SIAP: Let's Talk Defense

Glenn Schumann intrigues me but doesn't have experience calling a defense
Jim Knowles from Oklahoma State - everyone knows I've been clamoring for him since he was at Duke - looks like Florida is on him
Mike Tressel from Cincinnati - good track record dating back to Michigan State - probably stays in the Great Lakes region somewhere
Zach Arnett - Miss State - good track record and a good coaching tree but not the scheme that's gonna excite everyone
Kurt Mattix - same tree as Arnett
Jon Heacock from Iowa State - probably top 5 in the country - not sure if someone could get him to leave Iowa State for whatever reason
Doug Belk from Houston - good upcoming name killing it this year
Tony Gibson from NCST - lot of respect for him dating back to West Virginia
Brad Lambert from Purdue - I think he had Marshall as the best D in the country last year and in 1 year took Purdue from the 60s to a top 20 defense
Excellent list! Jon Heacock definitely. I really like Doug Belk but Brad Lambert would be a home run hire IMO. The guy gets results. Tressell is also quite intriguing. I feel the same way about Schumann.

Advertisement
What Brad Lambert did at Marshall was outstanding. That defense was fun to watch and got results. He'd be a homerun hire as far as x's and o's, I just don't know anything about his recruiting ability since it was Marshall and they're not big game hunting.
In my humble opinion if the new HC has the opportunity to hire Brad Lambert then he needs to do it. You can surround him with recruiters. That type of X's and O's wizardry doesn't come along too often. You jump on it.

Assume the HC is Mario - he's learned from Saban to hire coordinators that have been Head Coaches - not always but it's a preference
Jim Knowles - former Ivy League head coach
Brad Lambert - jump started the Charlotte program
Muschamp - overrated asf but it's an option
Gary Patterson - doubt he'd want to do it
DJ Durkin - I'd like to take him from Ole Miss but he has his "baggage" - which is bs to me - but he's a great coordinator with HC experience at Maryland
Brad Lambert and defense wouldnt be something people had to argue about.

Advertisement
Glenn Schumann intrigues me but doesn't have experience calling a defense
Jim Knowles from Oklahoma State - everyone knows I've been clamoring for him since he was at Duke - looks like Florida is on him
Mike Tressel from Cincinnati - good track record dating back to Michigan State - probably stays in the Great Lakes region somewhere
Zach Arnett - Miss State - good track record and a good coaching tree but not the scheme that's gonna excite everyone
Kurt Mattix - same tree as Arnett
Jon Heacock from Iowa State - probably top 5 in the country - not sure if someone could get him to leave Iowa State for whatever reason
Doug Belk from Houston - good upcoming name killing it this year
Tony Gibson from NCST - lot of respect for him dating back to West Virginia
Brad Lambert from Purdue - I think he had Marshall as the best D in the country last year and in 1 year took Purdue from the 60s to a top 20 defense
Why Tony Gibson? Every good offense he faces, shreds him since he came back to Morgantown a decade ago. He feasts on bad offenses and skews his numbers. Decent but not great recruiter. All he does well is identify and coach up LBers. I would LOVE him as a Lber coach, but I wouldn’t touch him as DC.

Why Tony Gibson? Every good offense he faces, shreds him since he came back to Morgantown a decade ago. He feasts on bad offenses and skews his numbers. Decent but not great recruiter. All he does well is identify and coach up LBers. I would LOVE him as a Lber coach, but I wouldn’t touch him as DC.
He's probably last on that list for me but I do think he's solid. He had WVU on a strong upward trajectory when he first took over. He took a unit I think was 99th before him and within a couple years they had gone to like 50s to 40s to 30s and then slipped back to the 60s - right in line with when Dana Holgorsen had started to get burnt out there and had quit recruiting.

Then he took over a rebuilding unit at NCST that lost 4 draft picks on their DL and now a few years later they're back in the top 20 this year allowing less than 20 per game.

