SIAP (Scrimmage Tonight?)

I was just reading that. Bolden, Mallory and Tyrique Stevenson have no chance to go in the top rounds? What?
Where can I find said article?
"there weren't many instances of opposing QB's lighting up Manny's defense"

that's debatable I think.

Francois - 20/31 - 2 TDs - 0 int.
Trubisky - 33/46 - 2 TDs - 0 int.
Evans - 21/33 - 2 TDs - 0 int.
Kizer - 21/38 - 2 TDs - 0 int.
Jones - 34/50 - 3 TDs - 0 int.

Woodside - 28/48 -3 TDs - 0 int.
Benkert - 28/37 - 4 TDs - 1 int.
Pickett - 18/29 - 1 TD - 0 int.
Bryant - 23/29 - 1 TD - 0 int.
Hornibrook - 23/34 - 4 TDs - 0 int.

Can't statistically say any QB carved his defense that year

Throw 2016 out the window. That's Manny's first year at Miami, implementing a completely new system, which by the way represented a massive improvement defensively relatively to 2015. In 2017, we saw significant improvement relative to 2016, and in 2018, we had the #1 passing defense in the country.

Advertisement

Throw 2016 out the window. That's Manny's first year at Miami, implementing a completely new system, which by the way represented a massive improvement defensively relatively to 2015. In 2017, we saw significant improvement relative to 2016, and in 2018, we had the #1 passing defense in the country.
Watch it now..the mopes are about to come in here and say Mannys stats are fugazi because of his system so being the #1 pass defense in the country in 2018 wasnt really what it was. Smh.

People on here have VERY short memories. in 2017 AND 2018 I would put our defense up against any in the country pound for pound. The disrespect being shown to guys like Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine, Shaq, Gerald Willis, etc is embarrassing.

I believe there are some things being unmentioned in this conversation, that when combined together, will result in a better defense. Stats are misleading. In 2018 we may have had our best defense under Diaz, yet an extremely bad offense left them in bad positions consistently and they were out on the field too much. Our offense should be very good this year. Out of King's own mouth "this is the first time I am playing a second year in the same offense."

1) Baker called zone defense roughly 15% more snaps than Diaz did. That is a huge swing if you consider that Diaz was close to 50/50 zone vs man. That would be 65% zone and 35% man. Macho brings up a good point that Diaz is a fire zone DC. That is the truth, however, when you have an excessively unaggressive DC (Baker) calling plays for what is supposed to be an aggressive defense (it was significantly more aggressive with Diaz calling plays) then you have a guy that is a fish out of water, which Baker was here. Zone/Man must be mixed up at a better rate. It is a requirement to use both in college football now-a-days.

2) TRob is here and so is Stevensen. Diaz will call more man than Baker did, plus we have a drastically better man defensive back coach. Safeties will likely play better as well. On top of it Baker and Banda were never on the same page. Baker often called one play for the defense, then Banda called another play for the DB's.

3) Simpson brings gap integrity and outside contain. He was a big part of why our defense was better in 2018. Diaz does not preach gap integrity, but Simpson does. That results in a better run defense and makes the LB's job easier because they know exactly what gap they are responsible for. Our run defense was porous last year to say the least and that has everything to do with playing undisciplined football with no gap integrity or contain. We talk about how hard it is to replace our 2 DE's. It is hard, not going to lie, but they were a part of the problem getting too far up the field or crashing, which left wide open running lanes. Watch 2018 games and see how much more discipled our DL was that year.

4) Patke - laugh it up if you will, bash him, whatever. Finley was totally lost and confused playing under Banda at Safety. They moved him to Striker under Patke and he played really good football. Good enough that all of us fans were concerned about who would replace him. Along comes Frierson and K. Smith and they were perhaps the most consistent unit on a bad defense last year. Patke will be an upgrade over Baker for a conglomerate of reasons. Once again, Baker was a fish out of water here. Patke did play LB in HS as well, plus K.Smith played so well as a back up Striker they are trying to get him on the field more consistently at WLB.

