So Danny Kanell Just Admitted to getting under the table benefits at FSU...

Steakhouse dinners seem pretty insignificant when compared to booster buying ACTUAL houses for players' families.

I always thought it was incredible how the NCAA went so hard after Miami because Nevin bought a bunch of guys drinks and dinners. I have friends who went to UF that told me all the football players ate and drank for free at pretty much every bar near campus. The Purple Porpoise (I know it sounds like a *** bar but it was a popular place by UF in the 90's) had a section specifically reserved for football players and their guests.

Advertisement
Was just listening to the Ryen Russillo podcast and he had Danny Kanell on as a guest to talk about California's new "fair pay-to-play" law. Near the end of the episode Danny just sort of starts bragging about some of the things he did in Tallahassee in 1995 that would have gotten him and/or FSU football suspended if caught. Go to 59:30 in the interview and he goes into the details:

1) Stated that the owner of car dealership would liberally hand out hundred dollar bills any time players would stop by - he didn't go into details about how often he went in for a hand out, but it was pretty obvious that most of the players made a regular appearance to get their weekly "handouts".

2) Bragged about this high-end steakhouse in Tallahassee called "Silver Slipper" that he would take his entire offensive line to pretty regularly. After dinner the owner would bring out the check that showed the total bill as ONE DOLLAR ($1). High end steakhouse dinner for a QB + offensive line would be well over $1K even in 1995.

We all know this goes on and I really don't care. But I find it hilarious that we had guys like Kanell leaning on ESPN and the NCAA to go after Miami when a criminal was accusing Miami players for getting free drinks at clubs, hanging out at his mansion and taking fishing trips on a boat. Meanwhile, he's now kicking back bragging about doing similar things only 4-5 years earlier at FSU. The hypocrisy is palpable. The bias is real and I doubt we will ever shake it.

Well dUh! This recent REVELATION is OLD news! Major college football players been getting cash rewards in SUBTLE dark alley way for a LONGTEMP now. dUh I believe y'all young school cats call it... bag money now days.

For example, it is a well-known FACT that a lot of those CornSUCKER players were getting BIG TIME dollar bills going back to the early eighties and up to their NC days of the mid-nineties. Crap, that RB Rozier was from the " east coast " and was HEAVILY recruited by some big time major winning programs back in the early seasons of President Ronnie Boy. And he goes to small town capitol town CornSUCKER-ville. Get outta' here.

Nevertheless, too bad Rozier and his CornSUCKER teammates couldn't defeat Miami in that NC game back ' 83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much for those piles of one-hundred dollar bills helping Nebraska in the Orange Bowl NC game. LMFAO

Last edited:
The other problem is that the NCAA is VERY selective in how they enforce the rules.

True that.

Nobody in the history of the NCAA probably has the set up that Saban does, being complicit in a cover up with the NCAA president, but Bowden was a pretty close golden goose. He would throw out the golly gee willikers bull****, and all was forgiven.

miami is the only school in the history of college athletics that the "booster" paying off the players went an dropped dime on the school. that shapiro is a rat POS.

Jail bird was PROVEN to be tossing around HEARSAY. That's why the NCAA couldn't PUNISH the Miami, Florida Hurricane football program, like it wanted too. dUh Miami was the one to induce " self-punishment " and all that.

Advertisement
$20 handshakes, hundred dollar handshakes, free meals, gifts, all that is common at every college.

What I talk, and others here talk, about the corruption, we’re talking about the big bags, we’re talking about the shadow jobs, the no-show jobs, the salaries that are being paid at Bama and other SEC schools. Stuff that is not being done to any kind of extent at Miami and because of this we are at a disadvantage.

The penny ante stuff everybody does.

The hundred thousand dollars salary and other major perks, that’s just a few schools. We know who they are.

Why do you think you see families with big shlt eating grins when they get their pictures taken with Kurby at Georgia
The cars that relatives sign for where loans are forgiven if you never make the league.

The GA positions for 3rd cousins twice removed.

The 6-bedroom home with no mortgage "sold at auction."

Steakhouse dinners seem pretty insignificant when compared to booster buying ACTUAL houses for players' families.

