SI article on opt-outs featuring Rousseau

Advertisement
Wait, the kid quit on his team and the University for his own benefit, and you are shocked fans are negative on it because he represents UM so well? How does sitting on your sofa and using COVID as an excuse represent UM, or yourself, 'so well'? Just because the kid initially chose UM means we are suppose to be fans of his for life, regardless of anything else that happens? I would have more respect if he was just honest about why he sat out. The BS is worse than just thinking about himself. I don't root for bs'ers. This millennial generation seems to think that doing what's best for you vs doing what's best for others around you is a positive trait. That's why everyone else hates your generation.

bc weve seen no one gives a **** about you from your generation and weve learned that we are the only ones looking after ourselves. thats why we hate you old *****. also, pretty sure greg is a gen z not a millennial

Regardless of the reasoning it's another good cautionary tale for young Canes who see their names plastered on early ESPN mock drafts.

Also remains to be seen if Micah Parsons gets the draft capital he was expecting when he opted out, and his 2019 film is elite.
He has a bunch of off-field stuff and plays a less valuable position. I think he drops to the teens, but it just takes one.

Rousseau probably goes in 30’s, Phillips in 20’s, Roche in 80’s.

Don’t see how the opt-outs- in general- don’t pay a penalty for opting-out. Regardless if you agree with it or not, taking a year away from football adds risk.

He opted out because his mom was a COVID nurse and she begged him to do it.

Obviously, it was not the best football decision. He would’ve gotten double-digit sacks in his sleep and been a lock Top 10 pick. Now he’s looking at a potential Calais Campbell situation.
Exactly. Nobody should ever criticize him for making a family based decision, and those that attacked him are POS. That said, I sure as **** didn’t want him to do it as a fan and for his draft prospects. Always playing for the second contract really though...he will have his shot

Regardless of the circumstance its definitely a legitimate question when it comes to that type interview . That's the job of the guys who get paid to do those face to face interviews to ask those type questions, so I have no problem asking it.

He shouldn't have been terribly surprised either and if anyone had is best interest, they would have let him know to expect it, and think how he would answer.
Definitely legitimate.

Advertisement
My response was to a porster who made the overbroad statement that 'character does not matter, only talent does.' Those players were merely meant as examples of hyper-talented knuckleheads who nonetheless failed in the NFL to underscore the absurdity of his statement (and the implication in an earlier post that thorough interviews are only necessary for people seeking public office). It was pretty clear that I was not attempting to find/list comparable persons in a similar circumstance to GR who busted in the NFL because there simply is no historical precedent for this. Players who opted out because of COVID-19 concerns represent a unique situation in the history of the NFL draft and college football.

As far as the bolded portion, and as I alluded to in my post, I suspect that is precisely what the interview process and due diligence undertaken by these NFL teams, their coaches, GMs, and scouts will attempt to uncover. At the end of the day, GR made a choice that he believed was in his best interest. And he absolutely has every right to make that choice for himself, no matter how much we would have all loved to watch him suit up last season. But the fact is the overwhelming majority of draft-eligible college football players made a different choice. Exploring that choice and the reasons behind it for GR (along with Parsons and the other opt outs) is not only reasonable, but I'd argue failing to do so would be negligent.

It may well be that every single kid who opted out had legitimate concerns over their health and well-being because of the COVID-19 pandemic. But it is also possible that they thought it would be wise to protect their draft stock by avoiding potential injury, sickness, or poor performance and, on the balance, decided against playing the season on that basis. Assuming either at face value would be silly, and I expect it will largely fall on these kids, their teammates, and their coaches to convince the NFL that they opted out because of the former (health concerns) and not the latter (fear of slipping in the draft). Anyone who is surprised or (worse yet) upset that GR or any of the opt outs would be questioned at length by interested teams regarding their decision to opt out is simply being unrealistic.
Exactly...and very likely people who have never owned a company or been in charge of hiring for a company. Whatever people may think of the NFL or certain scouts, etc...their job is to take ALL factors into consideration. These race based theories and other hyped up garbage is just bull****.

It is what he is tagged an opt out player during tough times.

The question of opting out will haunt him his whole career.

Welcome to adulthood in decision making.

Advertisement
A lot more buzz lately that GR will for sure go 1st round.

he may go first, secnd, sixth, seventh. there will be a ton of smoke intentionally put out there by teams to media/agents/etc. for draft posturing. take it all with a grain of salt esp as we move closer

A lot more buzz lately that GR will for sure go 1st round.
we need both he and phillips to go first. dont need any fans touting i told you see bs on either case (whether both go first one does or neither). we need both to go first w this DE class this cycle.

Well we have 2 for sure in GR and Chase
There are multiple guys who opted out projected first round still. I still don't get how opting out is only a question for Greg? Even NFL players opted out. There was a pandemic and people made decisions they felt were best for them and their family. Normally some of you would have a point but to treat this as a normal situation doesn't make any sense at this point when in general life still isn't completely back to pre-covid. I know people who still aren't working or are still working from home.

Advertisement
This tweet came in response to a Kiper/McShay mock draft that had GR15 going 56th to Seattle
Drew doing his job, not sure if true or not but it wouldn't surprise me if someone takes a chance on him in the first. It's a weak year for edge rushers and it's a high value position. Won't be surprised if someone "reached" on Greg in the first.

Nope. I'm told by the CIS Experts he's a 2nd to 3rd round pick now. LOL

Drew could look most people straight in the face and tell the most believable lie. Legit or not, you can't use an agent, in particular the players agent, as accurate and reliable information. It's his job to make his client seem like the most desirable player in the draft. Even if the buzz is that he's dropping, it's Drew's job to say he's climbing......even if it's a lie. I have no idea what the truth is.

The over/under on Jaelen Phillips pick is 21.5 with equal vig on both sides. Dolphins should take him if he’s there 18th, I don’t want to hear any nonsense about scheme fit, you take BPA.

Advertisement
Drew could look most people straight in the face and tell the most believable lie. Legit or not, you can't use an agent, in particular the players agent, as accurate and reliable information. It's his job to make his client seem like the most desirable player in the draft. Even if the buzz is that he's dropping, it's Drew's job to say he's climbing......even if it's a lie. I have no idea what the truth is.

Yup. And ironically, the best evidence that he's dropping is his agent coming out saying stuff like this.

We have Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence (first round locks) vocal about playing this season, while Rousseau opts out. I always felt that opting out would hurt Rousseau draft stock and money, but that said, I think Rousseau will have a great NFL career and those who passed on Rousseau will regret it. Rousseau made a mistake and maybe listened to the wrong people, but he will recover and surprise people when he gets to the NFL

Advertisement
Back