5) Shoop is the gameplanner and gameplanning has been a huge problem here. Shoop had an aggressive defense at MSU. Similar to Diaz's D. In 2018 Shoop had the #1 scoring defense in college football the very same year that Diaz had a top 5 scoring defense. Shoop held Bama to a 24-0 loss in 2018 without having any resemblance of an offense to help him out that game. Shoop had a better defense than Diaz did in the SEC West with a less talented team. You can bet that Diaz is going to be wide open to Shoop's input and there is very likely to to be less soft zone or fire zone in our defense. Significantly more man.

I am not saying that our defense is suddenly going to go back to 2018 form. What I am saying is there is a big conglomerate of reasons the defense will be better. As already mentioned, every defense gets lit up with some frequency in today's college football. The goal is to be consistently better. Opposing offenses not named Bama and Clemson will have a rough time outscoring our offense this year. A combination of a more consistent offense and a more consistent defense results in a points swing on the scoreboard, meaning more wins and not getting embarrassed as bad vs Bama/Clemson. I am hoping that holds true.

Last edited:
Advertisement
there is some
I believe there are some things being unmentioned in this conversation, that when combined together, will result in a better defense. Stats are misleading. In 2018 we may have had our best defense under Diaz, yet an extremely bad offense left them in bad positions consistently and they were out on the field too much. Our offense should be very good this year. Out of King's own mouth "this is the first time I am playing a second year in the same offense."

1) Baker called zone defense roughly 15% more snaps than Diaz did. That is a huge swing if you consider that Diaz was close to 50/50 zone vs man. That would be 65% zone and 35% man. Macho brings up a good point that Diaz is a fire zone DC. That is the truth, however, when you have an excessively unaggressive DC (Baker) calling plays for what is supposed to be an aggressive defense (it was significantly more aggressive with Diaz calling plays) then you have a guy that is a fish out of water, which Baker was here. Zone/Man must be mixed up at a better rate. It is a requirement to use both in college football now-a-days.

2) TRob is here and so is Stevensen. Diaz will call more man than Baker did, plus we have a drastically better man defensive back coach. Safeties will likely play better as well. On top of it Baker and Banda were never on the same page. Baker often called one play for the defense, then Banda called another play for the DB's.

3) Simpson brings gap integrity and outside contain. He was a big part of why our defense was better in 2018. Diaz does not preach gap integrity, but Simpson does. That results in a better run defense and makes the LB's job easier because they know exactly what gap they are responsible for. Our run defense was porous last year to say the least and that has everything to do with playing undisciplined football with no gap integrity or contain. We talk about how hard it is to replace our 2 DE's. It is hard, not going to lie, but they were a part of the problem getting too far up the field or crashing, which left wide open running lanes. Watch 2018 games and see how much more discipled our DL was that year.

4) Patke - laugh it up if you will, bash him, whatever. Finley was totally lost and confused playing under Banda at Safety. They moved him to Striker under Patke and he played really good football. Good enough that all of us fans were concerned about who would replace him. Along comes Frierson and K. Smith and they were perhaps the most consistent unit on a bad defense last year. Patke will be an upgrade over Baker for a conglomerate of reasons. Once again, Baker was a fish out of water here. Patke did play LB in HS as well, plus K.Smith played so well as a back up Striker they are trying to get him on the field more consistently at WLB.

5) Shoop is the gameplanner and gameplanning has been a huge problem here. Shoop had an aggressive defense at MSU. Similar to Diaz's D. In 2018 Shoop had the #1 scoring defense in college football the very same year that Diaz had a top 5 scoring defense. Shoop held Bama to a 24-0 loss in 2018 without having any resemblance of an offense to help him out that game. Shoop had a better defense than Diaz did in the SEC West with a less talented team. You can bet that Diaz is going to be wide open to Shop's input and there is very likely to to be less soft zone or fire zone in our defense. Significantly more man.

