Since it does appear that we are stuck with Diaz one more season: what can he do to succeed in 2020?

Advertisement
We've got all 5 OL starters from last year plus 2 other OL who played. 2 of these were true freshman 2 others were red shirt freshmen. I don't think that the freshmen were nearly strong enough for ACC football. Next year all should be stronger and experienced. The communication issues will be resolved.

The QB situation seems dire but Jarren Williams was only a red shirt frosh and his numbers were better than Joe Burrows jr numbers. Not saying that he will become a Joe Burrows but from a paper standpoint 19tds to 7int's a 61% completion percentage along with a 145 rtg is not bad for a red shirt frosh. No intelligent reason at all to presume that he won't improve with time and a good coach.

Get a kicker that can make average kicks consistently. Would be nice to have a guy who can crank out 55 yarders but I'd settle for a guy who can kick a 45 yarder under game pressure right now.

Get a better wr coach. Our wr can't get open which tells me the scheme is wrong or they are poor route runners.

OC. On the way.

Don't use Mallory as a TE until he learns to block better. Use him situationally in the slot.

Get Brevin Jordan the ball a lot

Get back to running the ball. We've got big time talent in the back field

First impressive post here , it shows you have a FIRE burning for some old fashion Canes football a hunger that is way overdue.

At times I find myself thinking this desert time we’re is the PRICE for the 58 home game win streak record, NC titles WOW I can go on for hours.
Here’s one Jimmy Johnson way he sized up opponents.
He would take his starting teams list them an figure out if our starters could start on opposing team being played, Yep JJ always look for ways to win constantly.

Now why bring this up , well you said almost the same thing about our coaches, are they as good our able to out coach others a serious reckoning of there worth, very impressive my friend.

Your PASSION shines loud and clear 🙌
Thanks and same to you! Go Canes!!

Hire an innovative OC running a variation of the spread offense.
Replace Barry, Stubblefield, and Stroud.
Restore the pass rush to fundamentals. Quit the esoteric blitzes and zone converse by DEs. Less stunting.

Advertisement
Let's get this out of the way: fire himself, drive off a cliff, pull his mask off and reveal that he is actually Terry Porter coming back to finish the job! Also, this assumes we don't get a COS (like Highsmith) with any power.

Actual football talk - what can he do to get to 10 wins this coming season? I think he's "probably" safe with 9 wins, but with 10 wins, there's no way in **** Flake or the BOT's fires him.

I'll start it out with these points:
  • Fully take over the D and make Blake his assistant essentially. Don't care if Blake retains the title and makes the same $$. We need Diaz to do the one thing he does well. Also realize that many teams have caught up to Manny's scheme, so provide more specific game schemes and don't wait until the half to make an adjustment. Every game, Venables has a "new scheme." Which is one of the reasons he is the best DC in the country. Despite what many have said on here to diminish any of Manny's accomplishments, he is one of the better DC's in the country, statistically speaking. Let him do that one thing he's good at and spend a fortune on the best OC available, which would NOT be Ponce.
  • Stop only rushing 3rd and longs and 4th and longs with 3 guys. Apply pressure in those situations. On the infamous 4th & 17, we sent 3 guys and the UNC WR was still wide open. In general, it feels like we went into a shell on these crucial plays that get the O off the field. We need to attack on those longer downs.
  • Hire a talented OC with actual and recent, successful playcalling, give him achievable numbers for each game, and then get out of his way. By numbers, I mean things like how many times did pass on 1st down. and how involved did we get our TE's, and how many pass rush negating plays did we call (slants, screens, draws, 3 step drops, rolling the pocket, etc.)?
  • Whoever takes over PK must be competent. Have no idea what happened to Bubba, but with all of Diaz's buffoonery, we still win at least 2 additional games minimum, if we have a kicker who mostly completes reasonably length kicks and XP's.
  • The portal needs to be big for us this year. We need to bring in no fewer than 2, and I wouldn't be opposed to as many as 4 OL transfers. Since we've done such a **** poor job of developing OL, we need some guys who have been trained properly, to come in and give us an average OL. With a good OC and an average OL, Manny should win no fewer than 9 games. Worry about the future of the OL with reaches like Zion, later. He needs to win NOW. Bring in enough competent guys to give our QB enough time to release the ball and enough holes so we can reintroduce our running game.
  • Bring in at least one more RB. We're gonna need it and you can't go into this season with 4 guys and two of whom have never taken a snap. With our bad luck regarding injuries (see TE's last year), we could quickly find ourselves in a position to start freshmen and pluck guys from other position groups to fill in as back up RB's. With Lingard gone, one more ought to do it and I'd be more interested with the transfer RB's blocking and catching than I would with his actual ball carrying.
  • Finally, be as ruthless with his own hirings as he was with Mark's. He says he's going to study all aspects of his team and make adjustments. If that's REALLY true, and if he is really committed to the Canes rebounding, then he will not be precious with his hirings, even though it exposes him as a newb (which everyone already knows at this point). Literally, every single coach and staff member needs to be able to answer one of these two questions in the affirmative, or they lose their jobs: 1. Am I the best at what I do in comparison to other personnel that UM can actually hire in my place? 2. If I'm not "the best" do I show enough growth and potential to be the best that UM can hire at my respective position? Anyone who cannot honestly answer one of those questions in the positive, whether they be a coordinator or the guy who sprays Lysol in the cleats after a game, Diaz needs to replace them.
I agree with all of your points with exception to maybe bringing in another RB. One thing you left off that I think is extremely important is professional development for him and his staff. He should seek out dang Belichick or somebody that can help him develop as a coach. He needs to humble himself and go get some help. Next, he needs to take what he's learned and develop an identity for this team, offensively and defensively. It has no identity. Defense was there before he left that side of the ball. Offense hasn't had it in forever. What da heck do we want to be known for and master that persona to the fullest. He does that, I can see us going 8-4 next year with the possibility of winning a couple more here and there if EVERYTHING falls into place...

