Signing Day Strategy?

ericane

Recruit
With so many of our targets looking to announce on NSD, it got me thinking whether or not this is part of Richt's recruiting strategy. It seems eerily reminiscent of what FSU would do back in the day under Bowden. They'd be in the hunt for a number of prospects with a relatively mediocre class leading into NSD and then all of a sudden there would be an influx of "wins" on NSD that would propel them up the rankings and generate buzz. Could this perhaps be what Richt is doing, and thus all of the "chess not checkers" comments lately?

Maybe it's just a sign that we're aiming for a number of high-profile (and high-ego) recruits, but it seems odd to me that we're in desperate need of WR's, DB's, and OL, and yet we're willing to let all of this ride up until NSD without any obvious backup plans. It doesn't seem like a prudent strategy unless Richt is confident that we'll land most of these folks.

Advertisement
That would be nice. Just last year fsu and Texas had a tremendous close the last few days leading up to and on signing day

From the little that we know, what you said is valid in that there are a lot of targets out there that the staff feels good about...

Likely we get McFarland on the 25th

We are getting at least 1-2 of the Pouncy, Thomas, Harley, Smith combo

We might end up with one more OL out of Herbert or Bateman

And at DB, who knows what happens with Edwards, Henderson, etc...

Bottom line is it's likely we have 4-5 very solid pick ups coming on NSD, that will mold the class... just 2 more weeks!!

That would be nice, apart from Stacey Coley and Tracy Howard I can't think of any NSD wins in the last 5 years.

Advertisement
We have to win before we can get that momentum. Unfortunately I believe, what we see is what we're getting. I think we get two of the five who are still up in the air this year.
We win next year and we keep and win the battles with the top tier talents.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yea...it almost seems as though these kids are being told to hold off on committing until a later point in time. For instance, if we're to believe the hype around Pouncey and Dean, you would think they'd be committing any second. Instead, we get these wishy washy comments after their visits and they're holding off until NSD.

If you assume that they are still "locks", it almost seems as though this is pre-meditated. If it works, it'd be a great way to make these other schools think twice about coming down here to poach recruits, as they will have wasted their efforts/resources all the way up through NSD. On the other hand, if these reports are over-optimistic, then we're going to be left holding the bag and everyone will be wishing for the days when we at least had the "Golden backups" ready to jump on board.

I guess time will tell, but this NSD seems to have more riding on it than we have in a VERY long time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
From the little that we know, what you said is valid in that there are a lot of targets out there that the staff feels good about...

Likely we get McFarland on the 25th

We are getting at least 1-2 of the Pouncy, Thomas, Harley, Smith combo

We might end up with one more OL out of Herbert or Bateman

And at DB, who knows what happens with Edwards, Henderson, etc...

Bottom line is it's likely we have 4-5 very solid pick ups coming on NSD, that will mold the class... just 2 more weeks!!

This is maybe the most sensible post I've seen in weeks.

Hopefully, but I'm not getting my hopes up these SOFL divas are impossible to read. It appears the closer we get to signing day the more our targets seem to dwindle

Advertisement
Back