SIAP...NIL fixed.

It'll be too "in the weeds" politically for most to care about but it actually would be interesting to know what exactly went down here (ie outside "lobbying") and who exactly knew what when....and how effing stupid or for sale all involved parties must be to think it was either going to slide under the radar or that they wouldn't have faced massive backlash personally had they succeeded.

You are correct. ****, we already have too many dopey porsters who get lost in the weeds if you simply cut-and-paste a Wikipedia write-up of OTHER primary sources, or you use the layman's term "spending" instead of the p-analytical word "appropriations".

So far, the "staffers" have been thrown under the bus as the "source" of the concerns cited by the "leadership" who authored the amendment. But as we all know, the "staffers" aren't in charge. I'm sure there were some threatening NCAA phone calls that went to Hutson and others, since you saw Hutson say "well, if Emmert will put that in writing".

But, again, we have to contrast the tuff-talk of the House Speaker last week ("FL will not bow down to the NCAA") with the rapid ****-proffering that went on this week. SOMETHING happened, but it's not about political contributions or The Illuminati. Someone from the NCAA falsely told Hutson that players could "lose their scholarships" (nope) instead of saying "the NCAA will try to rule those players ineligible", which is never going to actually happen (and would likely result in injunctive relief prior to becoming effective).

No big deal. Again, happy that the correct result transpired, but it was due to a groundswell of anger from the rank-and-file of the FL House/Senate, and not from the magical Veto Fairy Wand.

Advertisement
It's simple.

FL House/Senate "leadership" inserted the two sentence amendment into an unrelated bill. Most (not all) voted on the bill without knowing about this. Controversy ensued.

Now, the majority of House/Senate members who were clueless about the shenanigans have voted to remove that two sentence amendment, effectively outvoting the House/Senate "leadership" who snuck the amendment in a few days ago.

All's well that ends well.

Who specifically is the "leadership" that snuck in the initial language? I want to TP their house.

Advertisement
It'll be too "in the weeds" politically for most to care about but it actually would be interesting to know what exactly went down here (ie outside "lobbying") and who exactly knew what when....and how effing stupid or for sale all involved parties must be to think it was either going to slide under the radar or that they wouldn't have faced massive backlash personally had they succeeded.
Agreed I would like to know how it went down. especially since it’s being blamed on leadership and, not specific congressman. Somebody wanted to throw rocks, and hide their hand.

From what I saw Manny was the only HC of the big 3 to actually step up and say anything. The U has the most to gain from this rule.

might have to go pull up the receipts of all the ppl who tried telling me that this was strictly a booster/alumni thing. Miami wouldn’t benefit bc they didn’t have the big boosters like other schools. Something tells me their position on this topic has “evolved”.

All 3 major schools' coaches spoke up.

Dan Mullen on Twitter: The state of Florida needs to enact NIL legislation in 2021, as was originally planned. We need to do what’s best for our student-athletes.

Norvell on Twitter: There is no reason to wait to do the right thing The state of Florida was a leader on NIL and, as other states quickly tried to follow our model, college athletes in Florida have been able to position themselves to be ready to benefit starting July 1, 2021

Forget the political ****ing matches of a few other threads, that actually had no business being there in the first place, here’s the bottom line:

It was the University of Miami that showed leadership here. From the coaches like Manny, to the players, shlt I’ll even give Blake James credit.

And where did the solution come from? South Florida. Who drove that? The University of Miami!

And where were the turds and the semenholes in all of this? They jumped in the game late, way late. UM was on top of this from the jump. This benefited their players too.

I wish our SEC groupies would take note of this. Look who takes care of you in the long run, no matter what school you end up going to.

Advertisement
Forget the political ****ing matches of a few other threads, that actually had no business being there in the first place, here’s the bottom line:

It was the University of Miami that showed leadership here. From the coaches like Manny, to the players, shlt I’ll even give Blake James credit.

And where did the solution come from? South Florida. Who drove that? The University of Miami!

And where were the turds and the semenholes in all of this? They jumped in the game late, way late. UM was on top of this from the jump. This benefited their players too.

