So at this point, are your expectations for the season being met?

paksat

Junior
Banned
Seeing us lose to fiu among other things last season, I just didn't know what to think about Diaz. Some people are great coordinators, but just can't do it at the head coaching level. It sure looked like that last season, and a lot of it fell on coaching as we consistently looked like we were not ready to play.

This season though, we are now 7-1 and it hasn't been pretty. BUT we have won 7 games and only lost to clemson, that has to mean something on it's own right? Vegas had us winning around 6-7 games this year I believe. Some things are clear at this point, with the number 1 issue being that blake baker is in over his head by miles. The real issue is it is hard to tell where this team would be if king wasn't doing the things he has been doing. If the answer is 3 losses at this point, I'm probably not gonna be happy. King might have some issues with deep balls but he is a heck of a leader, has good legs, and doesn't turn the ball over. I feel like he's really masking some of the more glaring issues with this team.

The most glaring one is the lack of turnovers compared to how things were when diaz was calling the plays. That's probably the most frustrating aspect for me personally I might add. I used to look forward to seeing our defense get on the field especially in 2018. Now we feel like we're a big 12 team and it's infuriating at times. Anyway, I feel like we HAVE to beat unc for me to say "yeah diaz did good this year." This program has GOT to get back to beating the teams it should on a consistent basis.

How do the rest of you feel about the season so far?

Advertisement
Unfortunately it feels like 2017 again, although more fun to watch because the offense is actually competent. We are 7-1 although it doesn’t feel like it, but we are winning and finding a way to win games that we very well could be losing.

I’m very happy with being 7-1, but how we have looked is another story. We are undisciplined, and very immature, and our penalties and blown assignments show that. I blame most of that on coaching/leadership.

King has been the difference between us being 7-1 or 4-3/3-4 right now, I’m very thankful for him and praying we get another year out of him.

So, being 7-1 is awesome, but we need to be better in all aspects of the game or else we will be exposed badly, and it all falls on coaching IMO.

I expected maybe 7-4 and with a lot of luck maybe 8-3. Will be happy this year to beat that. We are at least a couple recruiting classes away from where I would like us to be

"So at this point, are your expectations for the season being met?"

For the most part.
7-1 is what I expected. Would have been happy with 6-2.

Advertisement
The most glaring one is the lack of turnovers compared to how things were when diaz was calling the plays. That's probably the most frustrating aspect for me personally I might add.
There’s a lot of luck involved with turnovers, plus Blades and Ivey don’t have ball skills. Bolden is often looking for a kill shot instead of making a play on the ball. As much a Baker sucks, not sure he should catch a lot of blame for that.

I didnt have much expectations for the season. I had more expectations when it came to the season getting possibly cancelled.

With that being said, this program heads into the right direction. 2021 recruiting class is one that could solidify this team as a consistent top 15 squad for the long-term future.

I expected the range to be 10-1 to 8-3, with no idea on the bowl game. Just beating the teams we lost to last year is an accomplishment, we have 2 more of those on our schedule left, if we beat both GT and UNC it would be progress. Never expected the D to be this bad, but Rousseau being here would have been quite a bit of help. I am happy we are 7-1, wish we were playing better, not satisfied, never satisfied.

We were 6-7 last year, lost a bunch of starters from last year, everyone had us as the 6th best team in the league, yet we are 7-1. I don’t know how good our team has come since the beginning of the year since we haven’t been at full strength for the last 3 games. My hope is everyone is back for the UNC game.

Advertisement
I think so. I expected the offense to be better, as it has been, and I expected the defense to be the same, as it has been with this defensive staff. I thought realistically we would go 8-3. We still have a good shot at 10-1. Just pile wins and recruits and change staff on defense in the off-season.

Yes. Honestly, if we lose out, my expectations have been met.

ask me this after three more games

I expect to beat Gatech

Wake Forest will be tricky

UNC will be a real litmus test...
This 100%. At this point in the season despite looking like an average team with an exceptional quarterback, every one of you would take 7-1. Now if we finish 8-3, I'd revert to saying this was just an ok season. 9-2 is pretty good, about on par with expectations/slightly exceeding them as long as the one defeat isn't to GT, 10-1 exceeds all expectations and would be fantastic.

