Slice Miami: Le Batard: Brad Kaaya is ‘not special’

Well if he is hurt, next man up. We can't have throws into the end zone that result in turnovers.

Advertisement
Is he elite? Nope.

Is he a good college QB? Yep.

Is this offense geared well to his abilities? Nope.
Agree with 1st and 3rd points, not so sure about 2nd...Sometimes he is good, sometimes bad. And mostly bad under pressure. Overall, average.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I dunno man. Look at the top 25 teams. I think Bard will compare favorably to a good percentage of them.

LeBatard's views on actual sports (when he takes a breather from race) = not special.

Sorry Bud but he's spot on; I've been on the Kaaya train since day 1. It's ****ing amazing what the guy did as a freshman but after saturday... even that boy out in UNC can carry a team. He couldn't pick apart one of the worst P5 defenses with horrible corner play.

First time I ever say something negative about BK but he just can't do it by himself like other college QBs can.

The QB that led his team to 3 points last saturday??

If he's has time to throw, I agree. But his pocket awareness, mobility, decision-making and accuracy, when under pressure, brings him way down for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
NFL scouts rate him as a first rounder. Who would have thought Dak Prescott would be tearing things up in the NFL.

Have to agree he's not much better than in freshman year. Decision making poorer than Dorsey and physical ability less than Morris. He's an average QB at best.

I dunno man. Look at the top 25 teams. I think Bard will compare favorably to a good percentage of them.

Maybe and maybe not. His good parts, he's good at. His bad parts, he's one of the worst we've ever had. I keep saying it, but his footwork, throwing on the run whatsoever, and his ability in the pocket to move whatsoever, limits what a coach can call. This, the entire playbook is limited. That's why I've never agreed that he's anywhere near a top pick or first rounder in the draft. Once real scouts vet him and he posts ridiculously low combine numbers, his stock will be in a freefall.

NFL scouts rate him as a first rounder. Who would have thought Dak Prescott would be tearing things up in the NFL.

They haven't really done a film study on him and most of the NFL talk has come from websites without real scouts. See above post.

Advertisement
"Ripe off a disappointing 20-19 loss to a very mediocre Florida State Seminoles squad, and Dan Le Batard is not impressed with Brad Kaaya.

That offensive line is not good and those skill position guys are not what we’ve come to expect from the University of Miami,” Le Batard said during the local hour of his radio show. “So he is playing in handcuffs that make it very hard to make a determination on how good he actually is but on Saturday I’m willing to declare, not special. Even with those as the dilutors on the front end and it matters, it absolutely matters, but not special ’cause that’s not a good FSU defense. It’s simply not.

Upon hearing Kaaya was playing with a shoulder injury, Le Batard did backtrack a bit, saying that info is “not irrelevant” and he made a couple of throws in that game he wasn’t used to seeing him make, throws that “somebody would make in a high school game.”

Injured or not, Kaaya didn’t look sharp, completing 19 of 32 passes for 214 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. Making things incredibly difficult for Miami’s junior quarterback was the weak protection up front and the lackluster rushing attack (2.2 yards per rush), but again, this Florida State defense gave up 37, 35, and 63 points the previous three weeks.

With North Carolina and Virginia Tech on deck, we’ll know plenty more about what Kaaya and the Hurricanes are made of in the coming weeks."

- I've thought about who's to blame for the offensive quandry...

NOline - obvious

Bard - merit to the argument. pretty darn good - but not elite for today's college game- solidly in that camp.

but really,

Rekt:
He knew coming into the job what he had for an OLine, had to see it wasn't good, despite Searls' best efforts and 4 games in - FAU...

He knew Bard was a pure pocket passer behind a garbage NOline, yet had him "open the playbook finally," lol,to a slew of RPOs and draws that were doomed as soon as they lined up...

21 ppg vs. GT
19 ppg vs. and abysmal and even more depleted in game FSU defense....

So, yeah LeRartd is web ***** provacateur with this, but he ain't wrong so far either.

I think Bard will be pretty good in the league if he doesn't go to Cleveland, but Rekt hasn't worked any sort of miracle through half the season and the one game that mattered more than any other in his first year.

What would you suggest Richt call with a crappy OL, no run game, and a statue at QB?

All of our successful pass plays this year (minus 2 deep balls against ASU) were on quick hitters. He's forced to play that way (RPO screen/bubble) due to the very thing you recognize is ****ty. OL and non-mobile QB.

So what should he call?

Dan has been saying since before the season began that he sees no difference between Stephen Morris and Brad Kaaya.

Kaaya is the best we have and I do believe he can get better.

With that said ,his running disability cannot be overstated. At every level , the QB needs to have the physical option of scrambling for 5-10 yards when the opportunity presents itself and unfortunately BK cannot do that.

If you cannot run then you must make up for it by having Brady type numbers which BK has so far failed to do.

If you take rushing yards and add them to the QB rating --BK is the 8th rated QB in the ACC--that is not special

Advertisement
Is he elite? Nope.

Is he a good college QB? Yep.

Is this offense geared well to his abilities? Nope.

He is a good college QB I always felt that way about a BK, but when plays breakdown he is average at best the red sea could part and he want move out of the pocket

Advertisement
Back