Sleeper team

@RVACane , @JD08 , or @IndayArtHauz

Can we just pin this thread to the top so no more posters can create a new thread on this same topic every f’ing season? Let’s just consolidate all the off-season “Miami picked as favorite in Coastal” , “Miami picked as dark horse in CFP”, “Miami picked as a sleeper team” and wrap them all up in a mega thread. I’m sure there’s 7 yrs worth of threads here on this.

T.I.A

Advertisement
I like Howard. He’s always supported Miami openly, but I can’t help but wonder how he feels about Miami luring Gattis away from his Alma Mata. . .

It's true. We go into that cowtown and win that one game then suddenly there is going to be a ton of talk about us as a potential CFP team. That's what they do. It will be fools gold though, we're not talented and deep enough yet to win week in and week out over the course of a 13 game schedule IMO. But I am looking forward to watching a real football program again, finally. Year 1.
We're definitely not talented and deep enough to win consistently with subpar coaching and uninspired players that are losing to teams they know we should be beating. I think the improved staff & overall momentum of the program is more than enough to overcome the regular losses to average teams.
We weren't far from a "good" season on paper last year by any means. We might also be underestimating how improved the roster is. I see more than enough to start winning 10+ games right off the bat.

Real coaching with the talent on hand ACC coastal should be expected. Running the table tho is a little much. That atm game gonna be tough.

Advertisement
On paper, only TAMU is a notably better team than UM.

That said, Desmond Howard lives in south Florida and gets exposed to the hype. I can see where he'd be overly optimistic about the Canes.

On paper, only TAMU is a notably better team than UM.

That said, Desmond Howard lives in south Florida and gets exposed to the hype. I can see where he'd be overly optimistic about the Canes.
I would say Clemson is a better team than Tamu.. A bad clemson season is still a 10 win season for them, a good season for tamu is 8&4..

Advertisement
We could beat A&M and Clemson... That'll be the only 2 games we're not favored for and you just never know the impact coaching can have on a roster.

We have a top 3 QB..oline play will be significantly improved and we're deep and talented at TE and RB.

On defense, the transfers and coaching will make a significant improvement over last year.

I think we'll have a better chance against A&M than Clemson but we could beat Clemson if they don't get their QB situation figured out.

I don't expect us to go undefeated either but it's not outlandish.
It's possible that scenario plays out. The thing is this is a complete overhaul from the mess left by the former mayor's son. New O, new D, along with new player/starters. I would be blown away with victories over A&M and Clemson but that is a tall order with everything brand new(and better from top to bottom). We'll see.

He would have been close in 2017. Just had to win at Pitt the last game of the season and I'd say we'd have had decent odds to get into the playoffs even with a loss to Clemson in the ACC Championship game.
But not with the blowout loss we had.

We're definitely not talented and deep enough to win consistently with subpar coaching and uninspired players that are losing to teams they know we should be beating. I think the improved staff & overall momentum of the program is more than enough to overcome the regular losses to average teams.
We weren't far from a "good" season on paper last year by any means. We might also be underestimating how improved the roster is. I see more than enough to start winning 10+ games right off the bat.
It's improved but still unbalanced. Too many holes to make a serious run. We just have to come out prepared and stop shooting ourselves in the foot all the time. That alone should get us to 9-10 wins.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Desmond’s great, but he literally says that Miami can run the table every other year.

Imo this is a 9-3/10-2 team. I don’t think we beat A&M or Clemson, but we should beat everyone else. As long as we have a good showing against A&M and Clemson, we’re well on schedule. Very possible to finish year 1 at 11-2. Would be stellar and something to build on. Even 10-3 would be a major stride.

Advertisement
We could beat A&M and Clemson... That'll be the only 2 games we're not favored for and you just never know the impact coaching can have on a roster.

We have a top 3 QB..oline play will be significantly improved and we're deep and talented at TE and RB.

On defense, the transfers and coaching will make a significant improvement over last year.

I think we'll have a better chance against A&M than Clemson but we could beat Clemson if they don't get their QB situation figured out.

I don't expect us to go undefeated either but it's not outlandish.
Clemson hasn’t lost a home game in six years. 34th straight wins.

Advertisement
Back