SIAP - 6 pack from the Athletic

BostonCanes47

Senior
Good article from manny Navarro in the Athletic today. If you don’t have a subscription, it’s 100% worth the investment.

Anyway, some interesting quotes and tidbits that caught my attention. Manny isn’t talking like a guy who expects to be fired next week. Im not advocating for Manny and not saying he should/will be back. His quotes caught my attention that’s it.

“Recruits understand,” Diaz said. “What we talk to recruits about is the volatility of college football right now — not just with the jobs open now, but the jobs that are going to change to fill the jobs that are open. It’s a very, very volatile time and there’s a lot of things happening. One of the silly things about our schedule is that we stick a signing day two weeks after jobs open and close. …

“It puts recruiting in a terrible bind. But at the same time, we’ve had great responses. We’ve had players committed to other schools, I’m talking about top, top schools who have called us and say, ‘Coach, we’re not so sure. We kind of want to see Miami again this December.’”

“I think they look at us the same way our players look at us. They want to understand. They see the team, they see a team that is improving, they see the way we played in the second half of the season compared to the way we played the first half of the season.”

As great as Van Dyke has been, when asked about his quarterback doing things never done before at Miami, Diaz said we must “respect different eras.”

“More snaps in the game. Certainly, the game tilts toward offensive football, tempo, those type of things,” Diaz noted. “I think it’s phenomenal that we have an offensive system now here at the University of Miami that can create the type of numbers — not just at quarterback, but guys like Rambo, who’s got a chance to break records. Harley’s got a chance to break career records here. You want to be able to recruit to that …

“But, yes, it has been impressive what Tyler’s done and he deserves a lot of credit. As I mentioned too, everybody’s playing very well around our quarterback, and we have a much more well-balanced offense than we had for sure at the very beginning of the season and absolutely more so than a year ago.”

Aside from the extra practices, Diaz said playing in a bowl environment is good for the future. “This time next year, whether it’s playing in Charlotte (for the ACC championship), playing in whatever bowl game it is — we’ve got to get used to winning bowl games,” Diaz said.

Advertisement
“I think they look at us the same way our players look at us. They want to understand. They see the team, they see a team that is improving, they see the way we played in the second half of the season compared to the way we played the first half of the season.”

I would also think they want to understand how a pre-season Top 15 team was so bad in the first half of the season.

But I digress...

Advertisement
I think he's trying to keep it professional and continue to do the job as long as he has the job.....as he should. Again, as I said before, every time a mic is thrown his way CMD is smart enough to realize that other prospective job openings will turn on the tape and see how he handled the end of his tenure at UM and use that as a first impression of his level of professionalism when things aren't going his way.

Manny is so detached from reality it’s wild.

Really strikes me as a guy who folks made excuses for him everytime he fell short of the mark.

I get defending your kids in public.

But behind closed doors there accountability.

And I just dont see it with him.

I think that Manny has some good personality traits but his acceptance of excuses just doesn’t help his cause.

Advertisement
Season 2 Insult GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Advertisement
Nothing really that insightful but thanks for sharing. Manny isn't gonna go out there and say that he doesn't expect to NOT be back.

Advertisement
This guy no longer has his floaties compliments of Blake James and is flailing around in the deep end of the pool

Advertisement
Back