At the end of the day, I don't know Manny, nor do I have anything against him personally, so if he somehow wins us 10 games next season, I won't be disappointed, I'll be delighted. I want us to win and it's so doable with some adjustments. Will he do that? So far, the evidence points against it, but I won't begin the season rooting against him. I'll be rooting hard against my own expectations and hope to eat the most delicious crow I've ever tasted. If he fixes the O, there's no real reason we shouldn't win the Coastal.

Hire an innovative OC running a variation of the spread offense.
Replace Barry, Stubblefield, and Stroud.
Restore the pass rush to fundamentals. Quit the esoteric blitzes and zone converse by DEs. Less stunting.

Why replace Stroud? Just curious. Generally speaking the DL wasnt the issue.

Rosseau got 16 sacks and he did it all replacing his 2 interior DTs.

The guy had Mario Williams, John McCargo and Manny Lawson all drafted first round and they had #1 defense in country.

He was head S&C coach for 3 years at FSU.

He was head S&C coach for Auburn when they went undefeated in 93.

So just curious why people dont like him.

Also, it'd probably be good if the offense could learn to go no-huddle. I thought every college team knew how to do this and it was fairly fundamental but after watching the 2019 Miami offense, I have doubts.

Advertisement
1) read Ray Dalio’s Book Principles.

And apply this to his coaching: “Almost nothing can stop you from succeeding if you have a) flexibility and b) self accountability.

Manny must HUMBLE HIMSELF. And realize there is more shame in losing to FIU than asking for help.

He needs to do a 180. Forget what he thinks is right and adapt.

He’s need to value winning and winning results more than being right and more than worrying about proving his way is the best and he knows everything.

He need major staff overhaul.
A major commitment to recruiting. With support staffers who focus solely on that.

He needs to embrace the potential idea of having a super talented football mind like Zo around who can only help him succeed here as a major asset that other coaches in CFB don’t have. If Manny is going to fail he’ll be fired with or without Zo. Might as well get the help.

And he needs to turn on the tape and be honest with himself and stop using stats as a crutch. If you watch our defense play vs the other top defenses you see two totally things. Which is why anytime we play a QB with a pulse and decent accuracy we get waxed. (If FIUs QB actually threw 3-4 more accurate easy passes we would have been blown out.)

Scheme wise I think that Oline and our skill players will benefit in a big way by from a spread scheme.

I think QB play will benefit as well. However he must commit to one guy and ride with him until the end.

He needs to be more flexible playing guys (Other than QB unless it gets really bad) when other guys aren’t performing at high level on game day.

Our defensive coaching room is too stale. It’s the same old same business as usual same voice same instruction for the last 4 years. You typically don’t see position coaching around that long. It’s time to go in a different direction with some combination of Banda, Patke, and Rumph.

Last edited:
He needs to figure out how to create a culture of discipline and accountability or he’ll finish with the same record or worse. He couldn’t do it in the off-season, couldn’t do it after the bye week and couldn’t do it in between the end of the season and the bowl game so it’s not looking good.

Advertisement
Why replace Stroud? Just curious. Generally speaking the DL wasnt the issue.

Rosseau got 16 sacks and he did it all replacing his 2 interior DTs.

The guy had Mario Williams, John McCargo and Manny Lawson all drafted first round and they had #1 defense in country.

He was head S&C coach for 3 years at FSU.