I am not saying that our defense is suddenly going to go back to 2018 form. What I am saying is there is a big conglomerate of reasons the defense will be better. As already mentioned, every defense gets lit up with some frequency in today's college football. The goal is to be consistently better. Opposing offenses not named Bama and Clemson will have a rough time outscoring our offense this year. A combination of a more consistent offense and a more consistent defense results in a points swing on the scoreboard, meaning more wins and not getting embarrassed as bad vs Bama/Clemson. I am hoping that holds true.

fantastic post, and it supports something i said earlier. T Rob. Shoop and Simpson (the "Trio") IMO didn't come to Miami to take orders from Manny. in fact, i don't think that's Manny's style. He is modern day "collab" type of guy. While Manny is DC and HC, he will allow the Trio to have a lot of input into every aspect of the D, reserving onto himself final determinations.

I said passing efficiency defense. You listed every stat but that.

But let’s look at the numbers overall. You see a general upward trend in most categories under Diaz and a general downward trend in most categories under Baker. It’s like one guy inherited a defense and that was one of the worst in the ACC and immediately made them better. To the point where they were probably the best defense in the nation by year 3. The other guy inherited that defense that was the best in the nation and by his second season, they were all the way back to a middle of the road defense again.

But it’s not all on Baker. There was a three year period where every linebacker they recruited either flopped or got hurt too often. You can’t miss that much at any spot. Also, the rest of the defensive staff left something to be desired. Banda, Rumph and Stroud are no longer on field coaches. Stroud in particular did a good job on teaching individual pass rush technique but the overall play on the line suffered.

When something doesn’t work you change it. When your defense gives up a bunch of yards passing and struggles on third downs, you make a fundamental shift, replacing a linebacker with a hybrid safety and your pass defense and third down defense improve to best in the nation. Same with coaches. Guys who were struggling have been replaced. If you want to be a successful coach, you have to do these types of things.

Besides, I don’t see Diaz keeping the DC role after this season regardless of what happens. Whether it’s Bob Shoop or another big name, someone else will likely be calling the defense next season.

I legit didn’t even see that category under the NCAA stats (which was an oversight) so I listed all the passing stats I found on Def & Def stats in general. However, upon further review (no pun intended) I found the stat line:
16-17 (29th)
17-18 (23rd)
18-19 (1st)
19-20 (29th)
20-21 (59th)

My whole point in posting the stats is the tell-tale sign of the step back both DCs have shown in their 2nd yr as DC. There wasn’t a “general upward trend” w/ Diaz. Lol. The two categories that was an upward trend w/ Diaz was Passing Efficiency in Yr 2 & Sacks in Yr 2. I didn’t even include scoring defense where in 2016-2017 we were 12th & 2017-2018, we were 29th. S

Again, the exception was yr 3, and in yr 3 we played:

-LSU: 66th passing O
-SSt (FCS - 120th!!)
-Toledo: 68th passing O
-FIU: 53rd passing O
-UNC: 47th passing O
-FSU: 28th passing O
-UVA: 86th passing O
-BC: 81st passing O
-Duke: 52nd passing O
-GT: 126th passing O
-VT: 40th passing O
-Pitt: 120th passing O
-Wisc: 118th passing O

Our team’s “passing efficiency defense” during the 2018-19 season faced opponents who couldn’t tote the rock, pimp! Our avg opponent was 77th in passing. ****, even the FCS team we faced had a top 4 worst passing O.

We faced only 3 teams ranked w/in the top 50 in passing. There’s a reason y we were #1 in passing Def that yr & 42nd in rushing defense.

I’ll give Diaz his credit; our defense has looked way better than it had under D’No, but that’s not saying much. My only issue w/ some fans on here is the continuance of throwing everyone under the bus, except Diaz. And for the record, it has not been a 3 yr period of LB recruiting woes; it’s been from the class of 2017 - now. That’s on both Diaz & Patke, yet the fanboys will point str8 to Patke.

Anyways, like I said & have been saying…there’s no excuses. 10+ wins, ACCCG & I feel we can be led there this yr

Advertisement
I legit didn’t even see that category under the NCAA stats (which was an oversight) so I listed all the passing stats I found on Def & Def stats in general. However, upon further review (no pun intended) I found the stat line:
16-17 (29th)
17-18 (23rd)
18-19 (1st)
19-20 (29th)
20-21 (59th)

My whole point in posting the stats is the tell-tale sign of the step back both DCs have shown in their 2nd yr as DC. There wasn’t a “general upward trend” w/ Diaz. Lol. The two categories that was an upward trend w/ Diaz was Passing Efficiency in Yr 2 & Sacks in Yr 2. I didn’t even include scoring defense where in 2016-2017 we were 12th & 2017-2018, we were 29th. S

-SSt (FCS - 120th!!)

