So UGA

I find the IPF and stadium argument hilarious. It highlights two things:

1. The influence Golden's marketing has made on the community
2. Hypocrisy among the community

The "need" for an indoor practice facility was gained steam in recent years, because Golden cites it as a need and recruiting tool against other programs. Miami isn't spending in football where other schools are blah, blah, blah. Miami never had and never will have top flight facilities and I think investing in an IPF is a waste of resources. If a recruit asked about an indoor IPF, I'd tell them the average temp in February for Miami is 72 degrees and then cite the one for Columbus, South Bend and Tallahasse. The climate is a much more powerful recruiting tool than an indoor practice facility.

The community agrees the university doesn't invest enough in the facilities, which is never has, yet criticizes Golden for not winning with the talent on hand. Our facilities are not the problem. Winning solves everything.

The need for an IPF has nothing to do with Golden. Take Golden out of the equation. Everyone has an IPF. UCF has one or is building one. UF and FSU. We need one for those reasons alone. It has nothing to do with the actual weather, it has to do with keeping up with who we are recruiting against. It's not 1987 anymore, kids these days want the flashy new things. If we were winning every year like we were in the 80s, I'd say, no big deal, but we're not. College football has also changed so much since then. We need to do everything in our power to keep up with everyone else. Again, this has nothing to do with that fat piece of &()# in charge.

If the sole purpose of an IPF is to "keep up with the Jones's," then can we cut back on the rhetoric about it being such a big benefit in terms of its ability to keep us from losing practice time due to lightening/t-storms? Can we just admit that CFB is out of control with its spending and its catering to the whims of spoiled 18-year-olds, and that an IPF in South Florida, in particular, is another 20-30 million dollar example of just how decadent and silly a lot of this crap is?

Anybody who doesn't admit that is clueless.

It started spinning out of control in 2001 while we sat back and enjoyed our brief return to the spotlight without ANY expenditure toward the future. Leadership with vision and a recognition of the current state of things is everything, and we had none of it.

You get what you pay for, and we spent a decade watching the college football world pass on by.

UM

Advertisement

The "need" for an indoor practice facility was gained steam in recent years, because Golden cites it as a need and recruiting tool against other programs. Miami isn't spending in football where other schools are blah, blah, blah. Miami never had and never will have top flight facilities and I think investing in an IPF is a waste of resources. If a recruit asked about an indoor IPF, I'd tell them the average temp in February for Miami is 72 degrees and then cite the one for Columbus, South Bend and Tallahasse. The climate is a much more powerful recruiting tool than an indoor practice facility.

The community agrees the university doesn't invest enough in the facilities, which is never has, yet criticizes Golden for not winning with the talent on hand. Our facilities are not the problem. Winning solves everything.

The need for an IPF has nothing to do with Golden. Take Golden out of the equation. Everyone has an IPF. UCF has one or is building one. UF and FSU. We need one for those reasons alone. It has nothing to do with the actual weather, it has to do with keeping up with who we are recruiting against. It's not 1987 anymore, kids these days want the flashy new things. If we were winning every year like we were in the 80s, I'd say, no big deal, but we're not. College football has also changed so much since then. We need to do everything in our power to keep up with everyone else. Again, this has nothing to do with that fat piece of &()# in charge.

If the sole purpose of an IPF is to "keep up with the Jones's," then can we cut back on the rhetoric about it being such a big benefit in terms of its ability to keep us from losing practice time due to lightening/t-storms? Can we just admit that CFB is out of control with its spending and its catering to the whims of spoiled 18-year-olds, and that an IPF in South Florida, in particular, is another 20-30 million dollar example of just how decadent and silly a lot of this crap is?

It started spinning out of control in 2001 while we sat back and enjoyed our brief return to the spotlight without ANY expenditure toward the future. Leadership with vision and a recognition of the current state of things is everything, and we had none of it.

You get what you pay for, and we spent a decade watching the college football world pass on by.

UM

I'm pretty sure that's why we joined the ACC...because we were constantly in or near the red, despite winning championships. The move to the ACC was a wholly financial move meant to get the football team (and the Athletic Dept at large) on steady financial footing so that we could continue to compete in the changing landscape of CFB.

That said, I do find it interesting that everyone always blames the admin, but places no blame on the finicky fans and alums for not showing up to games (even when we were winning) and for not donating at the same rates as other big-time CFB programs.

Last edited:

UM

I'm pretty sure that's why we joined the ACC...because we were constantly in or near the red, despite winning championships. The move to the ACC was a wholly financial move meant to get the football team (and the Athletic Dept at large) on steady financial footing so that we could continue to compete in the changing landscape of CFB.

That said, I do find it interesting that everyone always blames the admin, but places no blame on the finicky fans and alums for not showing up to games (even when we were winning) and for not donating at the same rates as other big-time CFB programs.

UM moved conferences because it believed it would strengthen the brand in other sports and garner more TV power in major markets, which it did. Arms races are overrated. Kids aren't going to Bama because of the facilities, they are going there because it gets them to the League and/or a championship. Winning changes everything. In the imagination of this message board, Butch enters in 2016 and we win the ship in 2017, without facility upgrades. Does the administration give the athletics department everything they need? Probably not, but they aren't in a third world country with holes in their shoes either. Win games and kids won't care if they play in a hole in the ground.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back