SICK OF THE CYCLE....

Advertisement
image.jpg

Start with this guy and work from there. In all reality, while it's the person/people who thought this guy was qualified for this job who are the real problem, even if those people remain but are adequately "educated" that we need to hire a real, bona-fide top-level AD, and then stay out of his way, that would be good enough for now.

His cousin posts here and confirmed he wanted it when Richt retired. He supposedly already had the backing of some BOT members and it was all but done. Then Flake interviewed Shanny and caved to his ultimatum that he had to be hired before he got on the plane.
According to his cousin, he won't come now but who knows. He would/would've been better than Shanny.

He would be crazy to come now.

Best facilities in college football, more than enough booster "assistance" to put his recruiting prowess to use....neither of which he would have here.

UM is now a training ground for young coaches to move on to something better, or a decent paying gig after not getting it done at the highe$t level.

We may get Mario one day, but it will only be to continue as a head coach after getting Richted from Oregon or elsewhere.

Best facilities in college football, more than enough booster "assistance" to put his recruiting prowess to use....neither of which he would have here.

UM is now a training ground for young coaches to move on to something better, or a decent paying gig after not getting it done at the highe$t level.

We may get Mario one day, but it will only be to continue as a head coach after getting Richted from Oregon or elsewhere.
If they lose to Utah Saturday, and he finishes this season at 10-3, with all the talent he had and for the most part, a fairly watered down PAC, I would say his start at Oregon is a bit underwhelming.

Advertisement

I must have missed out. Last I checked, the last head coach that left Miami for "something better" was Butch. Since then, not a single one is employed in a better or even comparable position.

What that tells me is that we've got an issue with our evaluation and hiring practices. It seems pretty **** obvious, but yet we continue to have the same people do the hiring.

Your conclusion is correct, but the issue isn't money, or the program itself, it's the people and the objectives of those people who are responsible for the program.

****, man, I've said it a million times, but Clemson went through the exact same thing, right around the time we were giving up on being relevant. Their boosters and the school decided they'd had enough and "if you can't beat the SEC, join them". They decided to have a singular focus and mission of fielding a winning football team, they gathered and deployed the necessary resources, and over the course of a decade, they built a middle-of-nowhere, moderate sized land-grant university with no real tradition or recruiting territory advantages to speak of, into what is now one of the powerhouses of the sport. It's really not that hard, all it takes is a mission statement, and then executing every decision going forward based on that mission.

If they lose to Utah Saturday, and he finishes this season at 10-3, with all the talent he had and for the most part, a fairly watered down PAC, I would say his start at Oregon is a bit underwhelming.

Maybe.....but the same might be said for their ex-great at UCLA who would kill for 10-3....lol.

Bottom line, he goes 10-3, they aren't letting him go anywhere.

I'd sign up for 10-3.

If he does that for 3-4 years straight, and recruits the way he is, before you know it that team will be ready to go toe-to-toe with the big boys. That's the plan we need to execute.

Advertisement
1) HIRE NEW HC & COACHES

2) GIVE A 2 YEAR PASS FOR THE HC AND STAFF TO GIVE NEW COACHES RECRUITS TIME TO “GELL” AND SHARE TWITTER ACCOUNTS

3) BLOW SUNSHINE UP EVERYONES *** ABOUT THE PROGRAM IN THE OFF SEASON

4) FANS BUY IN “AGAIN” AND BEGIN TO NAME THEIR CHILDREN AFTER THEIR FAVORITE 4-5 STAR RECRUIT BECAUSE THEIR SISTERS COUSINS UNCLES AUNT SAID THEY WERE THE REAL DEAL

5) BUY SEASON TICKETS, CUSSIN’ THE CANES TICKET OFFICE FOR JACKIN’ UP THE PRICE OF TICKETS / PARKING PASSES MEANWHILE, FOAMING AT THE MOUTH IN ANTICIPATION OF OUR NEXT SEASON / NATIONAL TITLE

6) USE THE FIRST 3-4 CUPCAKE GAMES IN THE SEASON TO WORK OUT THE KINKS AND HOPEFULLY AVOID INJURIES

7) **** THE BED, LIFT THEIR SKIRT AND FIRE UP THE COACHES HOT SEAT DURING CONFERENCE PLAY

8) LOSE COMMITTED RECRUITS TO UG@G & F$U BECAUSE THE COACHING STAFF COULDN’T DEVELOP BULION SOUP WITH HOT WATER

9) FUEL THE SAME FU@KIN’ PLANES TO FLY THE SAME FU@KIN’ BANNERS 2 YEARS AGO

10) FIRE THE HC AND COACHING STAFF AND IN THE SAME BREATH, REHIRE A NEW HC & COACHING STAFF....

11) PULL THE PIN, SWALLOW A HAND GRENADE

RINSE AND REPEAT
Sounds about right!!!!

I must have missed out. Last I checked, the last head coach that left Miami for "something better" was Butch. Since then, not a single one is employed in a better or even comparable position.