I wish our SEC groupies would take note of this. Look who takes care of you in the long run, no matter what school you end up going to.
Yea **** the other two schools. They piggybacked our work.

@TheOriginalCane

Jim Carrey Relax GIF by Team Coco

I thought you said this wasn't possible or some shnit?
Appears they fixed it legislatively with a language edit.

Yea **** the other two schools. They piggybacked our work.
Also, I will say there is a slight difference between Mullen and Norvell sending out a simple tweet showing support and Manny straight up calling out politicians and some how getting Manny Diaz Jr (I still cant believe that is the name of FL Senator in Miami) to push through fixes.

Make no mistake, UM is actively excited about NIL and thinks it can greatly help. UF and FSU needed to save face to show unison for collegiate athletics but they know this benefits UM more than them.

I'm far too lazy, but you can trace back the initial document for consideration to see if the 2021 vs 2022 language started there. If it was 2021 at beginning, you should be able to see whose name is being used in vain when it was changed to 2022.

IF that occurred and "they" didnt want to take responsibility (at first anyways), the offerer of the ammendment (who ever it is) can always plead "MY edits were actually x, y, and z. I didn't realize THIS change was attached to my request... blah blah blah..."

If someone is that motivated, it can be found out the who to some degree.

It appears the bruhaha started with an ammendment to SB1028 (filled with hot button issues on its own) and the original bill for consideration had the date as 2021. Again, I just don't have the energy to trace all the pages. I'll just wait for it to come out on wikipedia do I can sound smurtz inz stuffz.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who specifically is the "leadership" that snuck in the initial language? I want to TP their house.

I used the term as it was described in the news article that was in the first thread.

Hutson is one. When the term "leadership" is used, I would assume that the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate are involved, as well as the Majority Leaders of both houses, and most likely the Chairperson of whatever committee(s) marked up the legislation, as a Chair would have the primary version-control over the text of the bill.

Oh, and before some little ***** porster loses his mind, this comes from Wikipedia:

1619819565449.png

Last edited:

I bet Nick Saban is behind it. Or the NCAA. One in the same, really.

And bags were likely dropped. Heavy bags. These are politicians after all

From what I saw Manny was the only HC of the big 3 to actually step up and say anything. The U has the most to gain from this rule.

might have to go pull up the receipts of all the ppl who tried telling me that this was strictly a booster/alumni thing. Miami wouldn’t benefit bc they didn’t have the big boosters like other schools. Something tells me their position on this topic has “evolved”.
You were literally one of if not the first to say this was big for the U.
Salute

Advertisement
You were literally one of if not the first to say this was big for the U.
Salute

I've been saying, for years, that this was about much more than some cynical way for southern-school boosters to pay players.

The NCAA video game is now going to make a comeback.

We'll be able to get player names on jerseys again.

Players can start their own businesses, merchandise themselves, sign autographs, and profit from the internet (unlike that poor kicker from UCF, who the NCAA dumped in Biscayne Bay like he was a serial killer and they were Dexter Morgan).

People need to start embracing some of the (very few) proposals that the NCAA has made, in that they need a committee that will review and approve all arrangements BEFORE they take place. We need a very strong administrative system to prevent bagmen from making a mockery of NIL.

I used the term as it was described in the news article that was in the first thread.

Hutson is one. When the term "leadership" is used, I would assume that the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate are involved, as well as the Majority Leaders of both houses, and most likely the Chairperson of whatever committee(s) marked up the legislation, as a Chair would have the primary version-control over the text of the bill.

Oh, and before some little ***** porster loses his mind, this comes from Wikipedia:

View attachment 146360
Big talk behind a keyboard Wiki. Must be all the chins.

Very brave.

Last edited:
Not getting into P-tics here but...

I think DeSantis would have vetoed it anyway... he was a major supporter and proponent of this from the beginning. He touted how we were the first state to approve it and with potential 2024 aspirations for him would have made him look very very bad.

Not getting into P-tics here but...

I think DeSantis would have vetoed it anyway... he was a major supporter and proponent of this from the beginning. He touted how we were the first state to approve it and with potential 2024 aspirations for him would have made him look very very bad.
He shouldn’t look too far ahead, there’s 2022 first.

Advertisement
Back