Should any of our WR move to corner?

Advertisement
We’ve got some excellent talent at WR. We are also very deep at WR. However, we’ve had some guys who are very athletic but seem to struggle catching the ball. Wiggins and Harley come to mind. Both of these guys are physical blockers so scrapping it up doesn’t seem an issue. Not sure about their hips. Would it be a bad idea to give these guys looks at corner?

You are working overtime to justify your log-in name.

Advertisement
Generally no, but wouldn't it be great if you could teach an Njoku or someone of that size how to defend a fade in a critical spot?
usatsi_11817621.jpg

We’ve got some excellent talent at WR. We are also very deep at WR. However, we’ve had some guys who are very athletic but seem to struggle catching the ball. Wiggins and Harley come to mind. Both of these guys are physical blockers so scrapping it up doesn’t seem an issue. Not sure about their hips. Would it be a bad idea to give these guys looks at corner?

Good question. Sorry a UM football board needed to have every person thinking they were funny enough for Saturday Night Live or the horrendous Colbertf/Kimmel/Maher shows show their stupidity. So back to UM football; their is an old adage that a CB is a WR that does not catch well. I think you are on target with Wiggins. He shows the speed and athhetic ability to get open then does not catch the ball. Whether CB of Safety, you are on to a smart approach. See Sam Sheilds. Is certainly worth a try and see how it progresses. A change to DB was not a bad thing for Sheilds.

WR is a big question mark along with OL and QB. Sure there's some talent there but not much production. We'll need to see who emerges after fall camp and then maybe consider switching someone's position if the need arises.

I think Sam Shields played WR all through HS and 3 years of college. Switched to CB his senior year. It might be challenging, but it's not unprecedented. That being said, I don't know if either Wiggins or Harley are the best candidates though to switch sides. If we are throwing names out, how about Robert Burns, there is only about a 1% chance he will contribute anyways. Since he is made of glass, maybe CB would be easier on his body than RB.
Shields also played in defense in HS

Advertisement
That's assuming moving them to a position they've never played before would make them a better player, which I can assure it wouldn't.

And Wiggins is only a Sophomore, it's crazy premature to even mention moving him to another position when he hasn't even fully maturated yet as a WR.

Neither of them know the proper technique, footwork or natural instincts to play CB, but yeah let's throw them out there on the island at CB because it's not like they would struggle trying to cover other ACC caliber WR's.

We haven't played a single snap in the season yet, maybe you guys are overreacting...
I agree, for the most part. Wiggins reminds me of Hankerson, always open but drops a ton of passes. If he can get it fixed he will be a real problem.

The only thing I disagree with is that you said they have never played corner but then went on to say they don’t have the natural instincts. You don’t know what instincts they have for the position until they try it.

I don’t think we are in a position that we need to try to switch someone. Let the kids develop.

Advertisement
WR is a big question mark along with OL and QB. Sure there's some talent but not much production. We'll need to see who emerges after fall camp and then maybe consider switching someone's position if the need arises.

Lmao @ moving Wiggins or Harley to CB...

Neither one of them have ever played DB even in HS for 7v7 ball, but move them to CB in college while they've already spent all their training & reps at WR.

Smh lol, gotta love this board.

I get your point about previous experience but it isn't a crazy question. NFL draft is littered with lanky corners who converted from receiver. Isaiah Johnson and Justin Layne two good examples. Someone like Wiggins would have to at least consider it if he falls down the depth chart, especially given his issues catching the ball.

Advertisement
I think Derrick Smith could actually do a job at corner if we get desperate. As a freshman he played in the slot a bit and made a few nice plays against Clemson and others. He's long enough and maybe even fast enough, so I think he's actually the best candidate on the roster to move over to corner even though we might want him more at Safety

Advertisement
Back