Smoke Me if You Must

But this QB thing seemingly so very uncertain - may be part of a grander plan.

Got an easy first game.

Should be an easy second game - and in neither one should we have to show what we got.

That third game - who is FSU going to prepare and practice for?

A pocket passer? A pocket passer who is big and can run when necessary? A strong-armed QB who can throw pretty good, and also take off running?

Or even a wildcard youngster who can throw, run, and throw on the run? Backwards?

We need to beat the Semiholes up one side, and down the other. This QB situation, if it remains unsettled going against FSU - could be a canny, good thing.

I recall FSU running two QB's. One had the hot hand - he played. Did it all year. Don't recall if Richt was OC then or not. But it certainly worked - as every QB has a "bad" game on occasion.
Sounds like a strategy rationalization Golden would deploy in lieu of figuring this **** out.

Another damned pup.

I recall FSU when Bowden was trying to get things started - with the team going 4-29 the previous three years, suddenly go 10-2 with Jimmy Jordan and Wally Woodham equally splitting the QB duties.

For any dumbass that says it's impossible, or it's a really bad idea - you're fulla doo-doo. Not ideal to be sure - but it's not the end of the world either - especially when you know good and well that every quarterback has bad games - and another, or an easy shift to another, just may win a game or two that would have been lost.

I couldn't figure out why Rosier wasn't brought in a few games last year. Not like he was going to do any worse.

In fact, I recall we got our butts beat by ten points by their QB duo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I went back & looked up some of the more recent QB's to beat FSU...
(Excluding Mariota)

Justin Thomas for GTech had 88yds rushing in 2015 vs them.
Deshaun Watson had 107yds rushing vs FSU in 2015 & Greg Ward Jr had 67yds & 2TD's rushing in that Bowl game.

In 2016, Lamar Jackson had 146yds & 4TD's rushing...
Watson threw for 378yds & rushed for 52yds & Trubisky was **** near perfect going 31-38 for 405yds & 3TD's.

So, unless you have a QB that's going to be perfect, it's probably best to go with a guy who can run as well as throw considering that defense tends to struggle against Running QB's. Which by that standard bumps Rosier to the front of the line.

The thing that I've questioned is the notion of having a game manager QB specifically in a very important game like FSU.

To me the issue is, a Defense with the talent they have on the edge will salivate for a QB that doesn't challenge them down the field, you have open up the field against FSU & force them to respect the threat of being beat deep, otherwise they'll send heavy pressure and force the QB to make more than 2-5yd checkdowns.

Ultimately, it's still way too early to really get into it, we're still 4 months away from Fall camp lol
A lot will happen between now & then...

Neither team has gone through their first wave of injuries yet, so it's fairly impossible to predict how the game will go this early on.
Good post City.
I have been and still going against the grain on this one, being in the very small minority who believe Rosier is our best chance THIS YEAR to win most of the games especially FSU game. Perry will have his chance to be elite next year after soaking up the playbook and gradually earring the needed experience and leadership skills. Give him a chance to be groomed like Crab Legs had at FSU and when he starts next year he should be lights out.
To be honest, I'm not really sold on any of the QB's, Rosier, Shirreffs, Perry or Allison.

This wasn't an endorsement of Rosier, simply just looking at from the perspective of the type of QB's FSU struggles against.

I don't think any of them necessarily give us the best chance to "win now"...

The argument has been made that Rosier/Shirreffs could just be game managers & win us 10 games, I simply don't believe it yet.

Whoever Richt chooses, I'll be on board, but I legitimately am uncertain on all of'em.

(Excluding Mariota)

Deshaun Watson had 107yds rushing vs FSU in 2015 & Greg Ward Jr had 67yds & 2TD's rushing in that Bowl game.

Watson threw for 378yds & rushed for 52yds & Trubisky was **** near perfect going 31-38 for 405yds & 3TD's.

So, unless you have a QB that's going to be perfect, it's probably best to go with a guy who can run as well as throw considering that defense tends to struggle against Running QB's. Which by that standard bumps Rosier to the front of the line.

The thing that I've questioned is the notion of having a game manager QB specifically in a very important game like FSU.

To me the issue is, a Defense with the talent they have on the edge will salivate for a QB that doesn't challenge them down the field, you have open up the field against FSU & force them to respect the threat of being beat deep, otherwise they'll send heavy pressure and force the QB to make more than 2-5yd checkdowns.

Ultimately, it's still way too early to really get into it, we're still 4 months away from Fall camp lol

Neither team has gone through their first wave of injuries yet, so it's fairly impossible to predict how the game will go this early on.
Good post City.
I have been and still going against the grain on this one, being in the very small minority who believe Rosier is our best chance THIS YEAR to win most of the games especially FSU game. Perry will have his chance to be elite next year after soaking up the playbook and gradually earring the needed experience and leadership skills. Give him a chance to be groomed like Crab Legs had at FSU and when he starts next year he should be lights out.
To be honest, I'm not really sold on any of the QB's, Rosier, Shirreffs, Perry or Allison.

This wasn't an endorsement of Rosier, simply just looking at from the perspective of the type of QB's FSU struggles against.

The argument has been made that Rosier/Shirreffs could just be game managers & win us 10 games, I simply don't believe it yet.

Whoever Richt chooses, I'll be on board, but I legitimately am uncertain on all of'em.

Well, you have to choose one of them to lead us and honestly I can't see Perry to be ready to lead us and win. Unless Richt is willing to lose some games this year for brighter future. Which I don't see it happening.

(Excluding Mariota)

Good post City.

Well, you have to choose one of them to lead us and honestly I can't see Perry to be ready to lead us and win. Unless Richt is willing to lose some games this year for brighter future. Which I don't see it happening.
The bolded part; I feel the same about all the QB's...

NONE of them guarantee us 10 wins, none.

(Excluding Mariota)

Good post City.

The bolded part; I feel the same about all the QB's...

NONE of them guarantee us 10 wins, none.

I got Rosier and if he isn't perfect the first two games he will be on a short leash with potentially NKosi showing out in enough second half reps in those first two games to be a viable option. Either way Walton is going to be in the spotlight.

Advertisement
The season hasn't begun yet. And I'm already feeling deja vu about how Richt supposedly isn't going to open the playbook up until the FSU game.

(Excluding Mariota)

If the QBs don't distinguish themselves with accuracy & consistency throwing the ball, then I would go for the best runner, Malik. You could always run a heavier option offense (RPO and read) than has been traditional to Richt's scheme, to keep the defense honest, and then bootleg, move the pocket, or max protect in throwing situations like we did with Kaaya. The problem is you'd have to execute offensively to stay on schedule w/the chains, and the QB may take some punishment.

The current QBs have different strengths and I think that will dictate how Richt prepares for games. The first two are glorified scrimmages and the 3rd is when we would be able to "open the playbook".

That said, there's a lot of time until fall and more talent coming on both sides of the ball. I expect this to be a different team come fall for sure.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Perry comes in next month, I think he has a chance. 4 months plus 2 games before FSU is enough time for the kid to get ready physically and maybe mentally.

If he can run and escape the pocket as good as advertised, and also throw the deep ball (even if he doesn't throw it too often, at least it creates that threat), I think he'll get the job. Richt seems to be really high on him and he must know something we don't.

I was watching some of his highlights and remember thinking to myself "kaaya would have taken a sack in that play" at least 3 or 4 times. Can't wait till he gets here.

Advertisement
Back