Smoke Me if You Must

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
But this QB thing seemingly so very uncertain - may be part of a grander plan.

Got an easy first game.

Should be an easy second game - and in neither one should we have to show what we got.

That third game - who is FSU going to prepare and practice for?

A pocket passer? A pocket passer who is big and can run when necessary? A strong-armed QB who can throw pretty good, and also take off running?

Or even a wildcard youngster who can throw, run, and throw on the run? Backwards?

We need to beat the Semiholes up one side, and down the other. This QB situation, if it remains unsettled going against FSU - could be a canny, good thing.

I recall FSU running two QB's. One had the hot hand - he played. Did it all year. Don't recall if Richt was OC then or not. But it certainly worked - as every QB has a "bad" game on occasion.

Advertisement
Start shireffs first two games and don't say anything and unexpectedly have perry start vs fsu. It would throw off their whole defensive scheme

While beating the Noles up one side and down the other would be awesome, we need to just win. No turnovers on offense and big plays by defense. Don't have to have a world beater at QB. But it would be great to see Perry leading the offense.

Perry is no doubt in my mind day 1 starter. These guys are below average to average. This kid was Richt's #1 target.

Advertisement
Perry is no doubt in my mind day 1 starter. These guys are below average to average. This kid was Richt's #1 target.

Advertisement

Got an easy first game.

Should be an easy second game - and in neither one should we have to show what we got.

A pocket passer? A pocket passer who is big and can run when necessary? A strong-armed QB who can throw pretty good, and also take off running?

Or even a wildcard youngster who can throw, run, and throw on the run? Backwards?

We need to beat the Semiholes up one side, and down the other. This QB situation, if it remains unsettled going against FSU - could be a canny, good thing.

I recall FSU running two QB's. One had the hot hand - he played. Did it all year. Don't recall if Richt was OC then or not. But it certainly worked - as every QB has a "bad" game on occasion.

Ground breaking analysis. Well done.

The team that wins the special teams battle and doesn't turn the ball over wins that game. FSU's defensive line is going to abuse us. We're not scoring a lot of points in that game no matter who the quarterback or what the game plan is. Nor should FSU as long as Young can keep up with Nyqwan Murray, who I believe is one of the best receivers in the country. Cook is gone. Our front seven will have Frenchie running for his life again, probably with a true freshman out there much of the game trying to pick up blocks. If we hit our field goals, cover our kicks and don't throw interceptions, we beat FSU.

Advertisement
Would love to beat them in Tally - however I think the more realistic view is to beat them in the ACC title game

I went back & looked up some of the more recent QB's to beat FSU...
(Excluding Mariota)

Justin Thomas for GTech had 88yds rushing in 2015 vs them.
Deshaun Watson had 107yds rushing vs FSU in 2015 & Greg Ward Jr had 67yds & 2TD's rushing in that Bowl game.

In 2016, Lamar Jackson had 146yds & 4TD's rushing...
Watson threw for 378yds & rushed for 52yds & Trubisky was **** near perfect going 31-38 for 405yds & 3TD's.

So, unless you have a QB that's going to be perfect, it's probably best to go with a guy who can run as well as throw considering that defense tends to struggle against Running QB's. Which by that standard bumps Rosier to the front of the line.

The thing that I've questioned is the notion of having a game manager QB specifically in a very important game like FSU.

To me the issue is, a Defense with the talent they have on the edge will salivate for a QB that doesn't challenge them down the field, you have open up the field against FSU & force them to respect the threat of being beat deep, otherwise they'll send heavy pressure and force the QB to make more than 2-5yd checkdowns.

Ultimately, it's still way too early to really get into it, we're still 4 months away from Fall camp lol
A lot will happen between now & then...

Neither team has gone through their first wave of injuries yet, so it's fairly impossible to predict how the game will go this early on.

Advertisement

Got an easy first game.

Ground breaking analysis. Well done.

Some are not listening to the words that came out of Rikk's mouth.

He said the QB situation may not be settled, and may not be until well into the season.

That may be for obvious reasons - gotta get them into a game and see how they trot - but it's also CAN be a tactical benefit - as FSU's prep may be more complicated than in recent memory.

Got an easy first game.

Sounds like a strategy rationalization Golden would deploy in lieu of figuring this **** out.

I went back & looked up some of the more recent QB's to beat FSU...
(Excluding Mariota)

Justin Thomas for GTech had 88yds rushing in 2015 vs them.
Deshaun Watson had 107yds rushing vs FSU in 2015 & Greg Ward Jr had 67yds & 2TD's rushing in that Bowl game.

In 2016, Lamar Jackson had 146yds & 4TD's rushing...
Watson threw for 378yds & rushed for 52yds & Trubisky was **** near perfect going 31-38 for 405yds & 3TD's.

So, unless you have a QB that's going to be perfect, it's probably best to go with a guy who can run as well as throw considering that defense tends to struggle against Running QB's. Which by that standard bumps Rosier to the front of the line.

The thing that I've questioned is the notion of having a game manager QB specifically in a very important game like FSU.

To me the issue is, a Defense with the talent they have on the edge will salivate for a QB that doesn't challenge them down the field, you have open up the field against FSU & force them to respect the threat of being beat deep, otherwise they'll send heavy pressure and force the QB to make more than 2-5yd checkdowns.

Ultimately, it's still way too early to really get into it, we're still 4 months away from Fall camp lol
A lot will happen between now & then...

Neither team has gone through their first wave of injuries yet, so it's fairly impossible to predict how the game will go this early on.
Good post City.
I have been and still going against the grain on this one, being in the very small minority who believe Rosier is our best chance THIS YEAR to win most of the games especially FSU game. Perry will have his chance to be elite next year after soaking up the playbook and gradually earring the needed experience and leadership skills. Give him a chance to be groomed like Crab Legs had at FSU and when he starts next year he should be lights out.

Advertisement
Back