So, are we really gonna pay the going rate for an elite HC?

This is another case of you get what you pay for. Pay C A G more, and you will get better results. Why should he give you top 5 results when you're not even top 50 paying him?

Advertisement
Have you read the thread? I never said we won't pay 3 mil for a coach. I said we won't pay 3 mil for a coach when he's first hired.

Our model has been, and likely will continue to be, that we hire folks at a moderate rate and pay them raises commensurate with performance. In Al's case, we hired him on at ~1.75 if memory serves, gave him a ~500k bump for handling the bad PR of the NCAA investigation.

We took the same approach with Shannon and with Coker before him. And with Davis and Erickson and Jimmy too.

Point being that only top-end schools with large donor bases can afford to fork over big cash right out of the gate. They can do so because the salaries they pay are often doled out not by the school but by donors. Most schools--particularly private schools--operate with the same model we do. We don't have the donor $$ to pay big money out of the gate. We have to start off moderately and hope that the wins come, so that people will show up to games and donate more money, which then will translate into a raise for the coach.

I know what you said, but times have changed. If we want to compete, we will. You said, and I quote, "with what money." That's what I responded to. We have the money.

Times have changed since when?

Very few, if any, programs are going to pay 3-4 mil for a new hire, and those that do won't be private schools. As noted earlier, USC hired Sark at 2.75...just a half mil more than we're paying Golden now. They're the only private school I know of who's reaching that kinda pay for a new hire, and they have a donor base that's at least 10X the size of UM's so they have the money to do it.

We're not in a position to do that.

I miss negging the puck out of the logically backwards posts you seem to have such a natural gift at composing.

yeah, I figured that'd bother you. You never were one much for logical conversation...you prefer just to neg and live in idioocy.

reported.

Hire Butch for peanuts, he will not leave again I bet, get 10 yrs from him and a couple ships! Program will be a hot job again, and we can go back to a stepping stone job to NFL for up and coming coaches that wanna try pro ball. Meaning you don't have to pay top dollar, because everyone knows they don't plan on staying. Admittedly, my favorite times as a Cane fan was Howard, Jimmy, Dennis and Butch..... Hated losing my coaches every few years (except Dennis maybe) but give a left ******** to have that problem again.

PS: I'll also work for less than Puppet boy (James) if we are fortunate enough to see him canned soon.

Last edited:
The tv deals have become more lucrative since we last won the national championship , if the team becomes relevant again the attendance, merchandising etc should more than cover a competitive pay raise .perhaps more incentive from ex players to donate.

Last edited:
honestly, they have done a horrible job of raising money for athletics, yea they raised 2.8 billion but that was for other projects and such, they need to focus on athletics, for years they just sat back and just let things play out and they could do it because there really wasnt the whole glits and glamour in college athletics as it is now, most colleges where the same, now its different, its a arms race, we need to pump more money into the program, they need to go all out for athletics, if they can raise 2.8 billion for other projects they can definately raise money for the U, i get the boosters arent like bamas and texas and etc but come on you can raise enough money for a head coach they did it for schnelly, its not like the money is sitting there because thats not how it works, they gotta go out and raise that money im hoping frenks does this

Advertisement
honestly, they have done a horrible job of raising money for athletics, yea they raised 2.8 billion but that was for other projects and such, they need to focus on athletics, for years they just sat back and just let things play out and they could do it because there really wasnt the whole glits and glamour in college athletics as it is now, most colleges where the same, now its different, its a arms race, we need to pump more money into the program, they need to go all out for athletics, if they can raise 2.8 billion for other projects they can definately raise money for the U, i get the boosters arent like bamas and texas and etc but come on you can raise enough money for a head coach they did it for schnelly, its not like the money is sitting there because thats not how it works, they gotta go out and raise that money im hoping frenks does this

"They" can only do so much when it comes to fundraising for athletics.

Problem is that we have a tiny alumni base, many of whom don't care about sports. They're more likely to give back to UM for the academic side of things, whatever department they graduated from.

Most die-hard UM fans are locals who don't have much money to give. That's the dilemma of being a small private school in a big city, where most of the residents went to school either at UF or FSU, or are transplants from the Northeast or Latin America.

Problem is that we have a tiny alumni base, many of whom don't care about sports. They're more likely to give back to UM for the academic side of things, whatever department they graduated from.

Most die-hard UM fans are locals who don't have much money to give. That's the dilemma of being a small private school in a big city, where most of the residents went to school either at UF or FSU, or are transplants from the Northeast or Latin America.

I agree that our alum isnt as high as most but "they" can raise the money if its former players, coaches etc, from what i have seen being around the program is that "they" left things how they were for years, as in lack of upgrades, not so risky hires, and no field upgrades, and in doing so we fell way behind, recently we have been doing so, the new center, field upgrades, possible indoor facility, all of these things we should have had years ago but now we are getting them even with mediocre play, we have less people donating and yet these things are popping up, if they can raise the money for those things they can raise it for a head coach

I agree that our alum isnt as high as most but "they" can raise the money if its former players, coaches etc, from what i have seen being around the program is that "they" left things how they were for years, as in lack of upgrades, not so risky hires, and no field upgrades, and in doing so we fell way behind, recently we have been doing so, the new center, field upgrades, possible indoor facility, all of these things we should have had years ago but now we are getting them even with mediocre play, we have less people donating and yet these things are popping up, if they can raise the money for those things they can raise it for a head coach

Do you think "they" don't regularly reach out to former players? Don't you think that at some point, it's on the players to put their money where their mouth is and give back? Or is it all the admin's fault?

