SIAP Bubba Mcdowell

Advertisement
Nice.

I'm too lazy to even try to compile it but it would be cool if we had a master list somewhere of all the former Canes still employed in football.

Get all the front office NFL guys and then guys like McDowell now and Tiger Clark as HCs at smaller schools.

Advertisement
Nice.

I'm too lazy to even try to compile it but it would be cool if we had a master list somewhere of all the former Canes still employed in football.

Get all the front office NFL guys and then guys like McDowell now and Tiger Clark as HCs at smaller schools.
It’s cool to where guys end up . I just saw it thru Twitter the other day I guess Ryan Williams (QB transfer from Memphis) and Rashawn Scott are both on UGAs staff

My Steelers had quite the rivalry with them back when Glanville was there. They had good teams with Warren Moon, Haywood Jeffries, Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak and of course Zo and McDowell.
Oh yes, maybe I'm old but football just seemed better back then.

Warren Moon played for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL, they won a lot of Grey Cups early 80's and of course me being from Edmonton followed Moon down and that's basically why I became an Oilers fan.

When they hired Buddy Ryan as D coord I thought for sure they would go to Super Bowl, then Joe Montana pulls a rabbit out of his assss in the Wild Card game and beats them.

Buddy punching Kevin Gilbride was amazing

Football was certainly better back then. Players had character, were guys just like all of us, but had an athletic game the everyday guy didn't have. They were real, sincere, and a love for the game. It wasn't a PC world like it is now and they spoke their mind and the love of team with its rivalries was real, but at the end of the day there was also respect.

Now, there's some real players and people out there. They're fewer and farther between. They chase the money and cater to what people want to hear. They chase the money like never before and there's very little loyalty. Their stardom is elevated like never before as well and it makes them largely unrelatable to most.

There's all kinds of reasons for that, it's the world we live in now. As much as technology brings the world closer, it's much more impersonal.

Oh yes, maybe I'm old but football just seemed better back then.

Warren Moon played for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL, they won a lot of Grey Cups early 80's and of course me being from Edmonton followed Moon down and that's basically why I became an Oilers fan.

When they hired Buddy Ryan as D coord I thought for sure they would go to Super Bowl, then Joe Montana pulls a rabbit out of his assss in the Wild Card game and beats them.

Buddy punching Kevin Gilbride was amazing
It didn't land but was still one of the highlights of my NFL watching youth!

Advertisement
Football was certainly better back then. Players had character, were guys just like all of us, but had an athletic game the everyday guy didn't have. They were real, sincere, and a love for the game. It wasn't a PC world like it is now and they spoke their mind and the love of team with its rivalries was real, but at the end of the day there was also respect.

Now, there's some real players and people out there. They're fewer and farther between. They chase the money and cater to what people want to hear. They chase the money like never before and there's very little loyalty. Their stardom is elevated like never before as well and it makes them largely unrelatable to most.

There's all kinds of reasons for that, it's the world we live in now. As much as technology brings the world closer, it's much more impersonal.
Animated GIF

Ice Storm Snow GIF by Elle

Surprised they didn’t fold that program after losing 80 straight.

I did a story on him long ago for Canestime. Really enjoyed talking to him, told me some great stories (including the famous one where Jimmy threatened everyone's scholarships after a bad practice)

Bubba was an extremely underrated player. Great special teams guy. His chase down of Sammie Smith vs FSU in 87 was incredible. Then you had the 2-pt conversion he broke up that sealed the game. Had a nice long, productive NFL run

Good to see him doing well...

Advertisement
That’s the biggest difference I’d say. A few others:

1) Far less training camp time makes for offensively ragged teams in the first quarter of the season, or just overall bad footballs. It also greatly raises the barrier to entry for rookies, particularly undrafted ones

2) Far less passion for one’s team and almost no rivalries. Back in 1996 after the final game of the season some Jets players wanted to hang out after the game and Jimmy Johnson screamed at them to go back to their own team. Brian Cox HATED the Bills. He was also so offended by an opposing coach that he volunteered taking him out on an upcoming sideline play to an amused/horrified Don Shula. None of that would happen today. It’s just a business, and the upper level players all seem to be friends. Bad play happens and there is smiling on the sidelines.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back