Since it does appear that we are stuck with Diaz one more season: what can he do to succeed in 2020?

Realistically? Nothing. He's already lost the team and a good portion of the fanbase. Not like it's a team that was dealing with a new system and staff from an experienced head coach. That isn't even mentioning the depth issues and glaring question marks on the roster.

Advertisement
So we are sitting with a lame duck coach and will eventually be fired for.....bad performance. But yet you're asking how Manny can succeed? Back away from the crack pipe my dude.

Imagine what the talent on our team would look like recruiting-wise, if we won 10 or more games in back to back seasons. I just want us to win, baby! It is amazing to behold the healing power of winning. When you're winning, a lot of ugly imperfections sort of evaporate from notice, because winning is so powerful.

I'd love to see it!

Advertisement
Agree with 95% of what OP mentioned. However, 4th and 17 was not a 3 man rush. It was actually 3 down linemen and 2 additional delayed blitzers. This was a lot of the problems with the D last year. Either rush 3 and put 8 back in coverage.....or if you are going to blitz, do it quickly. Delayed blitzes were not effective for the Canes last year at all.

Agree with 95% of what OP mentioned. However, 4th and 17 was not a 3 man rush. It was actually 3 down linemen and 2 additional delayed blitzers. This was a lot of the problems with the D last year. Either rush 3 and put 8 back in coverage.....or if you are going to blitz, do it quickly. Delayed blitzes were not effective for the Canes last year at all.
Yeah, the effect was essentially 3 man rush. And the thing that sucked was - the guy was wide open! THat's what got me most! We only had 3 guys putting pressure before the QB released the ball and the WR was wide open. It truly was unforgivable. Always put pressure!! If the guy is gonna be open anyway, at least get a pressure on the QB and you give yourself the possibility of something good happening.

Yeah, the effect was essentially 3 man rush. And the thing that sucked was - the guy was wide open! THat's what got me most! We only had 3 guys putting pressure before the QB released the ball and the WR was wide open. It truly was unforgivable. Always put pressure!! If the guy is gonna be open anyway, at least get a pressure on the QB and you give yourself the possibility of something good happening.
Sorry, by the time he threw the ball, there were 5 Canes engaged by the UNC offensive line and backs trying to get to the QB. The odds of the play not working if 8 are truly in coverage are much better than what happened with 6 in coverage.

If you are going to rush 5, send them from the line of scrimmage right at the snap instead of with a delay to try and get a quick throw. The use of delayed blitzes this year were all too frequent and often, not effective.

Our pace was too slow, need some no huddle. Diaz seems to lack that authoritarian ability required of the head coach. When someone doesn't practice or lacks effort they need to be disciplines regardless of who they are. I don't think any player on the squad respects him to the point they know the hammer will fall if they mess up when they should not. I don't mean making a simple mistake but letting the team down should not be tolerated, a little fear of the man in charge would earn him respect.

Also his talks with the press is as if he is thinking out loud and he says too much, needs to learn coach speak and be the one responsible for everything related to the team. NEVER throw anyone under the bus.

By the way, nice thread constructive except for the immature responders.

Advertisement
Let's get this out of the way: fire himself, drive off a cliff, pull his mask off and reveal that he is actually Terry Porter coming back to finish the job! Also, this assumes we don't get a COS (like Highsmith) with any power.

Actual football talk - what can he do to get to 10 wins this coming season? I think he's "probably" safe with 9 wins, but with 10 wins, there's no way in **** Flake or the BOT's fires him.