Do you think "they" don't regularly reach out to former players? Don't you think that at some point, it's on the players to put their money where their mouth is and give back? Or is it all the admin's fault?

The fact that Gorlden & Dorito still work at UM as football corches tells you everything you need to know about the fault of our admins.

They give no pucks about the program or the players, current or former. Liberal c*nts.

Advertisement

The fact that Gorlden & Dorito still work at UM as football corches tells you everything you need to know about the fault of our admins.

They give no pucks about the program or the players, current or former. Liberal c*nts.

As usual, you steer clear of any logical discussion.

My point is they were able to raise millions for the new stuff they are getting the football program, wats a extra 2 million for a contract, i get where you are coming from with the SEC schools but the admin have been behind on athletics for awhile and were doing the samething for years

My point is they were able to raise millions for the new stuff they are getting the football program, wats a extra 2 million for a contract, i get where you are coming from with the SEC schools but the admin have been behind on athletics for awhile and were doing the samething for years

And my point is that at some point we've got to stop laying all the blame on the admin and turn the mirror on UM fans, alumni, ex-players and donors. The fans and potential donors know that UM needs money in order to stay in the top echelon. The ex-players already know that UM lacks top-notch facilities and doesn't pay coaches very well. You'd think that they'd be more willing to give back, because they've been through it and seen it all before.

SEC schools have HUGE donor bases that give TONS of money. As I've already posted in this thread, the donors at those schools actually pay for the coaches salaries. Aside from a handful of big-time donors, UM doesn't have that luxury--our fans either have very little money to give or don't want to give.

Yes, the admin could and should do more. But so should the fans and ex-players.

Last edited:

And my point is that at some point we've got to stop laying all the blame on the admin and turn the mirror on UM fans, alumni, ex-players and donors. The fans and potential donors know that UM needs money in order to stay in the top echelon. The ex-players already know that UM lacks top-notch facilities and doesn't pay coaches very well. You'd think that they'd be more willing to give back, because they've been through it and seen it all before.

SEC schools have HUGE donor bases that give TONS of money. As I've already posted in this thread, the donors at those schools actually pay for the coaches salaries. Aside from a handful of big-time donors, UM doesn't have that luxury--our fans either have very little money to give or don't want to give.

Well most of my family has stopped donating because of the on field performance and i know many more have done the same, vilma and campbell donated recently, i just found it odd that now they get all these upgrades eventhough their donations have been down

Advertisement
Respectfully ... Indiana University has a HUGE alumni and donor base. They don't have a very good football program.

There are other public universities that are the same ...

So, donor size is not the issue, IMO.

IMO ... It's about priority of the program and dedicating the appropriate resources.

Unless you are telling me UM is already operating the school at, or near, a deficit, then the money is there to increase spending on the football program. It probably means a lower amount goes into reserves. But it's doubtful an increase in football spending has a direct correlation on actual spending elsewhere.

And most of us believe the theory that espouses investing more into the football program means we will win more games, resulting in an actual increase in revenue for the university based on fan attendance and purchasing.

Now ... The increased revenue may not (likely won't) be a multiple of the additional investment. But so what? If it replaces what was used to make the program competitive on an elite level, again ... Then it serves the purpose intended, and the university is not in any worse position.

This shouldn't be a straight business proposition, IMO. It's not about direct ROI compared to the increased spending. It's about a subjective quantification of the value a winning football team has for the university, the community, the alumni, and the fan base.

If the admin determines a program capable of competing for national titles is important ... They will increase the spending and fundraising. If they don't, we may become Wake Forest.

It is not that simple. When Howard was trying to build his on-camous stadium, administration said he would have to raise the money from donations. He set out to do just that and got some rolling in. Then the smucks changed the rules on him and said all the money had to come form NEW DONORS, people who would have not given to Miami anyway. They theory being that if he took from existing donors it would just "rob" the school from money. That was they attitude -- I was one of his donors they said didn't count. Howard left shortly thereafter. I always have believed that was the real reason. The school is not poor in any way, but the administration has always been and remains greedy, self-centered, shortsighted and nearly blind from pride.

I'd bet money that if you tried to start a fund to support football program like other schools have, our beloved leaders would not allow it. They would promise to use it for that but insist on controlling it. You can then safely press that bet that they will steal the money for something else.

It is not that simple. When Howard was trying to build his on-camous stadium, administration said he would have to raise the money from donations. He set out to do just that and got some rolling in. Then the smucks changed the rules on him and said all the money had to come form NEW DONORS, people who would have not given to Miami anyway. They theory being that if he took from existing donors it would just "rob" the school from money. That was they attitude -- I was one of his donors they said didn't count. Howard left shortly thereafter. I always have believed that was the real reason. The school is not poor in any way, but the administration has always been and remains greedy, self-centered, shortsighted and nearly blind from pride.

I'd bet money that if you tried to start a fund to support football program like other schools have, our beloved leaders would not allow it. They would promise to use it for that but insist on controlling it. You can then safely press that bet that they will steal the money for something else.

You can't use logic on someone that doesn't understand logic.

You'd be better off arguing with a potted petunia than trying to have any type of normal conversation with LameHeel.

Advertisement

You can't use logic on someone that doesn't understand logic.

You'd be better off arguing with a potted petunia than trying to have any type of normal conversation with LameHeel.

Reported.

isn't the adidas deal supposed to help with a lot of our athletic deficiencies?

Advertisement
Back