Shemar Stewart Perspective

Adding Shemar to that DL room would have made it **** near elite in 2023. (Kelly-LT-Roberts-Shemar) Sucks we wont see that happen.

THAT SAID, the pressure of living up to that 1M deal, being away from home, pressure to be on a team that is in "we need some ROI on this 30M investment so we need to win NOW" mode...kid like this might transfer out in 2 years. Someone said his Jr year after he got hurt they questioned his mental toughness. Well, he is about to get tested like no other at college station. They didnt pay him to flash his gold teeth and make zero impact on Saturdays.

On to 2023!
It will be a $120M or greater investment by 2025. The $30M was just for this batch of recruits. Imagine stacking three more classes on top of it.

NY Yankees (2022): $211M
NFL Salary Cap: $208M
Texas A&M NIL (2025): $120M (est)
NBA Salary Cap: $112M
NHL Salary Cap: $82.5M

Advertisement
This is more of an indictment of our coaching/development over the last decade. But i hear your point.

100% right, ultimately it's very tough for one guy to make a difference in the Win column, I think most people (myself included) aren't even really thinking about that with these elite local recruits - just thinking more about the optics of keeping studs home/ the moral boost it gives - but ultimately it's really just important to have good players and depth across the board, especially at key positions with each class (something we haven't done in forever). If we can combine Mario's ability to do that with quality on field coaching (especially coordinators) we should be in good hands. Win some extra games and more of these guys will come, though there will always be guys who go and chase the biggest bag out there/just wanna get away (even elite coaches miss out on guys). However it feels like we've been saying some iteration of this over the last 15+ years so I understand the frustration lol.

Go canes
Exactly you can’t have some bum fck college in the middle of nowhere Texas come swoop in and take your best recruit.

At least we were there at the end. We would have saved *** To Mouth a couple of bags if Mandy was still the coach.

It will be a $120M or greater investment by 2025. The $30M was just for this batch of recruits. Imagine stacking three more classes on top of it.

It’s headed that way. And these caps that people talk about - who’s going to enforce them? The ncaa (aka sec)?

Advertisement
The Shemar sting aint hurt as much because we landed Nyjalik Kelly who I honestly wanted from day 1.

Nyjallik at times during recruitment was neck and neck as a prospect. The one difference is Shemar gained weight and kept his athleticism as a sr. But Nyjalikk Kelly IS THAT DUDE.

Before the szn is aid LAND 1 of the elite local DE'S and we did just that. Shemar would of been cherry on top.
I just preferred Kelly also. Not just for sour grapes reasons either. He’s a legit 4-3 pass rushing end whereas Stewart’s best trait might be his position versatility that HE DOESNT WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF. Imagine having a DE rotation down the line with Kelly, Moss and Stewart and on passing downs kicking Stewart (who’s already **** near 300lbs) inside but he refuses to play inside? Idk man. I’m seeing a return in the portal in a year for him anyway

I know this feels like a big miss now. He would've been our highest ranked recruit in this class. And maybe he blows up at Texas A&M and becomes a big miss. But he might bust.

Look at the top recruit in our class since 2010:

2010 - Seantrel Henderson #1
2011 - Anthony Chickillo #22
2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2018 - Lorenzo Lingard #25
2019 - Jeremiah Payton #54
2020 - Avante Williams #45
2021 - Leonard Taylor #11
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Williams/Taylor/Moss are TBD. There's some nice players, but I think Duke Johnson is really the only guy who actually moved the needle for us in Wins & Losses.

My point is a class is bigger than any one recruit. Mario was able to get Top 100 guys like Moss/Kelly/Skinner - and it's usually that volume vs a single player that makes the difference. Just keep stacking.
While reading your first sentence I was thinking of replying back with the words of your second sentence lol. Well said my friend, well said!

Won't lie wish I could have joined in on the call to the coaches when he said he wasn't coming. Lol he said it didn't go good shaking his head. Wonder what was said

I just preferred Kelly also. Not just for sour grapes reasons either. He’s a legit 4-3 pass rushing end whereas Stewart’s best trait might be his position versatility that HE DOESNT WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF. Imagine having a DE rotation down the line with Kelly, Moss and Stewart and on passing downs kicking Stewart (who’s already **** near 300lbs) inside but he refuses to play inside? Idk man. I’m seeing a return in the portal in a year for him anyway
I mean Stewart can play DE in College... just in a 3-4.

Advertisement
We went from 70s to top 15 and #1 in the state in 60ish days with no staff two of whom left and a coach who is also tasked with revamping our football program administratively, institutionally, logistically, monetarily and culture wise.

My perspective is clear. Mario gets the benefit of the doubt.

Duke also had an NFL OL in front of him, that no one would have guessed based on recruiting rankings sort of.

Duke's OL was talented and that definitely helped.

But what I like to point out is, look at Duke's yards per carry compared to other NFL RB's in the same backfield:

2012 - Duke 6.8, Mike James 4.2
2013 - Duke 6.3, Gus Edwards 5.1
2014 - Duke 6.8, Gus Edwards 5.7

Duke was consistently better than other NFL RB's behind the same OL, and that made him special. Good RB's get what the OL creates for them, but great RB's can create for themselves.

Last edited:
Duke's OL was talented and that definitely helped.

But what I like to point out is, look at Duke's yards per carry compared to other RB's in the same backfield:

2012 - Duke 6.8, Mike James 4.2
2013 - Duke 6.3, Gus Edwards 5.1
2014 - Duke 6.8, Gus Edwards 5.7

Duke was consistently better than other NFL RB's behind the same OL, and that made him special. Good RB's get what the OL creates for them, but great RB's can create for themselves.
Completely agree my man.
He was exceptional, surprised he was undervalued and used in the NFL.

Pretty sure the $30M is a 4 year commitment, not $30M for 1 year for this year's class. But your point is still a good one.

Advertisement
Pretty sure the $30M is a 4 year commitment, not $30M for 1 year for this year's class. But your point is still a good one.
I am pretty sure he meant that if TAMU duplicates this with the next 3 classes it will be a $120 million dollar investment. My guess is that Jimbo will be gone long before they pay out all that money. This will not end well for TAMU!

FB_IMG_1643997287239.jpg

Beating a dead horse a bit but just noticed that in his annoucement video from this angle at the 13:38-13:45 mark you can literally hear him say "I wish" to picking Miami lol. Moe signed, sealed, and delivered him to A&M. He's ours in a year in the portal if we want him

Advertisement

Beating a dead horse a bit but just noticed that in his annoucement video from this angle at the 13:38-13:45 mark you can literally hear him say "I wish" to picking Miami lol. Moe signed, sealed, and delivered him to A&M. He's ours in a year in the portal if we want him

I took the bag pretty much, he can never change this decision. **** sucks when u want to be home but u cant

Moe enjoying his cash & lifetime croquetas ATM promised him. Hopefully shemar finds a way to cut the 💵 sooner than later, even if he never comes back here via portal.

Advertisement
Back