So, how many will be in the 2022 recruiting class?

Rivals spoke to Pop Cooney about the plan.

So will the staff look to take a transfer? This is what Cooney said:

“I think with how we’ve built our culture, have our locker room set up, it’d have to be a phenomenal guy to come in, a unicorn, man,” Cooney said.

Cooney says if one of those “unicorns” comes along in the portal the next couple of months - i.e. the next D’Eriq King or Jaelan Phillips … well, of course that would change the current formula for how UM is viewing things.
So, is Cooney saying the transfer from UNLV is a unicorn?

Advertisement
Skipping WR is how you wind up in a coker dynamic. WR is a spot we should take 2 in down years, 3 in normal ones, 4 only if one is an athlete or we get a kid late we can’t turn away. Good kids leave early, injuries happen, and offenses revolve around them these days.
We should be getting one on board this week (Quan Lee) or at least that’s what seems to be trending.

Advertisement
With the portal being what it is, you no longer have to fill the back end of your class with projects and guys you’re “meh” on. Take the cream of the crop, whatever number that is, and then fill with transfers who you know can contribute.

Some years that number may be 20+, other years maybe only 15.

5 DL, 3LB, 5 DB, 4 OL, 1 TE, 2 WR, 1 QB, 1 punter is what I see between both portal and HS.

Maybe portal is one of the DL or OL or LB or even a BA TE if we can’t get the HS guys we we want.

***** taking a small class because of roster numbers. This should finally be the year we push out dead weight. Let the guys that aren’t gonna play transfer or finish degrees. Then have the roster full of real players and those with potential.

Advertisement
A few things:

- '21 was the exception, not the rule in terms of top to bottom quality in a signing class. Inking 20+ "Miami quality" IC's is a rarity and the '22 class is reportedly thin for particular position groups in FL. Thus the logic with "proven" (to whatever extent) portal takes.

- Lashley probly finds greener pastures after '21 so having the qb for the '22 class locked in, as well as Cody Brown (in a weak upcoming RB class) is prudent to say the least. Even Oluwaseun adds a veteran, quality "prospect" for 2 seasons - if Justice bolts too. And physicality and off-field work ethic is needed - and the UNLV transfer appears the part. The So.FL. O-lineman on this roster are subpar in that respect notwithstanding recent overall progress. Maybe the future Scaife's hit the weights. Or the future Donaldson's use the training table discreetly.

- Waiting on the defensive side of the ball. The other side of the ball targets and takes, while we seem to be big game hunting on D. Patience, I guess. The failures at LB are blinding. The way Manny's worked the portal I have to believe something's in the works. Hoping the plus-plus recruiters on that side of the ball ultimately get it done.

A few things:

- '21 was the exception, not the rule in terms of top to bottom quality in a signing class. Inking 20+ "Miami quality" IC's is a rarity and the '22 class is reportedly thin for particular position groups in FL. Thus the logic with "proven" (to whatever extent) portal takes.

- Lashley probly finds greener pastures after '21 so having the qb for the '22 class locked in, as well as Cody Brown (in a weak upcoming RB class) is prudent to say the least. Even Oluwaseun adds a veteran, quality "prospect" for 2 seasons - if Justice bolts too. And physicality and off-field work ethic is needed - and the UNLV transfer appears the part. The So.FL. O-lineman on this roster are subpar in that respect notwithstanding recent overall progress. Maybe the future Scaife's hit the weights. Or the future Donaldson's use the training table discreetly.

- Waiting on the defensive side of the ball. The other side of the ball targets and takes, while we seem to be big game hunting on D. Patience, I guess. The failures at LB are blinding. The way Manny's worked the portal I have to believe something's in the works. Hoping the plus-plus recruiters on that side of the ball ultimately get it done.
Regarding, Lashlee I'm not sure he'll be in as high demand from major P5 jobs unless he considerably improves the offense from last year. His game planning vs Clemson & UNC were poor. I think we'll be better this year but not sure if our improvement would warrant a **** enough gig to bail on us. I don't see Lashlee leaving for some G5 level head coach position.

Advertisement
Chip if we want to be back in the NC hunt then 2021 has to be the rule not the exception.

I hear ya man, but right now we still have 23 spots for incoming freshman. The dynamic of the portal has changed conventional program building. Couple that with a down year state-wide for a couple/few position groups and the strategy is understandable. A couple more solid portal takes along with a quality 20 high school signees, this year particularly (Co-Vid dynamic), would be a nice haul.

Further, there are still unknowns in terms of defections and if/when counters will be adjusted by the NCAA.

I'll need to be schooled by TOC again, then. Because I understood the 85 team cap was fixed (except this year because of Covid). But I also understood that the 25 class cap replenishes every year.

So unless I'm mistaken, as long as you're below the team cap, you can add up to 25 new kids each year (yes, I know transfers count towards the class). And I believe we'll have enough graduations, early NFL departures and transfers to be at or below 60 kids, not counting the incoming class of 2022.

Guys like Wiggins, Matocha, Jennings, Steed, Herbert, Hillery all have an extra year or more to play college football after this season. I expect a (very) large exodus of them one way or another between now and next year.

We can give out 25 LOI scholarships per year (not gonna get into all the technicalities and loopholes right now).

For the August 2021 to July 2022 cycle, we had a max of 25 ICs (we already maxed out all prior years). The HS RB that we signed (who was released from his LOI by Tennessee) took one of the 25 spots. The transfer guard from UNLV will take a second one of those 25 spots when he enrolls and signs his LOI and gets his financial aid in August.

We have 23 spots left for the next recruiting cycle.

Advertisement
Regarding, Lashlee I'm not sure he'll be in as high demand from major P5 jobs unless he considerably improves the offense from last year. His game planning vs Clemson & UNC were poor. I think we'll be better this year but not sure if our improvement would warrant a **** enough gig to bail on us. I don't see Lashlee leaving for some G5 level head coach position.

with virtually no practice time we went from having the worst offense in the P5 to around 30th.

with virtually no practice time we went from having the worst offense in the P5 to around 30th.
Don't get me wrong, I like Lashlee, we improved, but vs the teams with equal to better talent the offense was completely stymied. I want to see him improve his utilization of TE's & rb's in the pass game, hopefully having a full, true offseason makes a difference. If it all clicks and we hit another level offensively then he'll definitely get strong interest elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back