Advertisement
I expected the range to be 10-1 to 8-3, with no idea on the bowl game. Just beating the teams we lost to last year is an accomplishment, we have 2 more of those on our schedule left, if we beat both GT and UNC it would be progress. Never expected the D to be this bad, but Rousseau being here would have been quite a bit of help. I am happy we are 7-1, wish we were playing better, not satisfied, never satisfied.
Did we not lose 5 or 6 starters on defense. Did we not know the lb s coming back sucked along with very little sure players in DB. Do not understand how anyone expected defense to not take a step back

I’m good with how the season is going, I like to have had a better outing against Clemson (A 2 possession loss would have been respectable), but we are where we are, 8 games in with 3 games left and one loss, with a chance to finish strong down the stretch, have something to take with recruiting and as great improvement.

This is not 2017 where winning a couple games was by last minute heroics, bad throws turning into great catches resulting in last second wins.
Now we are winning with great 4th quarter execution, and time remaining on the clock. Games that we would have definitely lost in the
past are now victories. Additionally we have some leaders on both sides of the ball, and a never say die qb. Not saying we will win out,
but this is progress.

Advertisement
7-1. It's basically focus on the next game and find a way to win . We're in the learning process of how to win and how not to blow a game. Recruitung at a high level and upgrading the staff in certain areas will take us from where we are now to that next tier of winning and recruiting. We will get there. The remaining games are all winnable and we will win them.

Last edited:
Seeing us lose to fiu among other things last season, I just didn't know what to think about Diaz. Some people are great coordinators, but just can't do it at the head coaching level. It sure looked like that last season, and a lot of it fell on coaching as we consistently looked like we were not ready to play.

This season though, we are now 7-1 and it hasn't been pretty. BUT we have won 7 games and only lost to clemson, that has to mean something on it's own right? Vegas had us winning around 6-7 games this year I believe. Some things are clear at this point, with the number 1 issue being that blake baker is in over his head by miles. The real issue is it is hard to tell where this team would be if king wasn't doing the things he has been doing. If the answer is 3 losses at this point, I'm probably not gonna be happy. King might have some issues with deep balls but he is a heck of a leader, has good legs, and doesn't turn the ball over. I feel like he's really masking some of the more glaring issues with this team.

The most glaring one is the lack of turnovers compared to how things were when diaz was calling the plays. That's probably the most frustrating aspect for me personally I might add. I used to look forward to seeing our defense get on the field especially in 2018. Now we feel like we're a big 12 team and it's infuriating at times. Anyway, I feel like we HAVE to beat unc for me to say "yeah diaz did good this year." This program has GOT to get back to beating the teams it should on a consistent basis.

How do the rest of you feel about the season so far?

Grade A season so far. I expected we would lose to Clemson and two other teams we shouldn't by now. I don't care about the margin of victory. Winning is hard. You know who cares about "style points"? Gender-fluid ladydudes that wear frilly dresses.

So far we are ahead of my expectations by two games. I didn't expect to be in the acc championship as I knew the instant the ACC commissioner said Notre Dame could play in the acc championship game that the fix was in. There was no reason the conference couldn't put Miami - ND on the schedule, but they couldn't take that chance since we were both expected to lose to Clemson. Miami beating ND head to head would have spoiled the plans. So ND got Clemson at home to give them the best chance, and to make sure if they lost, that it would be closer than Miami- Clemson (they made that part of the tiebreaker). Then you have the refs pitching in. Miami has had to overcome a ton to be 7-1.

My "realistic" season ceiling was one loss on the year (Clemson) and a NY6 bowl game victory, which leads to 1-2 more 5 stars wanting to sign up. So far so good.

Grade A season so far. I expected we would lose to Clemson and two other teams we shouldn't by now. I don't care about the margin of victory. Winning is hard. You know who cares about "style points"? Gender-fluid ladydudes that wear frilly dresses.

So far we are ahead of my expectations by two games. I didn't expect to be in the acc championship as I knew the instant the ACC commissioner said Notre Dame could play in the acc championship game that the fix was in. There was no reason the conference couldn't put Miami - ND on the schedule, but they couldn't take that chance since we were both expected to lose to Clemson. Miami beating ND head to head would have spoiled the plans. So ND got Clemson at home to give them the best chance, and to make sure if they lost, that it would be closer than Miami- Clemson (they made that part of the tiebreaker). Then you have the refs pitching in. Miami has had to overcome a ton to be 7-1.

My "realistic" season ceiling was one loss on the year (Clemson) and a NY6 bowl game victory, which leads to 1-2 more 5 stars wanting to sign up. So far so good.
Winning isn’t hard when you have NFL talent on your roster. It’s only hard when your program is run by incompetent people. Style points matter. Just ask pollsters and recruits.

Advertisement
Back