Shemar Stewart Perspective

Advertisement
The Shemar sting aint hurt as much because we landed Nyjalik Kelly who I honestly wanted from day 1.

Nyjallik at times during recruitment was neck and neck as a prospect. The one difference is Shemar gained weight and kept his athleticism as a sr. But Nyjalikk Kelly IS THAT DUDE.

Before the szn is aid LAND 1 of the elite local DE'S and we did just that. Shemar would of been cherry on top.
Stewart is going to be a 30 front DE in Coach Jerkin's defense. Only problem is he does not know it yet...lol.

The Shemar sting aint hurt as much because we landed Nyjalik Kelly who I honestly wanted from day 1.

Nyjallik at times during recruitment was neck and neck as a prospect. The one difference is Shemar gained weight and kept his athleticism as a sr. But Nyjalikk Kelly IS THAT DUDE.

Before the szn is aid LAND 1 of the elite local DE'S and we did just that. Shemar would of been cherry on top.
SS is big but Kelly first step is unmatched.......Kelly is a demon pass rusher and no slouch.

Flawed thinking. You can’t compare positions. OL requires teammates to help or you’ll still suck as a team and etc. most positions are like this.

Easiest to hardest to single-handedly effect W/L’s.

1.QB
2.DL
3.RB
4.WR
5.DB
6.LB
7.OL

Advertisement
2010 - Seantrel Henderson #1
2011 - Anthony Chickillo #22
2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2018 - Lorenzo Lingard #25
2019 - Jeremiah Payton #54
2020 - Avante Williams #45
2021 - Leonard Taylor #11
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Williams/Taylor/Moss are TBD. There's some nice players, but I think Duke Johnson is really the only guy who actually moved the needle for us in Wins & Losses.

My point is a class is bigger than any one recruit. Mario was able to get Top 100 guys like Moss/Kelly/Skinner - and it's usually that volume vs a single player that makes the difference. Just keep stacking.
It is really tough to say what effect missing some of those players would have had though, but if a player used the snaps they got here to get drafted, they should probably be in the "moved the needle" category unless that is only reserved for all American type performances. Sure, we hope guys are first round picks, but seantrel, chick, aqm, chad, walton all made an nfl roster for at least some time based on what they did here.

All that said, I agree with the general premise that we simply need more top100 type players on the roster.

10+ top 300 kids make more impact than 1 top 10 kid. Im with it.

Only thing that sucks about losing those top locals *other than losing them* is the perception of it, but oh well what's new with that? I trust Mario and staff is more than capable of fixing it.

Last edited:
I know this feels like a big miss now. He would've been our highest ranked recruit in this class. And maybe he blows up at Texas A&M and becomes a big miss. But he might bust.

Look at the top recruit in our class since 2010:

2010 - Seantrel Henderson #1
2011 - Anthony Chickillo #22
2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2018 - Lorenzo Lingard #25
2019 - Jeremiah Payton #54
2020 - Avante Williams #45
2021 - Leonard Taylor #11
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Williams/Taylor/Moss are TBD. There's some nice players, but I think Duke Johnson is really the only guy who actually moved the needle for us in Wins & Losses.

My point is a class is bigger than any one recruit. Mario was able to get Top 100 guys like Moss/Kelly/Skinner - and it's usually that volume vs a single player that makes the difference. Just keep stacking.
2016-2019

He’s where he wants to be thousands of mile from home in a nowhere place and it’s what’s best for his family for him to be there that that far away tells me enough about him.

In being out of touch and being influenced by people whom are only looking to stock up with 5 stars and not his best interest at heart.

Soon he’ll be laying down at night thinking about being far far away alone and having to fend for himself with people saying WHAT when he asks heart felt questions WHAT was that put it in triplicate form and we’ll get back with you your 50th in the QUE.

WHAT HAVE I DONE SINKS IN , well he’s snd adult he knows what’s best

PORTAL

Advertisement

I couldn't emphasize this more.
That's why I never get worked up about losing a recruit as long as the whole class is impressive.

Not to keep the Butch (Bring back Butchie) train going but one obviously great thing he did while recruiting was what he did when he lost out on top guys. At the very minimum, he always had solid backup to starter types who historically get lost in the shuffle due to so many big names.

For every Crap Thorpe we lost or that Carter safety to FSU, etc. he always had someone nearly just as good so the program would stay as strong or keep improving. Guys that were REALLY GOOD here that were solid recruits and more than above average to very good here like Markese Fitzgerald or James Lewis in the secondary, a Matt Walters at DT, Fulcher at tight end....even someone that gets forgotten like Dyral McMillan who was a solid contributor here before Edge took over, etc.

