Snoozan's 8/27 Herald Article

dfagundo

Sawsed
UM expects Ohio State transfer Joe Burrow to be LSU QB. Canes’ backup QB race ‘tight’

Key takeaways

• Cade & Nkosi in tight race for #2
  • Bubba kicking them "out of the yard" on kickoffs
  • Richt expects Burrow to start
    • Says he's a mobile guy; expecting play action and designed QB runs
  • Richt said they've been looking at LSU spring game tape to get an idea for where they line up
    • Knows there will be some wrinkles obviously
  • Watching tape of what coordinator has done in past since they haven't announced starting QB
  • Rosier has improved in timing and progression on deep balls
  • Said this is critical because we need to connect on these in order to avoid loaded fronts and man coverage (referred to Pitt game)
  • Rosier's confidence is up, and teammates confidence in him as well
  • Captains for LSU: Rosier, Gauthier, Shaq, Jaquan
  • Says Jarren is making a lot of progress but isn't ready to play yet; says that once his time comes "it is going to be special"
  • Dallas in the 220 range up from 195 last year
  • Choc Gray continues to impress, solidified RB3
  • Says Greg Rousseau "is a freshman but seems like he's been here for 2 years"
  • Nesta has a lot to learn but "is a big, physical guy"
  • Says Lo should be a force "once he figures it all out"
  • Reiterated that snap, hold, and kicking of Bubba have all been on point and in sync
  • We will be rotating DT's
  • Says he doesn't want to get caught up looking at the video board too often in Jerry's world because he'll get roasted; first time going to stadium

Advertisement
UM expects Ohio State transfer Joe Burrow to be LSU QB. Canes’ backup QB race ‘tight’

Key takeaways

• Richt said they've been looking at LSU spring game tape to get an idea for where they line up
  • Watching tape of what coordinator has done in past since they haven't announced starting QB
  • Said this is critical because we need to connect on these in order to avoid loaded fronts and man coverage (referred to Pitt game)
  • Says Jarren is making a lot of progress but isn't ready to play yet; says that once his time comes "it is going to be special"
  • Reiterated that snap, hold, and kicking of Bubba have all been on point and in sync
  • Says he doesn't want to get caught up looking at the video board too often in Jerry's world because he'll get roasted; first time going to stadium
- love that both him and the team around him are confident
- you've got to be a seriously special talent to come in as a True Frosh. and learn a system and play at a very high level. We as fans need to be patient and then enjoy the ride when he becomes a truly elite QB
- absolutely love it. Dude is going to be a Freshman All-American

i love nesta but anyone who thinks hes coming into college football and dominating and bullying guys like he did in hs needs to have patience

Definitely agree. But, just to further inform this, Nesta was the 2nd name out of Richt's mouth when asked about freshmen who have impressed:

▪ Some of the true freshmen he mentioned who have impressed:
Defensive end Greg Rousseau -- “It feels like he’s been here two years but he’s a true freshman...’’
Defensive tackle Nesta “Jade’’ Silvera: “He’s got a lot to learn year yet but Jade is a really tough, physical guy.”

Advertisement
If Baxa is really booming kickoffs through the endzone, it will be a huge benefit. It seemed like Badgley was the only kicker in FBS who didn't consistently just line drive kickoffs through the end zone. Which was weird because he could hit 55 yard field goals easily.

Gray gets my respect for making legit moves up the RB depth chart. He could have transferred to a small school and probably gotten first team reps, especially after seeing the talent they've brought in at running back. Instead he stuck it out and forced the coaches' hands. It's refreshing to see in this day and age where players transfer at the first hint of adversity.

Key takeaways

This is an absolute lie. You can rewatch the compressed game on YouTube in about 30 minutes. They never once put any safeties down in the box. They were in two deep all game long and rotated between press Man on the edge and traditional cover 2 zone. Occasionally against 3 wide the safety would play man on the slot but he never leveraged the run.

