So, how many will be in the 2022 recruiting class?

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
There's been a lot of speculation as to numbers. With the extra year granted to everyone due to COVID, the numbers crunching got that much harder.

Rivals spoke to Pop Cooney about the plan. Cooney told them if things remain EXACTLY the way they are, no transfers taken, there will be 92 players on the roster. The 8 seniors don't count towards the roster cap, (per the NCAA) so the Canes have 84 scholarship players when the 2021 season begins.

So will the staff look to take a transfer? This is what Cooney said:

“I think with how we’ve built our culture, have our locker room set up, it’d have to be a phenomenal guy to come in, a unicorn, man,” Cooney said.

Cooney says if one of those “unicorns” comes along in the portal the next couple of months - i.e. the next D’Eriq King or Jaelan Phillips … well, of course that would change the current formula for how UM is viewing things.

It's possible this class could be as small as 16, with the numbers distributed as follows:

QB - 1
RB - 0 (Cody Brown coming in as part of 2021 but counting forward)
WR - 2
TE-- 1
OL- 3
DL- 3
LB- 2
CB -3
S - 1

It's possible there could be a Punter brought in but there is a feeling that there are guys on the team that would work out just as well.

These are just MINIMUM numbers - it's possible the class could be closer to 20 or even a full class, depending on WHO wants in....

Cooney said “Our thing is we just want to evaluate guys and let the chips fall where they may. We’re not going to limit ourselves on numbers because we still want to make sure we’re doing our due diligence and our thumbprint.”

Cooney says it “is definitely” by design that UM has just one commitment so far. He said that kids want to go out and see places, take OVs, and the staff is making sure they are careful with accepting commits.

Advertisement
There's been a lot of speculation as to numbers. With the extra year granted to everyone due to COVID, the numbers crunching got that much harder.

Rivals spoke to Pop Cooney about the plan. Cooney told them if things remain EXACTLY the way they are, no transfers taken, there will be 92 players on the roster. The 8 seniors don't count towards the roster cap, (per the NCAA) so the Canes have 84 scholarship players when the 2021 season begins.

“I think with how we’ve built our culture, have our locker room set up, it’d have to be a phenomenal guy to come in, a unicorn, man,” Cooney said.

Cooney says if one of those “unicorns” comes along in the portal the next couple of months - i.e. the next D’Eriq King or Jaelan Phillips … well, of course that would change the current formula for how UM is viewing things.

It's possible this class could be as small as 16, with the numbers distributed as follows:

QB - 1
WR - 2
TE-- 1
OL- 3
DL- 3
LB- 2
CB -3
S - 1

It's possible there could be a Punter brought in but there is a feeling that there are guys on the team that would work out just as well.

These are just MINIMUM numbers - it's possible the class could be closer to 20 or even a full class, depending on WHO wants in....

Cooney said “Our thing is we just want to evaluate guys and let the chips fall where they may. We’re not going to limit ourselves on numbers because we still want to make sure we’re doing our due diligence and our thumbprint.”

Cooney says it “is definitely” by design that UM has just one commitment so far. He said that kids want to go out and see places, take OVs, and the staff is making sure they are careful with accepting commits.
🤔

Unless the NCAA gives Transfer IC relief, I would expect us to sign 20 high school kids.

Advertisement

QB - 1
WR - 2
TE-- 1
OL- 3
DL- 3
LB- 2
CB -3
S - 1

I recall a lot of folks around here saying the ‘portal’ had changed cfb and recruiting and we were going to mine it to eternity.

I recall pointing out that the numbers wouldn’t add up.

Most of what he says makes sense and sounds right/good.

3 DL sounds crazy though. 3 OL sounds low by 1. 3 DL is definitely low by 2.

Advertisement
No way they only sign 3
dl with all the talent available,that only happens if they strikeout miserably.I would skip wr and sign a couple more,especially DEs.
Skipping WR is how you wind up in a coker dynamic. WR is a spot we should take 2 in down years, 3 in normal ones, 4 only if one is an athlete or we get a kid late we can’t turn away. Good kids leave early, injuries happen, and offenses revolve around them these days.