He's probably last on that list for me but I do think he's solid. He had WVU on a strong upward trajectory when he first took over. He took a unit I think was 99th before him and within a couple years they had gone to like 50s to 40s to 30s and then slipped back to the 60s - right in line with when Dana Holgorsen had started to get burnt out there and had quit recruiting.

Then he took over a rebuilding unit at NCST that lost 4 draft picks on their DL and now a few years later they're back in the top 20 this year allowing less than 20 per game.
Shutout a dreadful USF offense. 7 to Furman. Backup QB’s in the BC and FSU games. Held Cuse to 17, but got shredded on the ground for 8 ypc. Outside of those games they got lit up.

He’s a guy you have to go beyond the total numbers to get the full picture. I don’t think he’s bad by any means, but he’s not someone id consider.

Advertisement
Shutout a dreadful USF offense. 7 to Furman. Backup QB’s in the BC and FSU games. Held Cuse to 17, but got shredded on the ground for 8 ypc. Outside of those games they got lit up.

He’s a guy you have to go beyond the total numbers to get the full picture. I don’t think he’s bad by any means, but he’s not someone id consider.
I agree with most of it. I don't think he'll be our DC or anything anyway but I wouldn't be mad about it. He's still top 25 in yards, held Miss State well under their avg YPP on the year, shut down Louisville. They aren't loaded by any means and he's doing more with less.

I'd be concerned about his rush defense though. They did get gashed on the ground - but that's usually not the case with his defenses.

Wake put points on them but watching the game it was flukey. They managed that Wake offense better than anyone else did aside from Clemson. Hartman struggled, they baited him into interceptions, he wasn't close to 50% completions. NCST just committed too many penalties and kept giving Wake 2nd chances

Lots of threads around the AD and HC search at UM

What the **** are we going to do with our defense?

What does everyone think about this situation?

We need fresh eyes in our coaches room, no doubt. Perhaps we land a solid AD, perhaps we land a solid HC. Yes we will need to fill the hole left by Lashlee, or maybe a bigtime HC hire will bring along a good OC.

LETS TALK ABOUT DC GUYS

I like guys like Brad White @ Kentucky, Morgan Scalley @ Utah (but the baggage is not good), Alex Grinch @ Oklahoma, Staggs @ CCU

Could we snag a guy from the NFL like Gerald Alexander from the Fins?

I know there are not really a lot of names looking for jobs, but if we're going to spend money, maybe we can lure in a guy to get our defense right.

Shoop needs to go, he was a bad addition, and it was written all over the place.
Hire a DC. Get rid of striker position. Search the portal for capable LBs and CBs.

I agree with most of it. I don't think he'll be our DC or anything anyway but I wouldn't be mad about it. He's still top 25 in yards, held Miss State well under their avg YPP on the year, shut down Louisville. They aren't loaded by any means and he's doing more with less.

I'd be concerned about his rush defense though. They did get gashed on the ground - but that's usually not the case with his defenses.

Wake put points on them but watching the game it was flukey. They managed that Wake offense better than anyone else did aside from Clemson. Hartman struggled, they baited him into interceptions, he wasn't close to 50% completions. NCST just committed too many penalties and kept giving Wake 2nd chances
Hartman was off that day. He missed a handful of open throws. But they handled them better than most I agree.

Advertisement
didn't Kaya light him up at the last bowl game we won ?

Advertisement
Assume the HC is Mario - he's learned from Saban to hire coordinators that have been Head Coaches - not always but it's a preference
Jim Knowles - former Ivy League head coach
Brad Lambert - jump started the Charlotte program
Muschamp - overrated asf but it's an option
Gary Patterson - doubt he'd want to do it
DJ Durkin - I'd like to take him from Ole Miss but he has his "baggage" - which is bs to me - but he's a great coordinator with HC experience at Maryland
Saban hires former HCs because he’s got more money than god and it keeps them away from other teams, not so mush that they’re better coordinators because they’ve been HCs.

Advertisement
Back