So, how many will be in the 2022 recruiting class?

I really think we are big game Hunting in the portal..I’m thinking 4-6 portal guys this class. Due to the lack of talent in south Florida at some positions I don’t think this staff will settle chasing guys nationality

Advertisement
I will believe it when I see it that we’re taking under 20 kids. We should be aiming for 25 commits. We will not be hitting our team caps, the numbers always work out. Guys like Hillery and Herbert will leave. Guys we don’t want to leave will leave.

So IMO this is to meant to create a sense of urgency to the recruits who are attending their June functions that they better find a chair when the music stops or they’re out of the game.
The portal guys count against ICs. We also don't get relief against ICs when guys leave the program early. That only helps if the 85 roster limit comes into play.

I don't believe we can take 25 new recruits. We've already took 3 transfers and if we get another that can play MLB (as most want), that leaves us only 21 ICs for the next class.

The portal guys count against ICs. We also don't get relief against ICs when guys leave the program early. That only helps if the 85 roster limit comes into play.

I don't believe we can take 25 new recruits. We've already took 3 transfers and if we get another that can play MLB (as most want), that leaves us only 21 ICs for the next class.
I am pretty sure Cody Brown is the only one who counts against the next class. Rambo, Deandre, & Stevenson count against 2021 class. That being said, we currently have 24 ICs for class of 2022.

Skipping WR is how you wind up in a coker dynamic. WR is a spot we should take 2 in down years, 3 in normal ones, 4 only if one is an athlete or we get a kid late we can’t turn away. Good kids leave early, injuries happen, and offenses revolve around them these days.
Well said. Coker recruited two wide receivers in two cycles, which had long-term ramifications. Shannon had to overrecruit in 2008, signing six (!) receivers in that class. That means most of that position group is green together to start, and ages out at the same time too. As a result of signing so many in 2008, he had a hard time signing any the following year.

Advertisement
It’s taking along time to get roster symmetry here.
This roster debacle has continued through 4 head coaches.

A solid class this year will help immensely. LB group needs help though.

We should be taking full classes every year especially with how easy it is for kids to transfer.

Advertisement
I am pretty sure Cody Brown is the only one who counts against the next class. Rambo, Deandre, & Stevenson count against 2021 class. That being said, we currently have 24 ICs for class of 2022.

I was including transfers in my count. We should always aim for 25. The numbers always work out. Maybe when we're perennially in the BCS Championship things will change. Right now, we need to trade up, and even some good players on roster we hope will stick around for 2022 will leave or go pro early.

As far as HS vs. Portal, I see why they took Brown vs. 2022 RBs. And of course I would add a quality MLB in a heartbeat. We should be all over Moore unless coaches have the G2 that someone else even better will hit the portal soon and wants to land at UM.

So 2 spots for Portal, maybe back-pocket 3 more for post-season transfers and national elite HS players who could flip to us with a good season. But 20+ H.S. kids is a must to keep building the program. Look at that 2021 class. It's BCS level. We need another one back-to-back.

I was including transfers in my count. We should always aim for 25. The numbers always work out. Maybe when we're perennially in the BCS Championship things will change. Right now, we need to trade up, and even some good players on roster we hope will stick around for 2022 will leave or go pro early.

As far as HS vs. Portal, I see why they took Brown vs. 2022 RBs. And of course I would add a quality MLB in a heartbeat. We should be all over Moore unless coaches have the G2 that someone else even better will hit the portal soon and wants to land at UM.

So 2 spots for Portal, maybe back-pocket 3 more for post-season transfers and national elite HS players who could flip to us with a good season. But 20+ H.S. kids is a must to keep building the program. Look at that 2021 class. It's BCS level. We need another one back-to-back.
You can’t take 25 every year. Theres going to be 18-20 player classes. If players transfer , get kicked off or leave doesn’t free up spots. Ic’s are very strict.