I always thought it was incredible how the NCAA went so hard after Miami because Nevin bought a bunch of guys drinks and dinners. I have friends who went to UF that told me all the football players ate and drank for free at pretty much every bar near campus. The Purple Porpoise (I know it sounds like a *** bar but it was a popular place by UF in the 90's) had a section specifically reserved for football players and their guests.
We got a program-destroying type probation in the 90s over the Pell Grant "scandal." Go back and read the docs. The football program had maybe $120,000 TOTAL involvement in that. That's it. Not even a pimple on an elephant's *** in terms of what payments go on.

Agreed. Free dinner and drinks takes place at the high school level, let alone a major college program.

Also, I see the point of the OP, but I had to laugh at Silver Slipper being considered a "high end" steakhouse. Having lived in Tallahassee for far too long, I have been to that restaurant on many different occasions. Calling it a high end steakhouse is like calling a Chrysler 300 a Bentley.

Advertisement
Agreed. Free dinner and drinks takes place at the high school level, let alone a major college program.

Also, I see the point of the OP, but I had to laugh at Silver Slipper being considered a "high end" steakhouse. Having lived in Tallahassee for far too long, I have been to that restaurant on many different occasions. Calling it a high end steakhouse is like calling a Chrysler 300 a Bentley.
Lol, I was like what exactly constitutes "high end" in trailernasty? Carpeting?

Every college football team in the country has some kind of "free perks". Some are just more ridiculous and blatant than others. I was at UCF during the Daunte Culpepper years and that dude was driving around in a brand new Lincoln Navigator. Mind you, this is not the UCF of today who plays on national TV and goes to major bowl games. They had literally just made the jump from 1-AA to 1-A at the time.
I was there too and saw the same thing. Dude had 20s ($5k) back then, sound system and jewelery on.

The Pell Grant controversy, weren't there other schools that also got caught up with their own Pell Grant controversy mostly in the Midwest, and nothing happened to them. Also remember some secretary that worked for Notre Dame that took some football players and party with them and apy their way, nothing happened to anyone. Yeah but we got slam

Lol, I was like what exactly constitutes "high end" in trailernasty? Carpeting?
LMAO at "carpeting"

It's a decent spot, but it could never be mistaken as "high end." If memory serves me right, it was located right behind a **** Staples or Office Depot or some s'hit. You could get a "fancy" steak and printer ink refills at the same **** time.

Advertisement
dadgummit.jpg

The other problem is that the NCAA is VERY selective in how they enforce the rules.
This is actually the biggest problem FOR ME. I have a hard time getting myself mad because a kid found somebody willing to drop thousands of dollars in his lap, especially when we know quite a few of those kids comes from tight situations money wise.
Now, the playing favorites sh*t that the NCAA does when doling out punishment is outrageous;

reg.........that is extreme........do the tables have cloth or vinyl, and are the knives and forks open or wrapped and tucked, adjacent to the wine glass?...Love your analogy....

Advertisement
We got a program-destroying type probation in the 90s over the Pell Grant "scandal." Go back and read the docs. The football program had maybe $120,000 TOTAL involvement in that. That's it. Not even a pimple on an elephant's *** in terms of what payments go on.

It’s because it involved the government, if these schools ever caught by the government/irs you bet they would be finished

We also make it very easy for them to target us. I'm sure the owner of the Silver Slipper, and the owner of whatever stupid car dealership up in Tallahassee it was handing out the hundreds, had no problem staying quiet about what they were doing. Of course, in Miami we have look-at-me morons who want to make a big splash and talk about it, like Luther Campbell (back then), and whiny scam artists like little Nevin who get all ****y if they feel like they don't get the attention and accolades they deserve. Idiots......if you want to be a bag man by any definition, you need to be 100% OK with no one knowing who you are and what you're doing.

Our problem here was always multifold - first, people in South Florida can't keep their mouths shut about this stuff, even so-called fans of the team. Always have to try to brag and act like a big shot. That's just our own fan base - second, we have way too many FSU and UF grads down here who would like nothing better than to snitch on Miami.

reg.........that is extreme........do the tables have cloth or vinyl, and are the knives and forks open or wrapped and tucked, adjacent to the wine glass?...Love your analogy....
Paper, and wrapped.. .in plastic.

Advertisement
Back