SI story: Clemson sign stealing

Advertisement
Clemson plays for the Natty every year. We (and any team serious about winning) should be doing this. Instead we have analysts to track the "spontaneous positive reaction to teammate success."

Who says we are not doing this? I don’t think you, nor I actually know.

The difference with Clemson is their massive budget and the massive staff they have assigned to do just this.

Advertisement
Clemson plays for the Natty every year. We (and any team serious about winning) should be doing this. Instead we have analysts to track the "spontaneous positive reaction to teammate success."
As a baseball coach I can tell you every team does it. Why do you think they have multiple guys and cards to signal in signs? So its harder to steal them. If Clemson is better at it you need to change your signs. I have a couple football coach buddies and they can tell you the play ( run or pass) by watching the O line. Its part of the game. Now video taping is a different story.

I was about to remark, good luck stealing signs against team like Bama and Clemson with their dozens of 'analysts'.

We obviously try to steal signs - I would guess just like everyone else. Otherwise not every single football team in the country would have those big signs with pictures of hamburgers or people or different things.

So yeah, just like I said before, the difference is the number of people you have allocated to be able to match up different tendencies and sideline demeanors, as well as the sign themselves, to different plays. That requires a lot of man hours, and man hours require money, an asset which is not equal across-the-board

We obviously try to steal signs - I would guess just like everyone else. Otherwise not every single football team in the country would have those big signs with pictures of hamburgers or people or different things.

So yeah, just like I said before, the difference is the number of people you have allocated to be able to match up different tendencies and sideline demeanors, as well as the sign themselves, to different plays. That requires a lot of man hours, and man hours require money, an asset which is not equal across-the-board
When I was there, we had 2+ people each game on both sides of the ball trying to steal signs. one person focusing on drawing out the play, and the other trying to write down all the signs they are seeing from the sideline.

Advertisement
This only becomes a story when you’re successful like Clemson. As a Patriots fan who’s had to endure plenty of these stories, I can’t help but roll my eyes. Everyone does it, people only care when it’s the team atop the hill.

If you're not trying to steal signs, you aren't doing your job. That said, as @OriginalCanesCanesCanes has intimated, the ability to analyze and go over signs is proportional to monied staff. Also, within the game, you have very limited time to put sign stealing knowledge into any practical use between plays.

Silly discussion frankly.

Advertisement
As a baseball coach I can tell you every team does it. Why do you think they have multiple guys and cards to signal in signs? So its harder to steal them. If Clemson is better at it you need to change your signs. I have a couple football coach buddies and they can tell you the play ( run or pass) by watching the O line. Its part of the game. Now video taping is a different story.
This times 1000x. Even on the high school level, sign stealing goes on. It’s up to the staff to change cadence, formation, and signals on a weekly to prevent this game of chess. But recording teams practices & what not is completely unethical. The sign stealing has been going around for longer than many of us have been around.

Funny how some of the most hateful people want to apply morals and character to sports, but not other aspects of society. If they figure out your signals, ALL teams use it to their advantage. Figuring out opponent signals ain't cheating, it's being sharp.

LOL at sign stealing. If you're running a tempo offense there's no time to steal signs unless they have Bobby Fisher stashed on the sidelines. Lashlee got his *** handed to him. Ain't no one stealing his signs.

****, you’ve been crushing Lashlee like he’s Enos or something. So he’s such a terrible OC nobody would consider stealing his signs?

This board thinks we have the worst HC plus the worst OC/DC combo in college football history. I’m dumbfounded as to how we’re 5-1 then.

Advertisement
Every single team. in every single sport does this. This is not news. Now Ole goat Bill does it the best. this no surprise. The only surprise is that ppl are surprised. If you use signals it’s the other teams responsibility to decipher them..within the rules of course
1604695801857.gif

They’re out here stealing signs and we haven’t even decided who we want up in the booth yet

This only becomes a story when you’re successful like Clemson. As a Patriots fan who’s had to endure plenty of these stories, I can’t help but roll my eyes. Everyone does it, people only care when it’s the team atop the hill.
Not all teams deflate footballs.

Advertisement
Back