SI Article on First Year Impact Coaches

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
The usual caveats aside ("F Sports Illustrated", "national writers don't know anything", etc), I like to get the non-fan (or dedicated reporter's) thoughts on the expectations for Miami. I don't know who Joan Niesen is, but her take seems pretty reasonable:

Which first-year coach is in the best position to make an impact in year one?

Joan Niesen: I like Miami's Manny Diaz. He’s inheriting a talented team that looked listless last season—and never more so than in its 35–3 bowl-game loss to Wisconsin, which wasn’t exactly having a banner season itself. Diaz is plenty familiar with the program and the players he’s working with, and his relative youth and energy have set a new tone with the program. Diaz’s first year will see Miami improve upon its 7–6 record from a season ago, and the ACC Coastal remains wide open. Even if the Hurricanes win it and get clobbered by Clemson in the conference championship game, that’ll be a huge step in the right direction.

Advertisement
Disagree that getting to Charlotte and getting "clobbered" by Clemson would be a "huge step in the right direction". My personal floor for this season is getting to Charlotte and at least being competitive against Clemson. Seems trivial, but that's a critical difference IMO.

Advertisement
Disagree that getting to Charlotte and getting "clobbered" by Clemson would be a "huge step in the right direction". My personal floor for this season is getting to Charlotte and at least being competitive against Clemson. Seems trivial, but that's a critical difference IMO.

Absolutely.....that is an asinine statement.....Miami never benefits from getting "clobbered".

We don't need Joan Niesen to tell us what we already know on CIS. And **** Clemson already.

Advertisement
Advertisement
i swear its like a reflex when articles are posted. anything from SI we get the automatic ***** SI. i thought it was a pretty insightful comment by the guy they asked.

Pretty sure they were being sarcastic b/c of the caveat in my original post.

Advertisement

Absolutely, but I guess it depends on what 'clobbered' means. Clemson absolutely clobbered Alabama last year in the Championship game and even though I think we will be better than this year and expect that we could do better than a 44-16 loss, I don't think it's realistic that in one year we are going to go from 7-6 and getting clobbered by Wisconsin to giving Clemson a legitimate scare in a game of that importance.

I do think that there is absolutely no reason that we shouldn't be able to win the Coastal.

Not taken aback from the SI article, it does shed some good light on Miami for once. But I’ll never forgive their previous work on shelling out the death penalty for the U.

Absolutely, but I guess it depends on what 'clobbered' means. Clemson absolutely clobbered Alabama last year in the Championship game and even though I think we will be better than this year and expect that we could do better than a 44-16 loss, I don't think it's realistic that in one year we are going to go from 7-6 and getting clobbered by Wisconsin to giving Clemson a legitimate scare in a game of that importance.

I do think that there is absolutely no reason that we shouldn't be able to win the Coastal.

Agreed. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be the ACC Coastal this year, especially with our schedule. But with that said, we’ve said this in the past and only have completed the mission once in 2017. Hopefully the retooling of the secondary, better OL play, and the most important - QB play will work. We get these 3 things ironed out and we can give Clemson a decent go at it.

Several things will ALWAYS be TRUE to a die-hard Canes’ fan: SI sucks, BSPN sucks, Mark Emmert should die in a fire, Rick Reilly should always get the treatment Chuck Todd gave him a few month’s ago, and “THERE IS NOTHING LOWER THAN A GATOR”(Bless you, Coach ‘SKi!)

Advertisement
Back