Our team’s “passing efficiency defense” during the 2018-19 season faced opponents who couldn’t tote the rock, pimp! Our avg opponent was 77th in passing. ****, even the FCS team we faced had a top 4 worst passing O.

We faced only 3 teams ranked w/in the top 50 in passing. There’s a reason y we were #1 in passing Def that yr & 42nd in rushing defense.

I’ll give Diaz his credit; our defense has looked way better than it had under D’No, but that’s not saying much. My only issue w/ some fans on here is the continuance of throwing everyone under the bus, except Diaz. And for the record, it has not been a 3 yr period of LB recruiting woes; it’s been from the class of 2017 - now. That’s on both Diaz & Patke, yet the fanboys will point str8 to Patke.

Anyways, like I said & have been saying…there’s no excuses. 10+ wins, ACCCG & I feel we can be led there this yr
great post. Diaz is not a perfect DC, but he´s better than some of the ones we´ve had. His scheme has flaws and hopefully, as I have been saying for some time, The Trio (Shoop T Rob and Simpson) will help him adjust and improve. Also, having better players will help.

great post. Diaz is not a perfect DC, but he´s better than some of the ones we´ve had. His scheme has flaws and hopefully, as I have been saying for some time, The Trio (Shoop T Rob and Simpson) will help him adjust and improve. Also, having better players will help.

The latter part of ur statement, my brother, is y I have the most optimism.

The latter part of ur statement, my brother, is y I have the most optimism.
agreed, but those better players are for the most part freshmen, so i'm not sure what impact they will have right away. perhaps by Game 5 on September 30 as we start our ACC schedule they will have had some time to adjust to the game. The schedule is set up to help them , after Bama.

Watch it now..the mopes are about to come in here and say Mannys stats are fugazi because of his system so being the #1 pass defense in the country in 2018 wasnt really what it was. Smh.

People on here have VERY short memories. in 2017 AND 2018 I would put our defense up against any in the country pound for pound. The disrespect being shown to guys like Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine, Shaq, Gerald Willis, etc is embarrassing.
Willis being the biggest one of them all…. Truly a dominant season in the same way I saw Suh during his last year at Nebraska just unblockable

Advertisement
16-17 (29th)
17-18 (23rd)
18-19 (1st)
19-20 (29th)
20-21 (59th)

-SSt (FCS - 120th!!)

How is that schedule any different from the one we played in 2017? I mean just add Notre Dame (a team who didn't pass the ball very well anyway) and it's pretty much exactly the same thing. If you can find a team that ranked in the top ten in pass defense that also played a ton of teams that throw the ball really well, I'd be shocked.

Advertisement
That’s weird , because we had five scouts at our second practice. Barry Jackson is a tool.
We agree that the scout being quoted here is insane if he thinks only Bubba and Zion are our day 1/2 picks on this team, right? Maybe this scout is salty about being the one that picked Dorsett or Flowers or somebody round 1 lol.

One good season from Mallory as the featured TE and he is right there.
I don't know enough to argue about King so maybe he is day 3, but still.

Who else is he wrong about?

Also sidenote, can anybody explain what the **** is happening with Kipers rankings to put hedley as the 7th punter even though he was considered the 2nd best last year?

We agree that the scout being quoted here is insane if he thinks only Bubba and Zion are our day 1/2 picks on this team, right? Maybe this scout is salty about being the one that picked Dorsett or Flowers or somebody round 1 lol.

One good season from Mallory as the featured TE and he is right there.
I don't know enough to argue about King so maybe he is day 3, but still.

Who else is he wrong about?

Also sidenote, can anybody explain what the **** is happening with Kipers rankings to put hedley as the 7th punter even though he was considered the 2nd best last year?
I didn’t read the article lol. “Barry Jackson is a tool was just a statement”. Five scouts don’t show up to practice two if there’s not talent.

Advertisement
Back