Skipping WR is how you wind up in a coker dynamic. WR is a spot we should take 2 in down years, 3 in normal ones, 4 only if one is an athlete or we get a kid late we can’t turn away. Good kids leave early, injuries happen, and offenses revolve around them these days.
Agree but we have about 13 wrs and only 2 SRs and we're not involved with any elite wrs this year and should be with a couple next year.If there's only room for 3 DL,I rather skip or sign only 1 WR and sign another top DL.

At DT, we have Hunte and Holley from three cycles ago. Roberts from two cycles ago, assuming he moves inside. Haye and LT from last cycle. That’s 2-3 in two years, one of whom is a converted end. If we take less than 2 this cycle it’s a big roster concern.

At DE, we’ve taken a bunch of guys but not an obvious monster in a while. Harvey, Cam Williams from 3 cycles ago, Chantz Williams, Q. Williams from two cycles ago. Ishmael, T. Davis this past cycle. We don’t really lack numbers but quality depth is questionable. With all the talent this cycle we all expect 3 monsters, but if we took 2 it wouldn’t cause a roster hole, just a fan meltdown. Still would like to see 3.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree but we have about 13 wrs and only 2 SRs and we're not involved with any elite wrs this year and should be with a couple next year.If there's only room for 3 DL,I rather skip or sign only 1 WR and sign another top DL.
If our limit is roster spots not ICs, just dump some guys who aren’t helping to free up space. We hsve plenty of kids who should be close to getting their degrees already.

In terms of quality, I’m skeptical on our talent level. We took only Payton 3 cycles ago and he hasn’t shown anything yet. Two cycles ago we took Smith, Worsham, Redding, Restreppo. I know folks are excited off spring reports but I doubt that group includes an Andre Johnson or Reggie Wayne. Restreppo may be the best of the group and we aren’t much removed from folks thinking he should switch to CB. Last cycle we took Smith, Brinson, George. Again, excitement but no results yet. I’m not saying take 3 more, but skipping this position has killed us in the past.

Also, seems like every time I hear there aren’t good local options, some of the local guys we pass on turn out to be really good. No reason to think it will be different this year. We should be able to find a couple WRs somewhere in the country who merit schollies.

At DT, we have Hunte and Holley from three cycles ago. Roberts from two cycles ago, assuming he moves inside. Only Haye from last cycle. That’s 2 in two years, one of whom is a converted end. If we take less than 2 this cycle it’s a big roster concern.

At DE, we’ve taken a bunch of guys but not an obvious monster in a while. Harvey, Cam Williams from 3 cycles ago, Chantz Williams, Q. Williams from two cycles ago. Ishmael, T. Davis this past cycle. We don’t really lack numbers but quality depth is questionable. With all the talent this cycle we all expect 3 monsters, but if we took 2 it wouldn’t cause a roster hole, just a fan meltdown. Still would like to see 3.
Did you really just forget about Leonard Taylor?

QB - 1
WR - 2
TE-- 1
OL- 3
DL- 3
LB- 2
CB -3
S - 1

No way 4 dbs and 3 dl. No shot in ****

Advertisement
Unless many does some bs by playing upper class-man i see 2 or 3 lesving . Manny better put the best kids on the field this year or he might be gone.

Unless many does some bs by playing upper class-man i see 2 or 3 lesving . Manny better put the best kids on the field this year or he might be gone.
he’s not going anywhere, there’s no way we don’t win @minimum 8 games even if he made pope wide out #1

I will believe it when I see it that we’re taking under 20 kids. We should be aiming for 25 commits. We will not be hitting our team caps, the numbers always work out. Guys like Hillery and Herbert will leave. Guys we don’t want to leave will leave.

So IMO this is to meant to create a sense of urgency to the recruits who are attending their June functions that they better find a chair when the music stops or they’re out of the game.

Cooney said those are the MINIMUM numbers. I think the point of his comments are they don't feel "obligated" to any particular number.
As they get guys on campus in June to work out at camps and individually, the thinking on the numbers could change for sure.

Advertisement
Back