So how do we make room for 32-33 kids?

hawaiicane

Thunderdome
Many think we will get a huge class this year. Some think we could even hit 35, but i dont think that is realistic, unless some of those kids dont qualify or they greyshirt, in which case they wont be around for the 2012 season to help us.

Assuming we take a 33 man class, how do we make room for it? We have 17 SRs graduating and 3 unfilled schollies. That means we need to find 13 kids who wont be here in Aug 2012.

Here are some possibilities:

Holton
Miller (NFL)
Hall
Sanders
Calhoun
White
Wells
Ben Jones
Thompkins
Junior Alexis
Vernon (NFL)
Greene (medical)
Payne
Davon Johnson

Then there's Ray Ray and Forston. Part of me is just fed up with these two and wouldnt shed a single tear if we let these busts go. OTOH, part of me is hopeful that Golden pulls off a miracle ala Streeter and gets these perennial disappointments to actually perform to the level of their hype.

Advertisement
Holton will stay. I think they'll find a role for him. Plus, he's a 5th year kid who actually didn't look too bad against Maryland this year.

Sanders, Calhoun, White, Wells, Alexis can all kick rocks.

Why would you get rid of Wells and Alexis they both are freshmen that were brought here for depth purposes

Kendall and Davon will definitely stay. They are good for special teams imo.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but Thompkins, Johnson, and Holton will all be 5th year kids and only contribute on STs. I wouldn't be surprised if they were apart of the attrition.

It seems likely we are going to need 8-10 kids leave the program.

Advertisement
Holton will stay. I think they'll find a role for him. Plus, he's a 5th year kid who actually didn't look too bad against Maryland this year.

Sanders, Calhoun, White, Wells, Alexis can all kick rocks.

But wait, why would Golden bring guys like Wells and Alexis in late, only to send them packing?

Regardless, we are going to see some serious house cleaning for sure.

Well, from what some have said, Hunter Wells doesn't even like it down here. So we probably don't need to get rid of him, he may be off on his own. I can't see Holton sticking around. Having one decent game your entire career isn't reason to have him stick around. Same goes for at least DJ. There will be lots of guys we can use on special teams. He doesn't do anything that makes him stand out. I could maybe see Thompkins sticking around with all the WRs leaving. He may get more of a chance to actually contribute.

Advertisement
I still dont think they can sign more than 29 or 30 FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS for this coming NLOI day.

I would not be surprised if quite a few players are encouraged to leave in order to make room. I think 30+ is definitely feasible.

If David Thompson is one of those commits, I believe he would count against baseball (until he actually played a down of football).

I also think you partially answered your own question; some of them will almost certainly not qualify.

Advertisement
I still dont think they can sign more than 29 or 30 FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS for this coming NLOI day.

Theoretically I think we can sign 34 total incoming kids (9 EE's + 25 2012 summer enrollees)...not sure how we get those #'s to work with the 85 scholly limit but iirc those are the magic #'s class-wise.

I agree. We need to get 7-8 early enrollees to come in January and then max out the 25 in Feb to get us to 33.

I'm not too worried about the 25 man annual limit which is easy to work around using EEs. The real problem is the 85 man hard cap.

Advertisement
Calhoun announced as a sr last Thursday he's done and yes this class will be 33-35 just like Randy first class in 2008. And just like his class Golden class will have 2 to 3 non qualifiers just like every huge class has them.

50.jpg

Advertisement
Back