He was head S&C coach for Auburn when they went undefeated in 93.

So just curious why people dont like him.
Well, let’s see how GR15 and the youngsters develop next season. Perhaps I’m blaming Garvin’s lack of development, and weak DT play on Stroud and shouldn’t. I don’t think Stroud is leaving anyway. I tabbed him because I still believe games are won and lost in the trenches, OL vs DL.

Let's get this out of the way: fire himself, drive off a cliff, pull his mask off and reveal that he is actually Terry Porter coming back to finish the job! Also, this assumes we don't get a COS (like Highsmith) with any power.

Actual football talk - what can he do to get to 10 wins this coming season? I think he's "probably" safe with 9 wins, but with 10 wins, there's no way in **** Flake or the BOT's fires him.

I'll start it out with these points:
  • Fully take over the D and make Blake his assistant essentially. Don't care if Blake retains the title and makes the same $$. We need Diaz to do the one thing he does well. Also realize that many teams have caught up to Manny's scheme, so provide more specific game schemes and don't wait until the half to make an adjustment. Every game, Venables has a "new scheme." Which is one of the reasons he is the best DC in the country. Despite what many have said on here to diminish any of Manny's accomplishments, he is one of the better DC's in the country, statistically speaking. Let him do that one thing he's good at and spend a fortune on the best OC available, which would NOT be Ponce.
  • Stop only rushing 3rd and longs and 4th and longs with 3 guys. Apply pressure in those situations. On the infamous 4th & 17, we sent 3 guys and the UNC WR was still wide open. In general, it feels like we went into a shell on these crucial plays that get the O off the field. We need to attack on those longer downs.
  • Hire a talented OC with actual and recent, successful playcalling, give him achievable numbers for each game, and then get out of his way. By numbers, I mean things like how many times did pass on 1st down. and how involved did we get our TE's, and how many pass rush negating plays did we call (slants, screens, draws, 3 step drops, rolling the pocket, etc.)?
  • Whoever takes over PK must be competent. Have no idea what happened to Bubba, but with all of Diaz's buffoonery, we still win at least 2 additional games minimum, if we have a kicker who mostly completes reasonably length kicks and XP's.
  • The portal needs to be big for us this year. We need to bring in no fewer than 2, and I wouldn't be opposed to as many as 4 OL transfers. Since we've done such a **** poor job of developing OL, we need some guys who have been trained properly, to come in and give us an average OL. With a good OC and an average OL, Manny should win no fewer than 9 games. Worry about the future of the OL with reaches like Zion, later. He needs to win NOW. Bring in enough competent guys to give our QB enough time to release the ball and enough holes so we can reintroduce our running game.
  • Bring in at least one more RB. We're gonna need it and you can't go into this season with 4 guys and two of whom have never taken a snap. With our bad luck regarding injuries (see TE's last year), we could quickly find ourselves in a position to start freshmen and pluck guys from other position groups to fill in as back up RB's. With Lingard gone, one more ought to do it and I'd be more interested with the transfer RB's blocking and catching than I would with his actual ball carrying.
  • Finally, be as ruthless with his own hirings as he was with Mark's. He says he's going to study all aspects of his team and make adjustments. If that's REALLY true, and if he is really committed to the Canes rebounding, then he will not be precious with his hirings, even though it exposes him as a newb (which everyone already knows at this point). Literally, every single coach and staff member needs to be able to answer one of these two questions in the affirmative, or they lose their jobs: 1. Am I the best at what I do in comparison to other personnel that UM can actually hire in my place? 2. If I'm not "the best" do I show enough growth and potential to be the best that UM can hire at my respective position? Anyone who cannot honestly answer one of those questions in the positive, whether they be a coordinator or the guy who sprays Lysol in the cleats after a game, Diaz needs to replace them.

Lets be real. Do you want him to succeed?

Advertisement
Lets be real. Do you want him to succeed?
I do. I HIGHLY doubt he will succeed, but of course, I want Manny to succeed. My druthers would be to empty the bank and bring Mario back to the U. Since that's not happening, I want Manny to surprise us all and succeed. I've got nothing against the man, I just want to see us winning 10 games, recruiting well, playing competitively and working our way toward the playoffs. It will almost certainly not be Manny, but I want to be wrong.

Make the million dollar OC hire, and finish 8-4 next season. With an added bonus of winning the bowl game. Then maybe the recruits will come to Thee Gables.

Well, when we are down 14-0 after 1Q against Temple...ohh this was supposed to be a job saving thread. Oopps.
If we lose that first game than prepare for the worst. If Manny doesn’t pull his head out of his *** than he could potentially set this program back to the mid 70’s.

Advertisement
Back