Slightly OT: First Hurricanes and Dolphins game

TheU704

Recruit
Finally committing to make the trip down to hard rock for a weekend to go to a canes and dolphins game. A group of us are coming down from NC and have never been to Miami in general.
We are looking for recommendations of where to stay to ensure we are in a good location to have some fun, eat good food, and be close to the stadium for both games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Finally committing to make the trip down to hard rock for a weekend to go to a canes and dolphins game. A group of us are coming down from NC and have never been to Miami in general.
We are looking for recommendations of where to stay to ensure we are in a good location to have some fun, eat good food, and be close to the stadium for both games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Hard Rock Hotel would be a good choice for a first-time "wanna have the full experience" type of a visit. Five or six miles north of the stadium.

what kind of fun and what kind of food?

The problem is Hard Rock Stadium's location is nowhere near anything worth visiting. Depending on your budget, what you want to experience, what you do for fun, etc. you might be better off staying in Fort Lauderdale or as previously mentioned, at the Seminole Hard Rock hotel in Hollywood.

Advertisement
Stadium is about equidistant from Fort Lauderdale and city of Miami so depends on what kind of vibe youre looking for.

Fort Lauderdale has more relaxed environment during the day and good bar scene at night, while Miami obviously has a lit club scene.

Either way, agree with another poster to stay east for food and activities that aren’t at Hard Rock/Hard Rock Stadium.

Have an adventure. Stay within walking distance of the stadium and spend your money helping to revitalize the surrounding area.

what kind of fun and what kind of food?
We don’t discriminate against any kind of food or fun. Ideally we enjoy bars, sight seeing, food that’s unique to Miami/south Florida that we aren’t going to get to experience in NC.

Help us help you out. Who are you coming with? Friends that want to party or family? What kind of things do you want to do or are you interested in doing? You want cheap eats or fancier meals?

Advertisement
Help us help you out. Who are you coming with? Friends that want to party or family? What kind of things do you want to do or are you interested in doing? You want cheap eats or fancier meals?
Fair point.. coming down with 4-5 guys who all went to college together. We’re all 27-32 years old and not necessarily looking to take the cheapest route, but don’t need to break the bank completely.

so I’d say we would like to party a bit, eat and drink at places that make Miami the awesome city it is. Would like to see the special places of Miami/south Florida. Hope that helps a bit.

We don’t discriminate against any kind of food or fun. Ideally we enjoy bars, sight seeing, food that’s unique to Miami/south Florida that we aren’t going to get to experience in NC.
Stay in Miami.

Miami Hotel area recommendations:
Brickell
Downtown/Omni area
Mid Beach/Lincoln Road

stay away from south beach

Fair point.. coming down with 4-5 guys who all went to college together. We’re all 27-32 years old and not necessarily looking to take the cheapest route, but don’t need to break the bank completely.

so I’d say we would like to party a bit, eat and drink at places that make Miami the awesome city it is. Would like to see the special places of Miami/south Florida. Hope that helps a bit.
So, like poster above, I too would stay away from South Beach unless you're just dying to stay near the beach. There are lots of really nice hotels, but pricey; also plenty of pretty terrible AirBNBs. That said, I would definitely make a trip down there at least for a few hours just to say you did it.

In terms of where to stay, I think you're primarily looking at the Gables (near Miracle Mile), the Grove, or Brickell. All of these spots will have plenty of restaurants and bars walking distance from where you are. Not sure what the rates are now (might be pricey), but I'd narrow it down that way. If you want to be near water, strike the Gables from your list. Brickell likely has the most high-end bars and spots but you'll pay.

You can do a day trip to the Everglades. It's a nice drive once you pass the Miccousoukees. Plenty of places offer the airboat rides.

I'd also do a day trip to the Design District. Lots of really cool shops, art galleries, restaurants, rooftop bars. Make it out to the Wynwood Walls.

As far as eats, I'll just give you my list in no order or by locale:
Eating House (hip heavily-Miami influenced gastropub in the Gables)
Michael's Genuine
MC Kitchen
Edge at Four Seasons in Brickell
River Oyster Bar
Ariete
Red (if you want an over-the-top steak spot)
KYU
Mignonette (if you want some oysters in a casual spot)
Stubborn Seed (best restaurant in Miami IMO but pricey)
Bachour (brunch is really good)
Lucali for pizza

As far as cheap eats, Palacio de los Jugos. There are lots of good restaurants in town. If you pick a spot, we can likely narrow down some choices nearby.

Advertisement
Ignore these guys, I don't think one of them has been to S Florida.

Medley, my man, Medley. That's all you need to know.

Stay At the Hard Rock Hotel....

You will be close enough to get a 2 for 2.

You can hit spots in fort lauderdale one night and do Miami the other night its centrally located.

mIGHT COULD WAKE UP AND GO TO Fort Lauderdale Beach in the morning....

Just remember to come on the board the week you come down so we can tell you whats up.

Ya got to hit a strip club or two...and the best ones are near the stadium or in broward county.

Advertisement
Get a nice AirBnB in Lauderdale east of Federal and Uber to the games. Let me know if you want any cocaine and/or Asian prostitutes.

Stay At the Hard Rock Hotel....

You will be close enough to get a 2 for 2.

You can hit spots in fort lauderdale one night and do Miami the other night its centrally located.

mIGHT COULD WAKE UP AND GO TO Fort Lauderdale Beach in the morning....

Just remember to come on the board the week you come down so we can tell you whats up.

Ya got to hit a strip club or two...and the best ones are near the stadium or in broward county.
Speaking of near the stadium, The Mint Lounge, all the rest pales in comparison.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Hard Rock Hotel would be a good choice for a first-time "wanna have the full experience" type of a visit. Five or six miles north of the stadium.

But then you have an annoying drive to the rest of Miami. I'd stay further south and just venture up to the stadium on game day.

OP I would stay in the Gables.

Couple minute (traffic permitted) Uber to Brickell, Coconut Grove and Little Havana. Wynwood a short distance once you're in Brickell. Walking distance to bars in Coral Gables.

Normally I'd say avoid south beach but since you haven't been I think it's kinda one of those things you should just go see for a bit and head out.

If you plan to go to Ft Lauderdale that changes things.

For the beach in Miami I'd go to the Hilton Bentley Miami South Beach hotel. It's by Nikki Beach but it's Hilton's private beach. You can go as a non guest and rent loungers and they have a hut on the beach to order food and drinks. Far away from the **** crowded part.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back