I'll start it out with these points:
  • Fully take over the D and make Blake his assistant essentially. Don't care if Blake retains the title and makes the same $$. We need Diaz to do the one thing he does well. Also realize that many teams have caught up to Manny's scheme, so provide more specific game schemes and don't wait until the half to make an adjustment. Every game, Venables has a "new scheme." Which is one of the reasons he is the best DC in the country. Despite what many have said on here to diminish any of Manny's accomplishments, he is one of the better DC's in the country, statistically speaking. Let him do that one thing he's good at and spend a fortune on the best OC available, which would NOT be Ponce.
  • Stop only rushing 3rd and longs and 4th and longs with 3 guys. Apply pressure in those situations. On the infamous 4th & 17, we sent 3 guys and the UNC WR was still wide open. In general, it feels like we went into a shell on these crucial plays that get the O off the field. We need to attack on those longer downs.
  • Hire a talented OC with actual and recent, successful playcalling, give him achievable numbers for each game, and then get out of his way. By numbers, I mean things like how many times did pass on 1st down. and how involved did we get our TE's, and how many pass rush negating plays did we call (slants, screens, draws, 3 step drops, rolling the pocket, etc.)?
  • Whoever takes over PK must be competent. Have no idea what happened to Bubba, but with all of Diaz's buffoonery, we still win at least 2 additional games minimum, if we have a kicker who mostly completes reasonably length kicks and XP's.
  • The portal needs to be big for us this year. We need to bring in no fewer than 2, and I wouldn't be opposed to as many as 4 OL transfers. Since we've done such a **** poor job of developing OL, we need some guys who have been trained properly, to come in and give us an average OL. With a good OC and an average OL, Manny should win no fewer than 9 games. Worry about the future of the OL with reaches like Zion, later. He needs to win NOW. Bring in enough competent guys to give our QB enough time to release the ball and enough holes so we can reintroduce our running game.
  • Bring in at least one more RB. We're gonna need it and you can't go into this season with 4 guys and two of whom have never taken a snap. With our bad luck regarding injuries (see TE's last year), we could quickly find ourselves in a position to start freshmen and pluck guys from other position groups to fill in as back up RB's. With Lingard gone, one more ought to do it and I'd be more interested with the transfer RB's blocking and catching than I would with his actual ball carrying.
  • Finally, be as ruthless with his own hirings as he was with Mark's. He says he's going to study all aspects of his team and make adjustments. If that's REALLY true, and if he is really committed to the Canes rebounding, then he will not be precious with his hirings, even though it exposes him as a newb (which everyone already knows at this point). Literally, every single coach and staff member needs to be able to answer one of these two questions in the affirmative, or they lose their jobs: 1. Am I the best at what I do in comparison to other personnel that UM can actually hire in my place? 2. If I'm not "the best" do I show enough growth and potential to be the best that UM can hire at my respective position? Anyone who cannot honestly answer one of those questions in the positive, whether they be a coordinator or the guy who sprays Lysol in the cleats after a game, Diaz needs to replace them.
All your points in your opening post are valid. The only problem is that I don't think there is any way that Manny wins 9 games next year, much less 10 games, because he has clearly established beyond all doubt that he does not know how to be an effective head coach. He doesn't know how to deal with the psychology of the different players and he is completely unable to fix problems when things go wrong during the season. He also has absolutely no ability to motivate his players, he is terrible at game planning, and refuses to do the things that he says he is going to do when speaking in interviews.

He is going to continue to let Baker run the defense, he is going to continue to rush 3 guys with maybe a 4th guy coming on a delay during 3rd and long downs, he is going to continue to have an inexperienced coach (Patke) run the special teams, and he will continue to play less talented player (Patchan and Burns) over more talented players (Rousseau and Lingard). He will also more than likely make the wrong OC hire because he does not know what he is doing. In other words, don't get your hopes up for next year so you don't get disappointed, because I would not be surprised if Temple beats us to start the season.

I hope Im wrong and he completely becomes a competent head coach over night, but I doubt it. He said in interviews we were going to have an aggressive offense (some games we wouldn't attempt a 20 yard pass down the field until the 3rd quarter) and an aggressive defense (as you indicated we rushed 3 guys on 3rd down routinely), he said Lingard may get some playing time at end of the season (didn't happen), he said we would be ready for the bowl game because it was important to end on a high note (we know that didn't happen and they were completely unmotivated for the bowl), so I just have no belief in him left.

First and foremost, he needs to learn from some nfl coaches. He has all summer to go see how they practice and coach. Dammm he can even go see peewee coaches for all I care.

Just learn something and make changes.

Go learn how to talk to your players, coaches, make adjustments, make decisions, evaluate.....something

Well, let’s see how GR15 and the youngsters develop next season. Perhaps I’m blaming Garvin’s lack of development, and weak DT play on Stroud and shouldn’t. I don’t think Stroud is leaving anyway. I tabbed him because I still believe games are won and lost in the trenches, OL vs DL.
Garvin had a poor season. Didn't play with any fire until the end of the season when he wanted some more film & stats that looked good. It's the job of the DL coach to get maximum performance out of his players.

Patchan started over GR15. Really? We were all pleading with them to play GR15 early in the season.

The DL play looked nothing like Hurricane ball in the first few games of the season. Maybe that was because they had placed a premium on containing Franks instead of getting upfield but the D really didn't play like a Miami D (ESPECIALLY THE DL) until Manny took the reins well into the season.

We all thought the combo of Garvin, GR15 & Hill would be wreaking havoc on opponents all season. We barely got to see that combo until halfway into the season. In simple terms, the DL play was passive. It was a huge disappointment relative to expectations. Great Miami Ds disrupt & get negative plays. Our DL didn't play that way for much of the season.

Stroud has a chance to turn things around. He needs to motivate his players better & fire them up to play like rabid dogs on game day. Let's see some old school nasty. If he can get Jaelan and GR15 to both play at an elite level, we could really have something next year as long as the DT play is solid.

Advertisement
The only way Manny succeeds is selling his soul.

J/k; but he needs to humble himself, and stop trying to be the smartest guy, b/c he’s literally not. He needs to become a coach & stop being on social media as much as kids. Stop w gimmicks; gimmick arrivals, gimmick trinkets, gimmick speeches, gimmick playbook. Understand that’s he’s a CEO & not one of the bros. Furthermore, Diaz has to hire a staff that will command respect and push him to being the best.

Unfortunately b/c of his personality, don’t think any of this happens b/c he’s going to prove he’s not the problem, all of us are.

