SIAP:. Devin Hester, Frank Gore, Coker in UM HOF c/o '18

He was gifted the most loaded roster in CFB history and had us at 7 wins within the span of 5 seasons.

How was he gifted it when he was basically second in command when it was assembled?

Newsflash to some of our "fans" here: Coker was on the staff with Butch. He recruited some of those players.

Advertisement
Irrelevant. You're throwing out a bunch of baseless (and obviously misleading, as he sure as **** wasn't HC here for 12 years) statistics and putting no context behind those numbers.

So how the team performs during ones tenure is irrelevant to the HOF?

Sure, guy.

Way to completely misrepresent what I said. You seem to thrive on non-sequiturs and intellectually dishonest arguments.

For some reason, you've shown a propensity to carry water for the cast of characters who contributed to the elongated collapse of our program over the last decade plus in your short time here (I've seen you white knight for Shalala, Paul Dee, and now Coker recently). Not sure how any semi-competent individual can make the arguments that these individuals should be honored for their contributions to our Athletic Department, but to each his own.

I have a propensity for arguing facts and telling the truth.

You're just another in a long line of simpletons who spout cliches because they don't have an original thought.

Advertisement
Not sure how any semi-competent individual can make the arguments that these individuals should be honored for their contributions to our Athletic Department, but to each his own.

I'm fully-competent.

Leave the semi-competent talk for people like you who only know how to bash people.

I'm sure you're hall of fame worthy in your life and/or profession though.

We have four coaches that won championships at UM. They should all go in.

Sorry Butch, maybe you can get in the Browns HOF

Are you seriously implying that the talent and player experience level in 2001 equals the talent and experience level that we have had at The U tor 15+ years?!?!?!

No but our fans seem to think so.

All we've heard every year since 2001 is how we have the talent to win.

And then every year we don't.

Yet people still think coaching doesn't matter.

Advertisement
Way to completely misrepresent what I said. You seem to thrive on non-sequiturs and intellectually dishonest arguments.

How did I misrepresent what you said?

Maybe you should include that next time instead of just the requisite whining.

Coker's win percentage as head coach is better than his win percentage as an assistant. He's going into the HOF as a coach.

You said his numbers as coach are irrelevant.

How exactly was your post misrepresented, again?

We have four coaches that won championships at UM. They should all go in.

Sorry Butch, maybe you can get in the Browns HOF

Exactly.

Butch played a huge part but he made his choice. He would rather have been the next fired head coach of the Browns then a HOF coach at Miami.

Coker did immeasurable damage to our program in an almost unthinkable amount of time.

Like what?

People like you were whining about 9-3 seasons being the worst......and that's when it got worse.

We were only truly bad when Coker bowed to the pressure and fired almost all of his assistants. Only then did 7-6, 5-7, etc. happen.

I'll address all your responses since you seem to be incapable of responding in one post.

Your argument about the team going to 7-6/5-7 because Coker "bowed to the pressure and fired almost all of his assistants" is non-testable. There's no way to prove we were not destined for a 7-6 season regardless of the changes being made or not. You also have no idea what I was "whining" about. Same goes for your argument about him being Butch's OC and thus responsible for the assembly of the roster. There have been many coordinators throughout the years who have failed without the support of a strong head coach, both at Miami and across the country. There's also no evidence I've seen that shows that Coker drove any of Butch's recruiting evaluations or was by any means renowned on the recruiting trail. Last point, what is off about my comment of Coker presiding over a large portion of the Shapiro scandal? Point me where that is an incorrect statement since apparently I'm such a neanderthal I can't even "assign blame" properly.

Let's face it, in 3 months on here, you've gloated about being banned from here multiple times and have managed to try to attack and belittle the intelligence of multiple people on here. For someone who constantly ****posts threads, trashes players and posters (for those who sat through the garbage you threw at Jeff Thomas comes to mind), and parades around like an enlightened intellectual, you sure are the logical fallacy king. You seem extremely malcontent, I'd talk to professional if you need a release because a Miami Hurricanes Message Board sure as **** can't be the best place.

Last edited:
Are you seriously implying that the talent and player experience level in 2001 equals the talent and experience level that we have had at The U tor 15+ years?!?!?!

No but our fans seem to think so.

All we've heard every year since 2001 is how we have the talent to win.

And then every year we don't.

Yet people still think coaching doesn't matter.

Coaching matters bro. I won't lie; I temporarily bought into the idea that it didn't, but Randy Shannon proved me otherwise.

That being said, if there was ever an exception to this rule, it would have to be the 2001 team.

Advertisement

How did I misrepresent what you said?

Maybe you should include that next time instead of just the requisite whining.

Coker's win percentage as head coach is better than his win percentage as an assistant. He's going into the HOF as a coach.

You said his numbers as coach are irrelevant.

How exactly was your post misrepresented, again?

Simply looking at his record and checking that off as the only metric needed to determine whether Coker is deserving of being honored as a member of our HOF is so foolish and rudimentary. It's a one dimensional approach to a complex era in our history, and completely ignores the on and off field ramifications of his tenure, as mentioned. It's akin to looking an NFL GM simply looking at an NCAA D-1 stat sheet and determining his draft picks based on who put up the best numbers on paper.

Your argument about the team going to 7-6/5-7 because Coker "bowed to the pressure and fired almost all of his assistants" is non-testable.

That's cute but this isn't science.

We actually had a pretty good coaching staff and he was forced to overreact to the LSU loss.

The result was a coach who seemed to be on the hot-seat trying to save his job. Therefore, the quality of guys willing to jump aboard taht ship was low.

So we got Rich Olson, Todd Berry, etc.

Kyle Wright, who played his best football in 2005, was forced to play for his 3rd different offensive coordinator.

And so on.

Advertisement
Last point, what is off about my comment of Coker presiding over a large portion of the Shapiro scandal? Point me where that is an incorrect statement since apparently I'm such a neanderthal I can't even "assign blame" properly.

I never said it was incorrect.

You don't seem to read these posts at all.

I insinuated that you were bad at assigning blame.

So winning percentage is irrelevant for a head coach but scandals that started are totally relevant.

And if a coach is there for wins it's irrelevant but if he's there for scandal it's totally relevant.

Good one.

Simply looking at his record and checking that off as the only metric needed to determine whether Coker is deserving of being honored as a member of our HOF is so foolish and rudimentary. It's a one dimensional approach to a complex era in our history, and completely ignores the on and off field ramifications of his tenure, as mentioned.

I disagree and so does the Miami Sports HOF.

But your objection is noted.

Advertisement
Back