SIAP: Let's Talk Defense

Lots of threads around the AD and HC search at UM

What the **** are we going to do with our defense?

What does everyone think about this situation?

We need fresh eyes in our coaches room, no doubt. Perhaps we land a solid AD, perhaps we land a solid HC. Yes we will need to fill the hole left by Lashlee, or maybe a bigtime HC hire will bring along a good OC.

LETS TALK ABOUT DC GUYS

I like guys like Brad White @ Kentucky, Morgan Scalley @ Utah (but the baggage is not good), Alex Grinch @ Oklahoma, Staggs @ CCU

Could we snag a guy from the NFL like Gerald Alexander from the Fins?

I know there are not really a lot of names looking for jobs, but if we're going to spend money, maybe we can lure in a guy to get our defense right.

Shoop needs to go, he was a bad addition, and it was written all over the place.

Advertisement
Grinch went with Riley to USC.

Shoop can coach, idgaf about what took place this year in regards to him. The man has a proven resume but was forced and handcuffed to help implement a flawed scheme with weak personnel under an incompetent HC. The man didn’t forget how to coach. He will go somewhere else and be just fine under a coach that has a clue what he is doing.

Shoop can coach, idgaf about what took place this year in regards to him. The man has a proven resume but was forced and handcuffed to help implement a flawed scheme with weak personnel under an incompetent HC. The man didn’t forget how to coach. He will go somewhere else and be just fine under a coach that has a clue what he is doing.

I’d be more than happy with Shoop and his system.

Advertisement
Glenn Schumann intrigues me but doesn't have experience calling a defense
Jim Knowles from Oklahoma State - everyone knows I've been clamoring for him since he was at Duke - looks like Florida is on him
Mike Tressel from Cincinnati - good track record dating back to Michigan State - probably stays in the Great Lakes region somewhere
Zach Arnett - Miss State - good track record and a good coaching tree but not the scheme that's gonna excite everyone
Kurt Mattix - same tree as Arnett
Jon Heacock from Iowa State - probably top 5 in the country - not sure if someone could get him to leave Iowa State for whatever reason
Doug Belk from Houston - good upcoming name killing it this year
Tony Gibson from NCST - lot of respect for him dating back to West Virginia
Brad Lambert from Purdue - I think he had Marshall as the best D in the country last year and in 1 year took Purdue from the 60s to a top 20 defense

Can’t see any of the guys above other than Shoop whose already here coming to coach for a lame duck coach..

Assume the HC is Mario - he's learned from Saban to hire coordinators that have been Head Coaches - not always but it's a preference
Jim Knowles - former Ivy League head coach
Brad Lambert - jump started the Charlotte program
Muschamp - overrated asf but it's an option
Gary Patterson - doubt he'd want to do it
DJ Durkin - I'd like to take him from Ole Miss but he has his "baggage" - which is bs to me - but he's a great coordinator with HC experience at Maryland

Advertisement

I'm not as versed as the rest of the board on evaluating coaches and systems, but I was pretty content with Shoop coming on as an inexpensive consultant who was still getting paid from his former employer, but if he is trying to give advice on Manny's defensive system, it's like Duff Goldman trying to give advice to someone featured on Cake Wrecks -- you can only do so much when you are working with someone else's product. If we do get a new coach and they decided to retain Shoop to run the D, based on his past experience and how he is regarded around the coaching world, I would be more than happy to see what he could really do with our players in his own system. Again, I'm not the expert here so I believe in staying in my lane, and you can always cherry pick things to criticize about any coach, but he seems to be pretty well-regarded and I'm sure will find a job pretty quickly if we do not retain him.

I hate to ask the obvious question, but what is a defense? I think I remember seeing one a long time ago, but I'm starting to think it was just a dream of being able to stop the other team from scoring.

Advertisement

I don’t get Riley hooking his wagon to Grinch. I don’t see it with him. Like at all.

Advertisement
Although I would love for Shoop to stay on the staff...I don’t want him as our next DC. With that being said, your statement couldn’t be further from the truth lol. Shoop had excellent defenses at Miss. State, but carry on.
Lmao
Manny had it too, also had a good one at UT and at UM...once

Although I would love for Shoop to stay on the staff...I don’t want him as our next DC. With that being said, your statement couldn’t be further from the truth lol. Shoop had excellent defenses at Miss. State, but carry on.
Nope. He had one good year. His second year his defense was #74.

Advertisement
Back