They blitzed a linebacker about 8 times, 2 linebackers once, and a corner once. About half of these were run blitzes on 3rd and short situations. On a 3rd and 4 they blitzed and beat the pulling guard to drop Homer for 2 ending a drive, and on a 2nd and 3 they drop DeeJay Dallas for a loss of 5 to make it 3rd and 8.

On one blitz, all three linebackers showed blitz but two dropped into coverage. Navaughn was fooled so badly on that play he didn’t block anyone. They sent 5 guys and 2 got to Rosier untouched for a sack. A defender got by Donaldson on both sides after the play he was just standing there with his hands on his hips in utter confusion.

If anybody wants to know why I’m still in this thread arguing with these fools it’s because I’m tired of seeing lies like this spread everywhere. Nobody loaded the box to stop our run game. Pitt wore our *** out in the trenches with their front 4 and held us to 16 yards rushing from the tailback position. They played 2 deep coverage with either man or zone underneath to take away easy stuff and force Rosier to throw accurately into coverage.

We were 79th in rushing on the year. 115th if you take away Rosier’s contribution. And at one time we were 10-0 and ranked #2. Nobody loads the box to stop the 115th ranked rushing attack. They made adjustments to stop Rosier from beating them running with the zone read.

So we have Coach Richt telling us Pitt ran loaded fronts and man coverage but a CIS poster said "nobody loaded the box to stop our run game". I wonder who is correct? :monkey-serious:

Advertisement
Nesta is our best DT recruit since Big Vince. Doubt he has that kind of start, and also important to point out Vince had an extra year to get ready. Expecting big things, also think Ford gets tons of PT and is a difference maker.

Key takeaways

Awesome recap DFagundo.

What could help Nesta the most in his development is that the guys around him are freakishly gifted. Our DL is solid and knows how to attack. and get tackles for loss
That may open things up for him to come up the middle and really pound some guys.
Now, I am not expecting a Frosh All-American type of season from him but I am expecting him to be an important player in the rotation by the end of the season.

Advertisement
Team buses arriving on Sunday afternoon like...

ppphtqtr32rsbjbm0txk.jpg

• "Bubba kicking them "out of the yard" on kickoffs"
Probably should have left this part out. Now this is going to be the expectation. And when it doesn't happen, people will be calling for his head, even though he's a freshman and needs time to acclimate. A simple "He's doing a pretty good on kickoffs" would been enough to keep the locals happy. But hey, Richt knows what he's doing.

If Baxa is really booming kickoffs through the endzone, it will be a huge benefit. It seemed like Badgley was the only kicker in FBS who didn't consistently just line drive kickoffs through the end zone. Which was weird because he could hit 55 yard field goals easily.

Gray gets my respect for making legit moves up the RB depth chart. He could have transferred to a small school and probably gotten first team reps, especially after seeing the talent they've brought in at running back. Instead he stuck it out and forced the coaches' hands. It's refreshing to see in this day and age where players transfer at the first hint of adversity.
For the life of me I couldn’t understand how badgley short legged kick offs

Advertisement
For the life of me I couldn’t understand how badgley short legged kick offs

I bet he was trying to do the whole boom it high and land it near the goal line thing, to force the returner to make a decision and to give our kick team a chance to run down there and make a hit. He just wasn't very good at it.

Do t get why Badgley limo ****ed kickoffs either but he did it consistently enough that it hurt our special teams. But boy did Bags have a game last night kicking for the Colts. Maybe he just was focused on getting to the NFL that he lost sight of the season. Nesta I think is going to surprise teams who think us putting out a true frosh at DT is some sign of weakness. Both Silvera and Ford are going to become terrors on the DL by the end of the year, bet it. I also think if we’re talking freshmen that aside for the two-headed monster at TE, that both Pope and Hightower ball out for the offense and have good seasons.

i love nesta but anyone who thinks hes coming into college football and dominating and bullying guys like he did in hs needs to have patience

I can’t put it past him going against our schedule.

I think Nesta is going to show flashes of dominance against some teams on our schedule this season

Advertisement
Back