Signing Day Strategy?

I really don't see the benefit in having a bunch of commits wait till NSD. Way more risk than reward. There will be virtually no "national" press whether or not we finish strong and have a # 8 class or finish weak with a #15 class. How many people actually follow UM recruiting closely 5-10k max?

Advertisement
With so many of our targets looking to announce on NSD, it got me thinking whether or not this is part of Richt's recruiting strategy. It seems eerily reminiscent of what FSU would do back in the day under Bowden. They'd be in the hunt for a number of prospects with a relatively mediocre class leading into NSD and then all of a sudden there would be an influx of "wins" on NSD that would propel them up the rankings and generate buzz. Could this perhaps be what Richt is doing, and thus all of the "chess not checkers" comments lately?

Which of the following scenarios benefits Richt more?

A: Richt tells high profile recruits to "hold off" on committing so he can get a little bit more publicity for himself on the day that recruiting for 2017 is over.

B: Richt tells high profile recruits who want to commit to do so publicly and do so immediately so he can go to a high profile undecided kid who's interested in UM and say, "Hey McFarland, did you see those two mauling OL commits we picked up to block for you?" "Hey Devonta we've got a hotshot four star RB recruit coming in so defenses are going to have to stack the box to slow him down. That single high safety won't be able to double team both you AND Ahmon Richards. Can any DB check you one on one? Exactly." "Yo Mike Harley, with Jordan Pouncey and Ahmon Richards on the outside you're going to get a thousand yards receiving from the slot easy."

And that's not even taking into account the kid who may not be sold on UM seeing all these big names coming in and thinking to himself, "They're stacking chips and are going to start winning big time again. I wanted to go somewhere I can win a bunch of ball games. Why do it in Tallahassee when I can do it in bleeping Miami?"

You SURE Mark Richt is more interested in making Tom Lemming's miniscule **** hard?

Well, if you have high kids at same positions, wouldn't it benefit us if they don't know who the other commits at those positions are?

Advertisement
Wishful thinking.

These kids have no memory of Miami as anything but a second tier program. The U doesn't mean to them what it means to us.

Advertisement
I think we get smith... He already committed to Richt once, and what's really changed since then? Richt went to a better program, in Miami!

I also think we get 2 from the Thomas, Harley, Pouncey combo. Our questionable depth chart and having Ahmmon do what he did last season has to be enticing... Plus he sent this tweet in excitement recently. For him to be so giddy it must be a WR.

https://twitter.com/AhmmonR2/status/821192857193218050

Last edited:
Well, if you have high kids at same positions, wouldn't it benefit us if they don't know who the other commits at those positions are?

Is this a serious question?

No it's another lame post by OP. Why would any coach tell a recruit to wait? Dumb remark!

real talk. Richt wants all his eggs in the basket so he stunt on some more recruits and take phone calls on the tread mill.

I can imagine a coach asking recruits to wait, but the thought that a coach would ask players to wait so they don't know about each other committing is a little silly to me. A coach doing that would just be asking for trouble and would not be trusted.

Advertisement
Back