What that tells me is that we've got an issue with our evaluation and hiring practices. It seems pretty **** obvious, but yet we continue to have the same people do the hiring.

Your conclusion is correct, but the issue isn't money, or the program itself, it's the people and the objectives of those people who are responsible for the program.

****, man, I've said it a million times, but Clemson went through the exact same thing, right around the time we were giving up on being relevant. Their boosters and the school decided they'd had enough and "if you can't beat the SEC, join them". They decided to have a singular focus and mission of fielding a winning football team, they gathered and deployed the necessary resources, and over the course of a decade, they built a middle-of-nowhere, moderate sized land-grant university with no real tradition or recruiting territory advantages to speak of, into what is now one of the powerhouses of the sport. It's really not that hard, all it takes is a mission statement, and then executing every decision going forward based on that mission.

Sorry, but it takes money whether you or I like that conclusion or not. I definitely hate it knowing the commitment, or lack thereof, the U makes.

The "people and the objectives of those people" need to be about spending money on recruiting, coaching and equipment.

Ten coaches are making north of $6 million. Clemson's Dabo Swinney leads the way with $9.32 million in total compensation for 2019-20.

For the first time, there is a league in which all of the coaches are making at least $3 million. It's the 14-school Southeastern Conference, in which the average total pay is $4.95 million. We are more on the Vandy bottom side of that with LESS coaching experience all around.

We were in the ballpark with Richt FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, who might have had the fire when he came, but lost it pretty quick when he realized

how important it was to have top notch ($$$$$) assistants and top notch ($$$$$$) TRENCHES.

My major point, great coaches and great coaching staffs cost money. If your not willing to pay top salaries across your coaching ranks, you relegated to up and comers, and those on their way back down.

All of that said, we should not still be playing the Randy Shannon / Manny Diaz zero head coaching experience game at this stage...

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd sign up for 10-3.

If he does that for 3-4 years straight, and recruits the way he is, before you know it that team will be ready to go toe-to-toe with the big boys. That's the plan we need to execute.

Oh yea, I would absolutely take 10-3, at the U, but Oregon was supposed to be a team to challenge for a NC this year, heck, they might be challenging just to stay in the top 25 by the end of bowl season.

Friend, I don't believe that for a second. The problem is we won't pay. Also, IMO there are many many better options. Funniest part is I don't even think Mario would come now.

Again. when this program has a large, loyal alumni group that writes fat checks—you get top notch coaches.

When you're a second-rate program and a private school with 11K undergrad—in a pro-sports town full of transplants—where most of your fans aren't alum and don't back the program financially, this is what you get.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face; Georgia just dumped $200M into their program—mostly through alumni-driven donations and funding, which are the reason they have a $13M annual budget for their coaches and a NCAA-highest $7M annual recruiting budget; all part of their "Do More" campaign to catch up with Alabama.

Stanford Stadium is packed to the gills six Saturdays every fall, while the entire city of Athens eats, breathes, lives and sleeps Bulldogs football.

Miami fans are doing GoFundMe campaigns to raise $495 to fly a banner weeks back, while another group is wearing people out to donate for a billboard—all while encouraging fans to stop doing to games at an already barely 2/3 full stadium on an average day.

You get what you pay for—and that's not in regards to a head coach or an athletic director, as much as it is a mostly non-alum fan base who doesn't support this program to a fraction of the football factories and national powers that our fans think Miami should be, simply because it was ahead of the curve three decades ago and did some magical things, due to a level of athleticism that other programs simply didn't possess back in they day.

Everyone has athletes now—and those programs with the most money are the ones that have a distinct advantage. A **** shame Miami doesn't have a Phil Knight, T. Boone Pickens or John Schattner as an alum, just throwing money at athletics because they want a football power. (Everyone b1tching about our left-leaning, liberal admin—y'all ever been to the state of Oregon? Didn't stop football from reigning supreme there as he with all the gold makes the rules.)

And as a result of all this, Miami is nowhere near the desirable job that our fans think it is. Hasn't been since Butch Davis pulled out of town two decades ago; the last in a short line of guys who parleyed the experience into quality NFL gigs and paydays.

No college town vibe, undying fan support, large student body—where football isn't just the biggest show in town, but it's the only show—not to mention deep-pocketed alumni who write checks.

Holy ****, Miami only FINALLY got an indoor practice facility when Mark Richt took over as head coach, worked behind the scenes to orchestrate and wrote a $1M check out of his own pocket.

Some of y'all need a serious reality check regarding what is, versus what you think is, or should be.

Sorry, but it takes money whether you or I like that conclusion or not. I definitely hate it knowing the commitment, or lack thereof, the U makes.

The "people and the objectives of those people" need to be about spending money on recruiting, coaching and equipment.

Ten coaches are making north of $6 million. Clemson's Dabo Swinney leads the way with $9.32 million in total compensation for 2019-20.

