SIAP...Has Lance Roffers posted anything on Gattis?

skeeter

Junior
Premium
Not meant as an attack on LR at all

But you seemed pretty high on Gattis this spring with your breakdowns. Obviously we don't have Michigan's OL yet...But what aren't you seeing right now and where (besides final results) is Gattis dissapoining you? What has changed, what are you seeing more and less of?

I know some basic x and stuff, and the one thing I can say is I don't say many hot routes, so to speak. There is very little short passing game other than a TE in the flat...Everything is intermediate (not much short and not much long and when we do go deep it is almost as a last resort, nothing is deep, and nothing is short and gives anyone a chance in space. It's all intermediate and takes FOREVER to develop. I'm by no means an offensive guru though. So just wondering what LR or any of you film experts can explain here (leaving emotion and captain obvious stuff aside)

Also, is Frank Ponce stealing money? I can understand a QB regressing or not talking well to a new system. But if we call TVD a 7.5 or 8 on a scale of 1-10 (just picking a generic rating system) last November as a college QB (admittedly he did throw all over a soft schedule down the stretch last year), I think we can all agree, regression is a 6. Not the 4 level he is playing at now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I never saw what was so attractive about the Ponce resume to begin with?

The previous QB at App State played his best ball when Ponce went to Lville...And honestly he was more known as a tough leader than anything. Malik Cunningham has always played his best against creampuffs and honestly he curbed the turnovers last year AFTER PONCE LEFT LVILLE...Which can also be chalked up to experience. But then last year Chase Brice was an inaccurate turnover machine?

I'm not saying he ruined any of these kids, because none including Cunningham (excellent runner though) is a star to begin with

But what exactly made Frank Ponce a must get?

Was this really a blatant case of the buddy system?

Last edited:
I never saw what was so attractive about the Ponce resume to begin with?
There wasn’t a single thing at all...

It’s just that he’s from South FL & he’s Mario boy from FIU & at the time of the hire Mario was Deified & no one could question anything he did because any time anyone did they would be burned in effigy by the Cult of Saint Cristobal.

I laughed so hard at how fast people went into spin mode when his name came up as a serious candidate to come here as a QB’s coach, it was legitimately one of the funniest moments this offseason for me.

My boy @who can attest to this, it was like watching fckin Cirque du Soleil seeing people try to rationalize that sh*tty hire lol... Good times man, good times

It’s just that he’s from South FL & he’s Mario boy from FIU & at the time of the hire Mario was Deified & no one could question anything he did because any time anyone did they would be burned in effigy by the Cult of Saint Cristobal.

I laughed so hard at how fast people went into spin mode when his name came up as a serious candidate to come here as a QB’s coach, it was legitimately one of the funniest moments this offseason for me.

My boy @who can attest to this, it was like watching fckin Cirque du Soleil seeing people try to rationalize that sh*tty hire lol... Good times man, good times
Ya I just added to my original post about him above ^^

We are on same page.

Gotta be honest El, I had zero qualms about Ponce as a QB coach here. He has experience in that role and as an OC. World beater, I don't know, but he had Chase Brice humming along. Ready to be a full time OC here, no, but he isn't any worse than Gattis IMHO. It's one year as I haven't bothered looking at his past success or failure, but compared to come of our past QB coaches or OC's, he's not far down the list during this down time.

Advertisement
I should also add a QB coach is dependent on the OC, just like a CB coach is on the DC. They're a support role and if you aren't doing your job as the OC, it doesn't matter what the QB coach did. To add to that, the coordinator is always involved (at least they should be) in every facet of their staff members tutelage. Hope thay makes sense.

The biggest negative of having him as QB coach is that it significantly increases the chances he eventually is our OC.
If he's ONLY ever going to be QB coach here, I really don't see the negative.

Most of these top Qbs have their own actual Qb coach they use...

The biggest negative of having him as QB coach is that it significantly increases the chances he eventually is our OC.
If he's ONLY ever going to be QB coach here, I really don't see the negative.

Most of these top Qbs have their own actual Qb coach they use...
And I would say a major red flag is that TVD is getting QB advice and extra film sessions with Malik Rosier. I think Malik is a great kid but GTFOH on being a qb coach.

Advertisement
Gotta be honest El, I had zero qualms about Ponce as a QB coach here. He has experience in that role and as an OC. World beater, I don't know, but he had Chase Brice humming along. Ready to be a full time OC here, no, but he isn't any worse than Gattis IMHO. It's one year as I haven't bothered looking at his past success or failure, but compared to come of our past QB coaches or OC's, he's not far down the list during this down time.
Brice clearly wasn't "humming along"...

Brice was nothing more than a decent QB for a loaded App State team (by SunBelt standards) despite having 3 of the best 7-8 best WR in the Sun Belt last year, all seniors.

In the only 2 games vs. a Sun Belt D with a pulse last year, ULL...He was 27-56 , 1-2 with less at barely 5 yppass. He also lost 4 fumbles last year.

It’s a mashup of systems on both sides of the ball. I don’t have a problem with Gattis because I actually watched his offenses and understand his influences. It’s heavy James Franklin. But, it’s also what Mario wants. The problem is their is no hires on staff like the ones Lashlee was able to bring in. Same thing in the defensive side. Mirabal is Mario’s guy. The RB coach is transferable to an scheme, just need a recruiter. Ponce is Mario’s guy and he came from a different system. Gattis brought in analysts. But sometimes, that doesn’t translate to on field. Same thing with Steele and the defense. Steele is a 4/3 guy and Strong is a 3/4 guy. Big Joe is a 3/4 guy. Wright was brought in to recruit. And Addae is transferable to any scheme.

People can give their opinions but that’s all they are.

Everyone hated Searles yet he’s a NC winning coach now. Smartest guys in the room discredit/deflect but somehow he remains.

Mario historically has had coaches leave & do great things. That’s all we can really go until guys like Ponce leave here. None of us really know ****.

Chase Brice and Malik Cunningham bro

Advertisement
Canes fans are the best man I swear lmao
When you left me in charge of answering all technical football questions as Goat in Training, I really did try to follow your lead.

1664248289947.gif

Advertisement

If only we hired Coley instead of Gattis.

Ponce-Coley Co-OC 2023!

Advertisement
Back