For every Shemar Stewart we lose, make sure we don't end up with a Khalil Jones/Willie Cooper bum type but at the minimum a solid contributor, and the floor of this program can be raised alone.

Adding Shemar to that DL room would have made it **** near elite in 2023. (Kelly-LT-Roberts-Shemar) Sucks we wont see that happen.

THAT SAID, the pressure of living up to that 1M deal, being away from home, pressure to be on a team that is in "we need some ROI on this 30M investment so we need to win NOW" mode...kid like this might transfer out in 2 years. Someone said his Jr year after he got hurt they questioned his mental toughness. Well, he is about to get tested like no other at college station. They didnt pay him to flash his gold teeth and make zero impact on Saturdays.

On to 2023!

Advertisement
50 Cent Smh GIF
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

We don't know that. Why say any of that you just sound butthurt.
Exactly man
It’s like the fans who claimed yearby was better than cook hahaha
Losing shemar is an L
No other way to spin it
It hurts from a player standpoint
And it was Mario’s chance to show the rest of the country that they can’t take elite south Florida guys
Like before

Advertisement
Only 19% of 4 stars and 57% of 5 stars get drafted, so I'd say they developed at pretty normal rate. We just haven't stacked enough talent.

Here’s the thing when u throw out these #’s:

-There’s only 224 draft spots available

-Per a ‘17 census, there were a total of 1,039,079 high school football players scouted, nationally. Out of that 1m+, The NCAA estimated that 300k+ are Seniors (per a Rivals report)

-Out of those 300k:
•30-33 are 5 stars
•350-380 are 4 stars
•1300-1330 are 3 stars
•1840-1860 are 2 stars
•296,000+ are UR

So u have a bigger pool of 3stars & below to choose from vs. blue chip players. The fact that a little over 1 out of 2 Five-star recruit is getting drafted is all u need to know. The fact that a little under 1 out of 5 Four-recruit is getting drafted is all u need to know.

The odds r, if u have a roster w/ a high blue chip ratio, the likelier u r to succeed both on the field, & off the field w/ drafted players. Even though we’ve been a solid program regarding our share of 4 star players, the results have not yielded under previous regimes. It’s not just about drafted; as I mentioned many times here, kids r not coming to ur school to get drafted in the 4th round or later, especially not the 5th & beyond if u’re a blue chip. Those r non-guaranteed roster draft positions. So in context, most of our 4 star kids have gotten drafted in latter rounds compared to other schools we’re chasing, which is y we’ve talked about development issues.

Last edited:

I certainly haven’t watched enough and it’s interesting that you mention weight cause I kept thinking he is almost getting too big for a kid that is insistent on playing DE. Certainly there are benefits to setting the edge and other such things, but wonder if it continues to go up whether if becomes an issue

Here’s the thing when u throw out these #’s:

-There’s only 224 draft spots available

-Per a ‘17 census, there were a total of 1,039,079 high football players scouted, nationally. Out of that 1m+, The NCAA estimated that 300k+ are Seniors (per a Rivals report)

-Out of those 300k:
•30-33 are 5 stars
•350-380 are 4 stars
•1300-1330 are 3 stars
•1840-1860 are 2 stars
•296,000+ are UR

So u have a bigger pool of 3stars & below to choose from vs. blue chip players. The fact that a little over 1 out of 2 Five-star recruit is getting drafted is all u need to know. The fact that a little under 1 out of 5 Four-recruit is getting drafted is all u need to know.

The odds r, if u have a roster w/ a high blue chip ratio, the likely u r to succeed both on the field, & off the field w/ drafted players. Even though we’ve been a solid program regarding our share of 4 star players, the results have not yielded under previous regimes. It’s not just about drafted; as I mentioned many times here, kids r not coming to ur school to get drafted in the 4th round or later, especially not the 5th & beyond if u’re a blue chip. Those r non-guaranteed roster draft positions. So in context, most of our 4 star kids have gotten drafted in latter rounds compared to other schools we’re chasing, which is y we’ve talked about development issues.
Applause. This **** can’t be written better. Get high stars and you are better, period. Year after year go to our ESPN list of recruits, invariably the majority of freshmen contributors (and in later years) are ranked the highest. Yes “Ed Reed was a 2 star or whatever”. That **** is rare now

Advertisement
Back