SIAP- Mario Cristobal

D

deleted4920

With the inane amount of posts about Butch and how he coulda/ woulda/ shoulda been our HC , the better hypothetical conversation should have been about Cristobal.

He left Bama for a super high profile job, has done very well, is recruiting tremendously, and is poised to have Oregon be in the national conversation for a while.

I don't think Miami ever considered Mario in 2016 but if we didn't that will go down as a mistake. Former Cane, local guy, former HC, etc.

I know the optics look bad- Hiring a guy FIRED by FIU. We look down our noses at FIU, and I get it, but we may regret never giving him a serious look.

Pete fired Mario and eventually got what / who he wanted- his boy Butch.

Oregon lucked into Cristobal.

To quote the Godfather: " Pop had Genco. Look what I got."

Advertisement
Mario would still be an assistant at Oregon if “lethal simplicity” hadn’t been hired away by FSU.

Sometimes teams luck into coaches

Thought he was a good recruiter didnt know that if he was a head guy he would be elite at it. I want to see him face adversity next season just to see if he still recruits elite with bad records. Cause if he does he would be the perfect fit IMO. Being that one class cant win it cause they sometimes have to mature.....if he can build a three back to back to back elite classes then he may be the guy. This guy doesnt care about not cheating or doing what u must.
He looks like the goods....kirby was similar at UGA and u just knew it was different on the trail and u knew it would equal wins (only mental people on here didnt see it) it was a matter of time before we knew (some of us) uga would start winning and looking different doing it.

Cristobal was a Poor Man's Al Golden based on his record at FIU. Was in no way ready to become the Miami HC. Assistant HC/OL coach/HCIW? Sure. Great fit. Probably would have ended up HC if he'd accepted Al Golden's offer and Golden got fired.

But as HC coming out of Bama in 2016? Not a chance. He also didn't get hired to be the Oregon HC so it's not like they had some secret sauce for identifying HCs.

Fortunately, for Canes fans, I do have the secret sauce for spotting championship caliber coaches. The next Lincoln Riley is right up the turnpike at UCF.

Advertisement
Cristobal was a Poor Man's Al Golden based on his record at FIU. Was in no way ready to become the Miami HC. Assistant HC/OL coach/HCIW? Sure. Great fit. Probably would have ended up HC if he'd accepted Al Golden's offer and Golden got fired.

But as HC coming out of Bama in 2016? Not a chance. He also didn't get hired to be the Oregon HC so it's not like they had some secret sauce for identifying HCs.

Fortunately, for Canes fans, I do have the secret sauce for spotting championship caliber coaches. The next Lincoln Riley is right up the turnpike at UCF.
Was looking at this earlier today out of curiosity and found out he has the same buyout as mario sitting at 10 million. Marios drops 2 mil every year as long as he doesn't leave in the next month or so and huepels buyout holds until ucfs 2020 bowl game. Assuming richt isn't here at this time next year, I'm not sure how the admin would play that one.

I prefer Butch first and Mario second

If other names arise my list can change. I doubt i would put anyone over Butch thats a realistic hire. Saban would obviously be number one

Advertisement
I prefer Butch first and Mario second

If other names arise my list can change. I doubt i would put anyone over Butch thats a realistic hire. Saban would obviously be number one

I agree.

1. "The Natural" Butch Reed

2. "Le Magnifique" Mario Lemieux

Screenshot_20181226-182413_Gallery.jpg

But you take Lou "The Real" Saban back over both.

Screenshot_20181226-182543_Gallery.jpg

Honestly, for ***** and gigs let says Richt gets fired in 2 years, we have two decent candidates who would take the job in Cristobal and Diaz. We'll see how both of them do from here but would have a hard time seeing either of them saying no to UM HC (maybe cristobal if Nike backed up the truck for him)

Advertisement
If he continues to recruit at an elite level top 5ish and loses next year but can hold elite classes then u can chalk it up that he will be a good one. U need 3 elite classes to enter the bamas UGAs of the world

Honestly, for ***** and gigs let says Richt gets fired in 2 years, we have two decent candidates who would take the job in Cristobal and Diaz. We'll see how both of them do from here but would have a hard time seeing either of them saying no to UM HC (maybe cristobal if Nike backed up the truck for him)

I'd take Diaz over him every day. Diaz atleast can coach up a UNit on a team. What the **** is Mario other than a recruiter?. A sub par OL COACH/Figure head type...I'll pass. His recruiting pull will dwindle here as we lose 4 games a year.
Um is a spot not fora hc that recruits...we need ones that can win games and the recruits will come.

Advertisement
"Has done very well" ≠ 8-4 (soon to be 8-5) and a 4th place finish in your division.

If so, then A LOT of us owe Rick an apology about this season.
You'll be the only ******* apologizing to a 18 year vet for ruining what should have been a championship season lol

I'd take Diaz over him every day. Diaz atleast can coach up a UNit on a team. What the **** is Mario other than a recruiter?. A sub par OL COACH/Figure head type...I'll pass. His recruiting pull will dwindle here as we lose 4 games a year.
Um is a spot not fora hc that recruits...we need ones that can win games and the recruits will come.
What has Mork done besides run the UM program in the ground?

Cristobal is killing it in recruiting but he has to get more wins before we start writing up his contract to be Miami next coach.
Having Nike backing helps, facility second to none and about coming back to Coral Gables some people just move on

Advertisement
Back