For the first time, there is a league in which all of the coaches are making at least $3 million. It's the 14-school Southeastern Conference, in which the average total pay is $4.95 million. We are more on the Vandy bottom side of that with LESS coaching experience all around.

We were in the ballpark with Richt FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, who might have had the fire when he came, but lost it pretty quick when he realized

how important it was to have top notch ($$$$$) assistants and top notch ($$$$$$) TRENCHES.

My major point, great coaches and great coaching staffs cost money. If your not willing to pay top salaries across your coaching ranks, you relegated to up and comers, and those on their way back down.

All of that said, we should not still be playing the Randy Shannon / Manny Diaz zero head coaching experience game at this stage...

Of course Dabo Swinney is making that money—as he has won two national titles over the past three years, played in the title game three times over the past four and has reached the playoffs four years in a row, looking for number five right now.

Before that, he was Clemson's wide receivers coach for six years—never even holding the title of offensive coordinator, or anything higher—and was a dreaded holdover from a failed staff; in this case, Tommy Bowden who never got over the hump. Swinney took over in an interim role in 2008, was officially named head coach in 2009—and the majority of their fan base was up in arms, saying he was garbage hire—wanting to run him off for half a decade.

Finally wins the ACC year 3.5—and gets boat-raced 70-33 by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl—only to have Brent Venables fall in his lap; which no one saw coming, under the assumption he was an Oklahoma lifer, or would take a head coaching gig. Instead, Swinney lands a better version of a loyal Bud Foster-type, who changed everything for him when coming on in 2012.

Clemson's co-offensive coordinators—Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott—were absolute nobodies before taking over in 2015. Elliott was the running backs coach for four years; coaching up wide outs at South Carolina State and Furman the five years prior—while Scott coached at Blythewood High School in 2006, before coaching Presbyterian's wide outs in 2007 and taking over Clemson's in 2008 for the next seven seasons, before getting the co-OC title in 2015 along with Elliott.

Clemson was a staff of UNPROVEN UNKNOWNS and has since grown into a powerhouse program on par with Alabama, if having not surpassed them—yet you use Swinney as your benchmark that that it takes top notch guys across the board to succeed. Meanwhile, Miami just forked over a reported $1.5M for the services of Dan Enos—quarterback whisperer and "the guy Nick Saban wanted to promote to offensive coordinator in 2019"—and dude has been an absolute flop; despite UM paying an offensive coordinator more than it ever had before.

Literally every UM head coach and offensive coordinator over the past 15 years was MORE QUALIFIED ON PAPER than Swinney, Elliott or Scott—by a landslide—yet look how all that worked out. (Even Randy Shannon was a proven defensive coordinator, a Broyles Award winner and ran a national championship defense—while being a proven recruiter and a guy who played for UM, won a title, et al—while Swinney was a wideouts coach for a dead-beat head coach that had never won a meaningful game, outside of beating Daddy once or twice.)

Venables was the missing ingredient that took that program next level; and dude was one of the luckiest bounces in college football—effectively forced out of OU by Bob Stoops, when brother Mike wanted to return to his post (after things crapped out in Tuscon), making him available for Clemson.

Had Mike Stoops not returned to OU, a safe bet Venables is still in Norman right now, coaching under Lincoln Riley as the guy had "lifer" written all over him. The Tigers ended up landing one of the best defensive coordinators in the game—by pure luck—and the rest is history.

Advertisement
Oh yea, I would absolutely take 10-3, at the U, but Oregon was supposed to be a team to challenge for a NC this year, heck, they might be challenging just to stay in the top 25 by the end of bowl season.

Oregon was 12th in the preseason consensus. That is hardly picked to challenge for a national title. There is a vast gap between the top handful of programs and all the rest, as I've tried to point out for years.

Here is the consensus of all the preseason rankings. Oregon at 12th was generally picked in the 10-20 range, with the normal numbers of outliers on either side of that. Nothing higher than 5th.

BTW, the first 6 teams from that preseason consensus are the same 6 teams atop Jeff Sagarin's current college football power ratings. The order is somewhat different but Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU and Ohio State are the familiar names.

That's why I always have to laugh at anyone who knocks preseason ratings. Talk about certifying yourself as clueless. It is the familiar desperation to clutch outliers and ignore the rule.

The problem id we dont have the money the fans think we have. Look at the staffs of these major programs and look at ours. SEC teams spend on running back coaches what we spend on coordinators. Who in the **** is gonna wanna come here for lesser pay?

Of course it takes money. I'm the guy who's advocating we do whatever it takes to get a real AD, including paying Clemson's AD triple his current salary if that's what it takes to get him here. But the fact of the matter is, it's simply not the case that Miami can't "AFFORD" to pay big bucks to hire good people to run the athletics programs. They have just decided that there are other priorities than getting the best of the best.

We're saying the same thing, I'm just saying that money isn't the issue that people make it out to be, it's the prioritization of winning and maximizing revenue that is the problem. We're prioritizing other things over winning, and have been for many years.

Advertisement
Back