Let's get this out of the way: fire himself, drive off a cliff, pull his mask off and reveal that he is actually Terry Porter coming back to finish the job! Also, this assumes we don't get a COS (like Highsmith) with any power.

Actual football talk - what can he do to get to 10 wins this coming season? I think he's "probably" safe with 9 wins, but with 10 wins, there's no way in **** Flake or the BOT's fires him.

• Fully take over the D and make Blake his assistant essentially. Don't care if Blake retains the title and makes the same $$. We need Diaz to do the one thing he does well. Also realize that many teams have caught up to Manny's scheme, so provide more specific game schemes and don't wait until the half to make an adjustment. Every game, Venables has a "new scheme." Which is one of the reasons he is the best DC in the country. Despite what many have said on here to diminish any of Manny's accomplishments, he is one of the better DC's in the country, statistically speaking. Let him do that one thing he's good at and spend a fortune on the best OC available, which would NOT be Ponce.
  • Stop only rushing 3rd and longs and 4th and longs with 3 guys. Apply pressure in those situations. On the infamous 4th & 17, we sent 3 guys and the UNC WR was still wide open. In general, it feels like we went into a shell on these crucial plays that get the O off the field. We need to attack on those longer downs.
  • Hire a talented OC with actual and recent, successful playcalling, give him achievable numbers for each game, and then get out of his way. By numbers, I mean things like how many times did pass on 1st down. and how involved did we get our TE's, and how many pass rush negating plays did we call (slants, screens, draws, 3 step drops, rolling the pocket, etc.)?
  • Whoever takes over PK must be competent. Have no idea what happened to Bubba, but with all of Diaz's buffoonery, we still win at least 2 additional games minimum, if we have a kicker who mostly completes reasonably length kicks and XP's.
  • The portal needs to be big for us this year. We need to bring in no fewer than 2, and I wouldn't be opposed to as many as 4 OL transfers. Since we've done such a **** poor job of developing OL, we need some guys who have been trained properly, to come in and give us an average OL. With a good OC and an average OL, Manny should win no fewer than 9 games. Worry about the future of the OL with reaches like Zion, later. He needs to win NOW. Bring in enough competent guys to give our QB enough time to release the ball and enough holes so we can reintroduce our running game.
  • Bring in at least one more RB. We're gonna need it and you can't go into this season with 4 guys and two of whom have never taken a snap. With our bad luck regarding injuries (see TE's last year), we could quickly find ourselves in a position to start freshmen and pluck guys from other position groups to fill in as back up RB's. With Lingard gone, one more ought to do it and I'd be more interested with the transfer RB's blocking and catching than I would with his actual ball carrying.
  • Finally, be as ruthless with his own hirings as he was with Mark's. He says he's going to study all aspects of his team and make adjustments. If that's REALLY true, and if he is really committed to the Canes rebounding, then he will not be precious with his hirings, even though it exposes him as a newb (which everyone already knows at this point). Literally, every single coach and staff member needs to be able to answer one of these two questions in the affirmative, or they lose their jobs: 1. Am I the best at what I do in comparison to other personnel that UM can actually hire in my place? 2. If I'm not "the best" do I show enough growth and potential to be the best that UM can hire at my respective position? Anyone who cannot honestly answer one of those questions in the positive, whether they be a coordinator or the guy who sprays Lysol in the cleats after a game, Diaz needs to replace them.

Manny can bring her in. This would be considered a win in all phases across this board.

[twitter.com][579]EJnfHtFXkAAJvtx.jpg

[twitter.com][124]EJnfHrlWsAASt28.jpg

Advertisement
Waiting until 2021 to fire Manny is horrible planning. We could have someone like Mario Cristobal RIGHT NOW if we wanted to.

If we wait until 2021, who are we gonna get??

Here's the scenario: Nick Saban will retire, Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Clay Helton, Chip Kelly, etc are all on the hot seat.

So in 2021, Miami could potentially be competing with Alabama, Texas, Nebraska, Southern Cal, UCLA, etc for head coaches and, just as importantly, assistants.

And you know in that scenario, we get the scraps.

Whereas right now, the market would favor us.

Just fire him now and make the needed changes right away. Dragging it out is stupid.

The answer is easy....change the culture to where players, many times through fear, will run through a wall for their leader. I just dont see Manny as that authoritative figure where players feel they will be held accountable. The culture starts at the top, not from the assistant coaches. Look at Saben, many of his assistants are journeymen, but the team still flourishes because the players are in a cut throat environment which motivates them to play balls to the wall. Getting a new OC or other assistants is putting lipstick on a pig if the culture of the team is akin to a country club environment.

I’ll say it here , even though I want Manny to regroup and learn from the scoreboard this year .

But being a realest it compels me now.

“ YOUR A REFLECTION OF YOUR MANAGEMENT “

I want the past to be sump cost and learn from it for this staff this coming year if not.

HANGEM HIGH

1. Hire an OC who can get the team into the top 50 in most offensive categories

2. Get Borregales from FIU as a grad transfer

If both of those things happen, Miami wins the coastal rather easily next season. It’s honestly as simple as that.

Advertisement
Back