly low.

I find the IPF and stadium argument hilarious. It highlights two things:

1. The influence Golden's marketing has made on the community
2. Hypocrisy among the community

The "need" for an indoor practice facility was gained steam in recent years, because Golden cites it as a need and recruiting tool against other programs. Miami isn't spending in football where other schools are blah, blah, blah. Miami never had and never will have top flight facilities and I think investing in an IPF is a waste of resources. If a recruit asked about an indoor IPF, I'd tell them the average temp in February for Miami is 72 degrees and then cite the one for Columbus, South Bend and Tallahasse. The climate is a much more powerful recruiting tool than an indoor practice facility.

The community agrees the university doesn't invest enough in the facilities, which is never has, yet criticizes Golden for not winning with the talent on hand. Our facilities are not the problem. Winning solves everything.

Advertisement
99% of funds UM has does not go toward Athletics. The heavy hitters give towards Healthcare, Healthcare, and more Heatlhcare. Then comes Law, Arts and sciences, Bio, Engineering, Business, and somewhere around 25th on the list of to do's comes football...

bingo

Well, why does the administration and the university even have a football team. Why not shut the athletics department, at least football, down since it does not seem like a priority?

The Hurricane Club is the only source of revenue that goes directly towards athletics.
In June the donations were close to 10 mil amongst the 8,000 members. I don't know for sure but I would think 25% of that, or 3 mil., goes toward football.

I find it surprising that there are only 8,000 members. For those who feel money is an issue, and you can afford to give, there's an opportunity to make a dent. Before I get slammed here for finacially supporting an inferior product, I can say that i've contributed to the HC for the last 25 years.

If you introduced me to a person named Greyson Lambert and asked to me to guess where he went to school, I'd say UVa or UGA. This dude said **** it and went to both.

Advertisement

Didn't you see all that money UM put into the program.

B4wQUyoIUAEWYmI.jpg

The school could do more to support football. We can have a conversation about whether it would be prudent to spend $15 million on an IPF, but the school could do something on a smaller scale if it really wanted to support football.

It would be nice to see the school do something instead of employ potatoes in the athletic department.

Advertisement

The "need" for an indoor practice facility was gained steam in recent years, because Golden cites it as a need and recruiting tool against other programs. Miami isn't spending in football where other schools are blah, blah, blah. Miami never had and never will have top flight facilities and I think investing in an IPF is a waste of resources. If a recruit asked about an indoor IPF, I'd tell them the average temp in February for Miami is 72 degrees and then cite the one for Columbus, South Bend and Tallahasse. The climate is a much more powerful recruiting tool than an indoor practice facility.

The community agrees the university doesn't invest enough in the facilities, which is never has, yet criticizes Golden for not winning with the talent on hand. Our facilities are not the problem. Winning solves everything.

The need for an IPF has nothing to do with Golden. Take Golden out of the equation. Everyone has an IPF. UCF has one or is building one. UF and FSU. We need one for those reasons alone. It has nothing to do with the actual weather, it has to do with keeping up with who we are recruiting against. It's not 1987 anymore, kids these days want the flashy new things. If we were winning every year like we were in the 80s, I'd say, no big deal, but we're not. College football has also changed so much since then. We need to do everything in our power to keep up with everyone else. Again, this has nothing to do with that fat piece of &()# in charge.

The need for an IPF has nothing to do with Golden. Take Golden out of the equation. Everyone has an IPF. UCF has one or is building one. UF and FSU. We need one for those reasons alone. It has nothing to do with the actual weather, it has to do with keeping up with who we are recruiting against. It's not 1987 anymore, kids these days want the flashy new things. If we were winning every year like we were in the 80s, I'd say, no big deal, but we're not. College football has also changed so much since then. We need to do everything in our power to keep up with everyone else. Again, this has nothing to do with that fat piece of &()# in charge.

If the sole purpose of an IPF is to "keep up with the Jones's," then can we cut back on the rhetoric about it being such a big benefit in terms of its ability to keep us from losing practice time due to lightening/t-storms? Can we just admit that CFB is out of control with its spending and its catering to the whims of spoiled 18-year-olds, and that an IPF in South Florida, in particular, is another 20-30 million dollar example of just how decadent and silly a lot of this crap is?

If the sole purpose of an IPF is to "keep up with the Jones's," then can we cut back on the rhetoric about it being such a big benefit in terms of its ability to keep us from losing practice time due to lightening/t-storms? Can we just admit that CFB is out of control with its spending and its catering to the whims of spoiled 18-year-olds, and that an IPF in South Florida, in particular, is another 20-30 million dollar example of just how decadent and silly a lot of this crap is?

Oh, it'll help with some missed practice time, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think all of this stuff is just part of the "arms race" that is college football today.

Oh, it'll help with some missed practice time, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think all of this stuff is just part of the "arms race" that is college football today.

I agree with you; I just think it's kinda silly and more than a little sad, this whole "arms race" thing. When you get down to it, it's kinda perverting what made CFB great, IMO. That is, the ethos of CFB (and the ethos of UM) used to be that any team could win, that you didn't need to be a Bama or ND or UF or Texas, you didn't need the best trophy display case, the most luxurious state-of-the-art big-screen LCD TVs in the locker room. And you certainly didn't need an IPF...You could work out with a friggin tractor tire in the south florida muck or beach sand year 'round, and you'd still beat the crap out of the teams who had all that shiny new equipment.

Advertisement
Back