So, are we really gonna pay the going rate for an elite HC?

MIATL513

Freshman
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ntract-significantly-closes-pay-gap-on-saban/

The OSU just gave Urban a raise to match Saban and Harbaugh ...

So, that leads me to question how Miami will handle KEEPING the next elite HC will hire ... Assuming that's the goal for the program.

No doubt ... Finding the right guy to replace Golden is a definite priority. But the real question is, "Will we pay to keep him?" ...

I'm not interested in the "can we pay" debate ... This is a "will we pay" thread ...

Whether we pay a guy to leave his current Power 5 job to come to Miami, or hire the next "up and comer" from a mid-major ... If we ain't paying $5MM a season, he's likely gonna leave for a place that will. Then, we start all over ...

Why go that route? Playing "big boy" football means we'll be paying the "big money" to keep our coach, IMO.

So ... Based on that assumptive reality ... I'm guessing we hire an assistant or mid-major guy to replace Golden. Pay him more than his current school, and pay the new salary AFTER he wins.

I really don't think Miami will pay a big salary to get a coach from another Power 5 job. Because doing so means we're paying $5MM BEFORE he's won anything at Miami.

Thoughts???

Advertisement
golden has taken this program down the ****ttter and this administration hasn't fired him because they don't want to pay the buyout and you expect them to pay top dollar for an elite coach?

based upon our history, i believe the short answer to this question is no. however, being that this is not the 80's or early 90's anymore...we're going to have to pony up to at least 3.5 million. the days of paying 2-2.2m are over with, not if we want to return to elite status.

One thing to keep in mind: State schools like OSU, Bama, UF, etc depend largely on their athletic boosters and donors to fund their coaches' salaries.

Example: The state of FL caps state-funded coaches salaries at 250k, I believe. That means that FSU and UF in particular pay their coaches the multimillion dollar contract by way of the Seminole Boosters and UF Athletic Association, respectively. Here's the write-up about Jimbo Fisher's new deal, by which he'll get 225k from the state of FL and the bulk of 3-4 million/yr from Seminole Boosters, Inc.

Since UM has a much smaller donor base, UM is left footing the bill for a much larger percentage of coaches' salaries. Which means that it's nearly impossible for us to keep up with the big boys, particularly when it comes to making an initial hire. It becomes easier to justify it when a coach wins over time (that is, it's easier to pay a coach 2 mil now and hope that he wins, which would then increase ticket sales and merchandise, which would then help to fund any raise) than it is when you're talking about forking over 4+mil right out of the gate for an initial salary.

Last edited:
Then there is NO CHANCE Miami ever returns to national title contention, if this position is accurate.

golden has taken this program down the ****ttter and this administration hasn't fired him because they don't want to pay the buyout and you expect them to pay top dollar for an elite coach?

Advertisement
One thing to keep in mind: State schools like OSU, Bama, UF, etc depend largely on their athletic boosters and donors to fund their coaches' salaries.

Example: The state of FL caps state-funded coaches salaries at 250k, I believe. That means that FSU and UF in particular pay their coaches the multi-million dollar contract by way of th Seminole Boosters and UF Athletic Association, respectively.

Since UM has a much smaller donor base, UM is left footing the bill for a much larger percentage of coaches' salaries. Which means that it's nearly impossible for us to keep up with the big boys, particularly when it comes to making an initial hire. It becomes easier to justify it when a coach wins over time (that is, it's easier to pay a coach 2 mil now and hope that he wins, which would then increase ticket sales and merchandise, which would then help to fund any raise) than it is when you're talking about forking over 4+mil right out of the gate for an initial salary.

Agree.

That's why I believe we'll be hiring another mid-major HC or a Power 5 Coordinator to replace Golden. But ultimately, they're gonna have to be ok paying $5MM to keep the guy who actually wins, IMO.

More so than an increase for a head coach, we really need to allocate more for coordinators and position coaches.

Realistically, I think UM needs to put an additional $1.5 - $2 million into its football coaching budgets.

If our athletic department starts structuring its coaching contracts like a competent agency, this is all doable.

The fact is some schools can and will pay more for coaches even for teams in the Power 5 Conferences. UM can and will pay a former head coach like a Butch, Schiano or Kiffin or an up and coming coordinator like Chud, Mario, Pep Hamilton or Auburn OC a very solid contract. Winning will provide the U a huge increase in sports revenue to increase the initial salary when time comes especially when combined with a football dedicated booster club contributions. Their ain't a coach in all America that doesn't know the Power Miami can become. Given the commitment already to better facilities, the abundance of talent and knowing fans will show up big time for the Canes if you win, the new coach and salary will be easier to meet than we think. Places like Bama, Texas and OSU will always be over the top, but our advantage is location, location, location. The money is here, Just Win Baby!

Advertisement
Ask Mr. Tomato if he will pay. He already hooks golden up with dough. He gave the OK with golden he'd be the one to penny up top dollar.

Then there is NO CHANCE Miami ever returns to national title contention, if this position is accurate.

The problem as I see it is not that UM isn't willing to fire golden because of the buyout, its that they consistently agree to coaching contracts that are poorly structured from a UM perspective. Again, I see this as a donna thing. She hired both Coker and Randy for $800K per year, then when she was comfortable that they good PR stewarts of the program, she gave away the store with a big salary increase and huge buyouts. She did the same thing with Pyrite but the buyout was on steroids. Why the **** did we give golden a ******* 10 year extension??? How often does a coach ever stay at one job for 10 years?