Advertisement
You can’t take 25 every year. Theres going to be 18-20 player classes. If players transfer , get kicked off or leave doesn’t free up spots. Ic’s are very strict.

I'll need to be schooled by TOC again, then. Because I understood the 85 team cap was fixed (except this year because of Covid). But I also understood that the 25 class cap replenishes every year.

So unless I'm mistaken, as long as you're below the team cap, you can add up to 25 new kids each year (yes, I know transfers count towards the class). And I believe we'll have enough graduations, early NFL departures and transfers to be at or below 60 kids, not counting the incoming class of 2022.

Guys like Wiggins, Matocha, Jennings, Steed, Herbert, Hillery all have an extra year or more to play college football after this season. I expect a (very) large exodus of them one way or another between now and next year.

I'll need to be schooled by TOC again, then. Because I understood the 85 team cap was fixed (except this year because of Covid). But I also understood that the 25 class cap replenishes every year.

So unless I'm mistaken, as long as you're below the team cap, you can add up to 25 new kids each year (yes, I know transfers count towards the class). And I believe we'll have enough graduations, early NFL departures and transfers to be at or below 60 kids, not counting the incoming class of 2022.

Guys like Wiggins, Matocha, Jennings, Steed, Herbert, Hillery all have an extra year or more to play college football after this season. I expect a (very) large exodus of them one way or another between now and next year.
I can see the class as follows:
Qb- 1
Rb- none
Wr- 2
TE- 1
O line- 3
D line- 4
Backers/strikers- 3
Corners- 4
Safety- 1
This would put us at 19. I think this would meet our needs while maintaining max flexibility for the portal additions.

There's been a lot of speculation as to numbers. With the extra year granted to everyone due to COVID, the numbers crunching got that much harder.

Rivals spoke to Pop Cooney about the plan. Cooney told them if things remain EXACTLY the way they are, no transfers taken, there will be 92 players on the roster. The 8 seniors don't count towards the roster cap, (per the NCAA) so the Canes have 84 scholarship players when the 2021 season begins.

So will the staff look to take a transfer? This is what Cooney said:

“I think with how we’ve built our culture, have our locker room set up, it’d have to be a phenomenal guy to come in, a unicorn, man,” Cooney said.

Cooney says if one of those “unicorns” comes along in the portal the next couple of months - i.e. the next D’Eriq King or Jaelan Phillips … well, of course that would change the current formula for how UM is viewing things.

It's possible this class could be as small as 16, with the numbers distributed as follows:

QB - 1
RB - 0 (Cody Brown coming in as part of 2021 but counting forward)
WR - 2
TE-- 1
OL- 3
DL- 3
LB- 2
CB -3
S - 1

It's possible there could be a Punter brought in but there is a feeling that there are guys on the team that would work out just as well.

These are just MINIMUM numbers - it's possible the class could be closer to 20 or even a full class, depending on WHO wants in....

Cooney said “Our thing is we just want to evaluate guys and let the chips fall where they may. We’re not going to limit ourselves on numbers because we still want to make sure we’re doing our due diligence and our thumbprint.”

Cooney says it “is definitely” by design that UM has just one commitment so far. He said that kids want to go out and see places, take OVs, and the staff is making sure they are careful with accepting commits.
Nice cut and paste from fermans site lol

Advertisement
I recall a lot of folks around here saying the ‘portal’ had changed cfb and recruiting and we were going to mine it to eternity.

I recall pointing out that the numbers wouldn’t add up.

Most of what he says makes sense and sounds right/good.

3 DL sounds crazy though. 3 OL sounds low by 1. 3 DL is definitely low by 2.

Literally no one said we’re going to mine it to eternity.

Agree but we have about 13 wrs and only 2 SRs and we're not involved with any elite wrs this year and should be with a couple next year.If there's only room for 3 DL,I rather skip or sign only 1 WR and sign another top DL.

You speak about our number of WRs as if that number will remain static...

Advertisement
Back