I always compare it to Louisville and Tom Jurich, who is widely considered to be among the best college AD's in the bidnizz. He has a policy of never agreeing to a buyout clause. His belief is that he must be able to terminate someone without penalty if they are not succeeding at their job. And look at his coaching hires at UL. Pretty legendary list IMO.

The problem as I see it is not that UM isn't willing to fire golden because of the buyout, its that they consistently agree to coaching contracts that are poorly structured from a UM perspective. Again, I see this as a donna thing. She hired both Coker and Randy for $800K per year, then when she was comfortable that they good PR stewarts of the program, she gave away the store with a big salary increase and huge buyouts. She did the same thing with Pyrite but the buyout was on steroids. Why the **** did we give golden a ******* 10 year extension??? How often does a coach ever stay at one job for 10 years?

I always compare it to Louisville and Tom Jurich, who is widely considered to be among the best college AD's in the bidnizz. He has a policy of never agreeing to a buyout clause. His belief is that he must be able to terminate someone without penalty if they are not succeeding at their job. And look at his coaching hires at UL. Pretty legendary list IMO.

Not too sure about that Jurich line. Looks like Petrino had a 10 mil buyout in the first year of his latest contract, declining to 5.5 mil by the last year of the contract. Though there is a "morality clause" in place, so Jurich can fire him at no cost if Petrino gets in another wreck with his side piece.

And Jurich signed Charlie Strong to a 7-yr extension after going 7-6 during the 2011 season, with a 2.5 mil buyout (they were Big East Co-champs, lost in a bowl to NCSU). Still a better deal for UL than Golden's contract, no doubt, but not that dissimilar to what we did with Shannon after we went 9-4 in 2009. Difference, of course, is that Strong panned out while Shannon didn't...so Jurich looks like a genius while UM looks stupid.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Example: The state of FL caps state-funded coaches salaries at 250k, I believe. That means that FSU and UF in particular pay their coaches the multimillion dollar contract by way of the Seminole Boosters and UF Athletic Association, respectively. Here's the write-up about Jimbo Fisher's new deal, by which he'll get 225k from the state of FL and the bulk of 3-4 million/yr from Seminole Boosters, Inc.

Exactly. We don't have anywhere near the money to keep up with what the larger schools pay their coaches. Saban's enormous salary is largely paid by boosters and donors. In addition, it was boosters and donors that paid off Saban's multi-million dollar mortgage as well, not the school. UM doesn't have the alumni base and number of booster and donors that the large state schools have. It's not about Miami being "cheap", it's about a completely different level of available funds.

Butch will work for Golden's salary and win. Then Miami can reward him with an appropriate contract, in which they failed him last time; causing his departure.

Advertisement
I disagree with the notion that UM cant pony up for a coach.The ESPN contract went up yet it still thrown out that we cant pay a coach. FSU wins title and gets to playoff the last 2 years yet they are still crying broke.The profit sharing from their success alone could have helped in a buyout alone.

Not too sure about that Jurich line. Looks like Petrino had a 10 mil buyout in the first year of his latest contract, declining to 5.5 mil by the last year of the contract. Though there is a "morality clause" in place, so Jurich can fire him at no cost if Petrino gets in another wreck with his side piece.

And Jurich signed Charlie Strong to a 7-yr extension after going 7-6 during the 2011 season, with a 2.5 mil buyout (they were Big East Co-champs, lost in a bowl to NCSU). Still a better deal for UL than Golden's contract, no doubt, but not that dissimilar to what we did with Shannon after we went 9-4 in 2009. Difference, of course, is that Strong panned out while Shannon didn't...so Jurich looks like a genius while UM looks stupid.

Good stuff, CIHC. I was working from memory of reading an interview with Tom Jurich several years ago. It was right after he had fired (I wanna say) Steve Kraigthorpe.

That link you posted does go a long way in showing how a top shelf AD structures a football contract though. I would love to see UM make their coaching contracts public. I'd be willing to bet the differences would be notable.

As a lifelong Canes fan, it sure seems to me that al golden's on-field performance in 2014 should be grounds enough to trigger a morality clause termination. :hunt_dog_lol:

been a cane fan for 60 yrs. do they not put anything in coaches contract if you lose so many games we dont have to pay full buyout if he is fired?

It's another strawman argument to throw out the 3 or 4 highest paid coaches and then shrug your soft shoulders and be like "Mmm we just don't have the same funds available. Mmmmkay I guess they're doing the best they can.".

Here's where some of you are so sadly wrong. The "elite" coaches you mention are college lifers. We've never had one of those - even when we were rolling. This job needs to be sold as your last stop before the NFL (Jesu Christo, Clappy reportedly even had NFL teams interested at one point). Get top tier guys with pro aspirations that'll give us 4-5 good years at a rate just below what the elite guys are getting and operate on that model. The second area where some of you give a pass is that we're maxed out at or near what we're giving Golden. I'm willing to bet that even Pitt is paying Narduzzi more than we pay Alfredo. There is absolutely no excuse that we can't be in the $4 mil per year range based on nothing more than the Adidas money and the ACC share. We are absolutely notoriously cheap no matter what some of the apologists would have you believe. Couple that with a complete disregard for the real cost/benefit potential of the program and you have a major component to why we've sucked for more than a decade.

Advertisement
Back